EFE Rail Class 58

Global

I just wondered what the general consensus was on the newly released Class 58s?

From the photos I’ve seen on Kernow website they appear to have produced the livery better than any of the previous Heljan attempts.

Was thinking of getting the two Railfreight versions and the only thing that stood out to me was possibly the cantrail stripe being a bit on the thick side, but a minor thing compared to some of the previous versions. 

• RMweb Gold
41 minutes ago, Global said:

I just wondered what the general consensus was on the newly released Class 58s?

From the photos I’ve seen on Kernow website they appear to have produced the livery better than any of the previous Heljan attempts.

Was thinking of getting the two Railfreight versions and the only thing that stood out to me was possibly the cantrail stripe being a bit on the thick side, but a minor thing compared to some of the previous versions. 

I like it, getting an earlier coal sector one wasnt the easiest, so I just opted for my first EFE loco...

A992C514-F64E-4A83-B183-441519C705C0.jpeg.f49ae7178df4a7dd71b3a8f8cd94208a.jpeg

the orange line is accurate, I looked up a number of pictures of 018 specifically, and it had both a thick orange stripe, and the odd looking vertical orange line at the back of the cab.

92249052-5ED5-4ACD-8BAC-C466CA83137B.jpeg.11f69d29ef6fc9f27b6ef7c8005cc33b.jpeg

flickr link below (not my image).

other pictures below, but i’m quite happy with the paint finish

more below

98624D46-FE31-4E28-A330-DA7763DEDD87.jpeg

4C420EEA-A86B-48EC-8F1D-C917932B9B33.jpeg

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, adb968008 said:

I like it, getting an earlier coal sector one wasnt the easiest, so I just opted for my first EFE loco...

A992C514-F64E-4A83-B183-441519C705C0.jpeg.f49ae7178df4a7dd71b3a8f8cd94208a.jpeg

the orange line is accurate, I looked up a number of pictures of 018 specifically, and it had both a thick orange stripe, and the odd looking vertical orange line at the back of the cab.

92249052-5ED5-4ACD-8BAC-C466CA83137B.jpeg.11f69d29ef6fc9f27b6ef7c8005cc33b.jpeg

flickr link below (not my image).

other pictures below, but i’m quite happy with the paint finish

more below

98624D46-FE31-4E28-A330-DA7763DEDD87.jpeg

4C420EEA-A86B-48EC-8F1D-C917932B9B33.jpeg

Thanks for the pictures, it certainly looks good! I might have to treat myself!! 

Whilst I do like the Class 58's and living in the midlands have seen many of them.  Glad I had some on chuck-out a few years ago at between £50 and upto £79 on the later ones that featured in a sale the other year.    In that price range a bargain.  At top of the range model prices.....

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Mine going back to the shop. Losing power intermittently. Tried it with 3 different decoders and no joy. Not sure why but the board on which the decoder was mounted (don't know proper name) does not resemble (even closely) the one on the leaflet that came with it. A lot smaller and sellotaped into place (quite loose). 

• RMweb Premium

Yeah i had a look for the obvious but to be honest with a new loco there's only so much i'm prepared to do (and can do for that matter - im no expert that's for sure). Once i got it running it would go and go but after stopping it would fail to take off again unless prodded. No worries (well some) but it will be resolved. 

• RMweb Premium

I have 3 of the original Heljan 58 releases. Two in trainload, one in railfreight grey. Whilst not troubling the newest of D&E models for intricacy of detail, they stand up quite well. The only thing that’s on my ‘to do’ list is to swap out the massively thick handrails for more scale wire replacements. But as others have said, a solid performer too, well capable of pulling a scale rake of hoppers.

With the release of the Cavalex HAA on the horizon, I think these will prove popular, I’m surprised Heljan offloaded them, but I’m pleased to see them back no less. Might yet be tempted by another!

Edited by Foden

In the absence of a Dapol class 59 to stick on the front of my newly acquired rake of ARC Accurascale wagons i decided to buy an EFE Class 58 in Mainline blue (58021) via those nice people down in Cambourne (and Guildford) to put on the front. It should arrive today or tomorrow hopefully and im very much looking forward to getting hold of it, if its as good in my hands as it is in the pics i'll have no hesitation in ordering the EWS liveried 58039 to go with it.

After that (and off topic) again with no Dapol 59 on the scene i may well take the plunge and purchase a Hattons Freightliner 66 to stick on the front of my rake of Revolution Trains JNA box wagons.

• RMweb Premium
22 hours ago, rob D2 said:

Do this require a nuclear capable decoder like the earlier 47s from Heljan and are they still 8 pin please ?

8 pin Rob - i got a Zimo MX600R in mine. First Zimo ive used. Very pleased with it and would buy Zimo next time around. I don't know if that's nuclear capable but its going great.

• Informative/Useful 1

Well my model arrived of 58021 in mainline blue, very impressed..... impressed enough to log straight back on to Kernows website and order 58039 in EWS livery... This was waiting for me when i got home from work today, im now sat her looking at my two class 58s feeling very happy.

Will certainly consider more from this privatisation era as and when EFE release them, one in trainload triple grey with mainline branding would be nice.

The earlier Heljan releases that I have are all great runners, but all suffered initially from the usual Heljan 'thing' of not having all of the pickups touching the backs of the wheels. That's very easily fixed because the side frames just pull straight off, allowing ready access to the pickups to tweak them slightly where neccessary.

Several of Heljan's own releases had livery errors, including missing patches of colour, wrong fonts or even misspellings (Mainiine, anyone??). From looking at the pics of the EFE releases, these have been improved, notably the Railfreight red-stripe grey version which has the '58' in a much bolder typeface on Heljan originals, but look correct on EFE's versions.

• Agree 1

13 hours ago, GEARJAMMER said:

Well my model arrived of 58021 in mainline blue, very impressed..... impressed enough to log straight back on to Kernows website and order 58039 in EWS livery... This was waiting for me when i got home from work today, im now sat her looking at my two class 58s feeling very happy.

Will certainly consider more from this privatisation era as and when EFE release them, one in trainload triple grey with mainline branding would be nice.

You can already get the 58 in triple grey livery from Olivias of Sheffield. They had a run of several liveries done for them some years ago and still have the plain triple grey (no sector markings or BR arrows) and also triple grey with 'Mainline' branding. I bought one of the Mainline versions 3 months ago and the order went through very quickly. Olivias seem to have raised the price of the Mainline version to £150, they are down to 8. The plain triple grey is £135.

• 2 weeks later...
On 09/01/2021 at 10:32, rembrow said:

You can already get the 58 in triple grey livery from Olivias of Sheffield. They had a run of several liveries done for them some years ago and still have the plain triple grey (no sector markings or BR arrows) and also triple grey with 'Mainline' branding. I bought one of the Mainline versions 3 months ago and the order went through very quickly. Olivias seem to have raised the price of the Mainline version to £150, they are down to 8. The plain triple grey is £135.

But you are getting the old version, and the retailer is not to everyone’s taste

• Agree 1

On 03/01/2021 at 09:57, Foden said:

With the release of the Cavalex HAA on the horizon, I think these will prove popular, I’m surprised Heljan offloaded them, but I’m pleased to see them back no less. Might yet be tempted by another!

I don’t think Heljan has offloaded the model, they are simply allowing a new distributor to  brand the boxes and sell them, in theory to a bigger audience.

Heljan are releasing a further batch this year AIUI.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
On 24/01/2021 at 10:02, black and decker boy said:

Heljan are releasing a further batch this year AIUI.

Original railfreight unweathered i’d like.

just because, a Fertis one would be interesting, I dont think they ran like this in this country, but they were dumped at OOC for long enough.

1 hour ago, 7013 said:

I remember seeing lots of 58s when I lived in Didcot, so what happened to them? Did they all get sold abroad?

Withdrawn by EWS in 2002,

I believe a lot went to Spain and France for infrastructure works, majority I believe rotting around about Rouen .

• RMweb Gold

They went back out to Europe under the fertis guise of which, most of them are still out there, but only one will theoretically come back, 58050, thats if the NRM still want it.

Most of them are now on scrap wheelsets, and have had a visit from the copper fairies so wouldn't expect much more to come back.

• Agree 1