Under-bed stored model railway layout for a child's Christmas present 2020

Model Railway Noob

Hi, I originally built a Thomas layout for this boy when he was only four. This was my first layout just over two years ago, so I am pretty new to all this. However it is too big to keep out and there is not enough room for it in the house, so I suggested to his mum that I could build a new layout that will fit under his bed. The layout is 5ft x 3ft (needed a bit of room for the bedside table) and is on six wheels with pull handles on the side. The controls are all on the right end side. There is a Hornby controller, bank of 8 switches for lights and sounds , 5 switches for points and 2 for signals. There are sockets for each of the respective transformers and all are colour coded. The maximum height for this build because of the bed frame was only 22 cm, so I had to remove some chimneys and I couldn't add the windmill I had motorised or wind turbine I would have liked to have added.

The base is 9mm hardwood ply with a frame of pine for strength. As the 6 year old boy has a younger brother, sound could be an issue if he is in bed, so I used Plastazote foam with copydex glue. Plastazote foam is a closed cell polyethylene foam blown with nitrogen. This made quite a difference but it wasn't that easy to paint onto. However, glue bonded well to it and I was able to transport the layout an hour in my car, through a narrow entry and carry it upstairs. It nearly killed me but it got there in one piece and nothing fell off. The bottom has a 3mm hardwood ply cover to protect the wiring.

I wanted add as much interaction as possible so there are lamp posts, traffic lights (UK system), a railway crossing with alarm, a car crash and attending police vehicles, every building is lit, electric point motors, signals and two sound modules; a modern railway sound module in the railway station and an urban sound module inside the derelict farmhouse. All can be turn on and off via switches. This way the 2.5 year old can at least do something to take part.

I will post several sets of photos of the development over the next couple of days in case anyone is interested. 

The boy (kind of my step-grandson) guessed it was me that "bought it" for him but was most impressed that Santa could deliver it without him hearing a thing. He couldn't understand how Santa got it under his bed because he said it is"massive".

The cars used for the photos are the Majorette cars (all I had in the house) and they are 1:64 so a little big and some of the people were HO, so a little small but the 6 year old is fine with that. The two most important questions were, Is the boy pleased with it? and yes extremely happy and, Was I pleased with it? and it came out pretty much as I hoped it would. There were some lessons learned and new skills but I enjoyed making it. It was a rush job because I am coming out of retirement next week to go back into my nursing role for dementia.

RmWeb01.jpg

RmWeb02.jpg

RmWeb03.jpg

RmWeb04.jpg

RmWeb05.jpg

RmWeb06.jpg

RmWeb07.jpg

RmWeb08.jpg

RmWeb09.jpg

RmWeb10.jpg

RmWeb11.jpg

RmWeb12.jpg