ESU Lokprogrammer

• RMweb Premium

Hi, I have taken the plunge and bought a lokprogrammer, Recent purchases have all been ESU decoders so I thought I would delve deeper into DCC and learn how to use one of these. I have many decoders from different manufacturuers. 

My question is will the lokprogrammer only work with ESU decoders, I have several Lenz, a few Hornby, Gaugemaster, TCS etc.

Is there a list of decoders it will work with or am I confined to ESU when using this bit of kit? I havent experimented yet as I am a little worried about either messing up the decoder or programmer by trying to read an incompatible decoder.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• RMweb Premium

I'd be surprised if it does handle other decoders although it might read some of the basic CVs. from other make's.

I doubt it would do any damage to those other decoders if you did try to get it to try to read them.

JMRI's DecoderPro is pretty useful for the other decoders although it does take a long time to read the full ESU CVs whereas the Lokprogrammer fair races through them.

• Agree 3

As you'll know, LokProgrammer consists of two parts, the hardware, and the software.

Together they have 2 uses:

1. to upload sound files on to ESU decoders, and

2. to update the firmware on ESU decoders.

It also makes programming ESU decoders easier, but you don't need the LokProgrammer hardware or software to program an ESU decoder.

The LokProgrammer software has a built-in database of the CVs and their permitted values as used by each ESU decoder. That is why a new version ofthe LP software is released whenever ESU release a new decoder. This makes programming ESU decoders easier as you don't need to know the exact purpose of each CV, especially CVs 257 and above. As the LP software doesn't have this database of CVs and their uses for other makes you can't really use it for programming other makes unless you're writing a value to an individual CV.

• Agree 1

On 31/12/2020 at 22:21, GoingUnderground said:

The LokProgrammer software has a built-in database of the CVs and their permitted values as used by each ESU decoder. That is why a new version ofthe LP software is released whenever ESU release a new decoder. This makes programming ESU decoders easier as you don't need to know the exact purpose of each CV, especially CVs 257 and above. 

The same is also true of DecoderPro (JMRI), with a suitable interface for your system, or stand-alone programmer, it just takes a little longer for DP to catch up with new releases.

Just to clarify, I am only referring to basic CV programming. JMRI does not cover ESU specific features such as sound loading.

Edited by Crosland
Clarification

14 minutes ago, Andymsa said:

One issue with decoder pro is that if you don’t exactly know what decoder you have installed, when you try to identify it in decoder pro sometimes you will get multiple sections within the manufacturer of that decoder.

That's a limitation caused by the decoder maker.   If the decoder maker doesn't leave CV's in their decoder to uniquely identify the decoder, then the only way to tell decoder-A from decoder-B is to inspect the decoder hardware with your eyes.   Something your DCC system cannot do, regardless of the skills of the software writers. 

Some decoder makers are very good about having CVs in their decoders to identify the decoder, right down to hardware and firmware running on the decoder.  When that's possible, the JMRI developers include it in the code.   But other decoder manufacturers are less good, and some have nothing beyond "its made by maker X" (and a few manufacturers even get that wrong!).  

46 minutes ago, Crosland said:

The same is also true of DecoderPro (JMRI), with a suitable interface for your system, or stand-alone programmer, it just takes a little longer for DP to catch up with new releases.

For ESU decoders the "catch up" time is very short - a few months at most because Dave Heap seems to be really on top of things ESU, and in regular correspondence with ESU to ensure what he does is "correct" and covering any new features. 

- Nigel   (occasional contributor of JMRI decoder files, and have extended decoder pro stuff to correctly identify decoder models for a couple of makers)

On the subject of Lokprogrammers, I purchased one of these in about 2007 and after a flurry of activity to around 2009 mainly downloading files for my Irish stock, it has fallen into disuse. It is so old it’s PC interface is the old multi pin type.

is this hardware now useless? Can a Lokprogrammer be used with an I-pad?

Any views appreciated.

6 hours ago, Johnfromoz said:

On the subject of Lokprogrammers, I purchased one of these in about 2007 and after a flurry of activity to around 2009 mainly downloading files for my Irish stock, it has fallen into disuse. It is so old it’s PC interface is the old multi pin type.

is this hardware now useless? Can a Lokprogrammer be used with an I-pad?

Almost certainly works on a modern Windows PC with a USB-serial adaptor (cheap standard item).  The LokProgrammer software is written for Windows.   

No, an old one, or a new one, won't work on an iPad  (unless you can write your own software for iPad ....). 

• Thanks 1

There are two barriers to what you want to do.

1. Software

As Nigel has said, the Lokprogrammer software is a Microsoft Windows program that works with all versions of Windows from Windows 7 onwards. There is no Apple version of the LokProgrammer software. So to use it with an iPad you would need to install a Windows emulator on your iPad, and then install Windows. I have no idea if you can install such an emulator on an iPad as I don't own an iPad.

You would need to use the latest version of the Lokprogrammer software if you intend to work with ESU's decoders released since 2009, which you can download for free from ESU's website.

2. Hardware

You will need to connect the LokProgrammer hardware to the iPad. Now that so few computers have RS232 ports, Lokprogrammer users connect their LP hardware to their Windows computer using an RS232 to USB cable. This cable is a smart cable with a chip in it to bridge between USB and RS232. You cannot simply rewire an RS232 cable so that it has a USB plug on the other end as Norman implies.

The RS232 to USB cable that most people use has an FTDI chip in it as the Windows driver for the FTDI cable works without problems. The driver for some other makes of bridging chip were found to be incompatible with Windows 10. The USB end of the cable is a USB-A plug as found on most windows desktop and laptop computers. I  don't know if your iPad has a USB-A socket. If it doesn't then you would need to find an adapter from USB-A to whatever port you have on your iPad. There may be a smart cable or active adapter specifically for RS232 to your iPad's port which would simplify matters a bit for you.

So, if your iPad can run a Windows emulator,

AND you can install Windows on it,

AND has a USB A port (or there is an adapter to USB A from whatever port is on your iPad),

then "Yes" you can use it.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, GoingUnderground said:

You cannot simply rewire an RS232 cable so that it has a USB plug on the other end as Norman implies.

To be fair, they simply say "need to convert it" - I'm not sure why anyone would translate that to "needing to re-wire it" :P

One does not simply re-wire USB cables.

10 hours ago, Sir TophamHatt said:

To be fair, they simply say "need to convert it" - I'm not sure why anyone would translate that to "needing to re-wire it" :P

One does not simply re-wire USB cables.

I thought that "need to convert" was too vague a statement that could be misunderstood as meaning a simple rewiring job by anyone who did not realise that an active converter or bridge was required. People do misread things or make incorrect assumptions at times or do silly things. I once came across a mains extension lead in the attic of a house that a friend of ours had just bought that had a 13 Amp 3 pin plug on both ends....

Edited by GoingUnderground
clarification