That's a bit random....?

Came across this shot of one of the ECML Car Carriers in the bay at Kelso station:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/irishswissernie/40082757584/in/album-72157689871212964/

This got me thinking (!!)... what would be the hypothetically potential reason that this particular item of rolling stock was at Kelso?

And (related) how often would such 'byline' stations see 'mainline' or otherwise 'out of place' stock?

What's the most 'unusual' train/stock anyone can think of in such circumstances?

7 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

Isn't it a race course town?

So it could be carrying cars for racegoers that have came up from London or for the owners/trainers from somewhere like Doncaster or Newmarket.

Pity that it hasn't got the date as you could possibly match it with a meeting.

Jason

Good suggestion! Didn't give that a thought. I think the cars might have been able to be unloaded at one of the sidings in the background.

Dunno. It could be cascaded rather than borrowed, I don't know when the CCT(E)s came off that duty. Its a bit academic without a date for the photo. 

Edit - there are other John Boyes photos in the same set dated 1963, some show other bogie NPCCS in the bay (GUVs, BGs) and rather a lot of Beetles and other SCVs. Interesting place. 

Edited by Wheatley
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

6 minutes ago, billbedford said:

Could it be a cripple?

Possibly. It would mean the train must've been diverted via Kelso for some reason (assuming it was dropped off to await repair) which leads to the question was it a 'service' train or perhaps ECS stock routed that way? It does provide for interesting pondering. In the same suite of photos there's a single coach (I can't tell whether it's a passenger or not) hiding behind the box and water tower on the bay/siding line on the opposite side of the station. While it might be a Kelso-Berwick service (?) it's not a convenient spot to load parcels and one does ask 'what was it doing there?' (!!)

37 minutes ago, Wheatley said:

Dunno. It could be cascaded rather than borrowed, I don't know when the CCT(E)s came off that duty. Its a bit academic without a date for the photo. 

Edit - there are other John Boyes photos in the same set dated 1963, some show other bogie NPCCS in the bay (GUVs, BGs) and rather a lot of Beetles and other SCVs. Interesting place. 

Just found another shot dated 4.9.1963 where said coach can be seen behind the passenger train on the main line.

40 minutes ago, Wheatley said:

I don't think they were downgraded until after they were painted into blue/grey with the Motorail branding. 

I've always wondered how they loaded the bottom two cars. I wouldn't want my pride and job put down there.

Jason

9 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

I don't think they were downgraded until after they were painted into blue/grey with the Motorail branding. 

I've always wondered how they loaded the bottom two cars. I wouldn't want my pride and job put down there.

Jason

In effect it is a tierwag with a body!

But those (blue/grey) are the Newton Chambers double deckers, the one at Kelso is just a CCT with branding. There were similar unbranded ones in general use. It's stabled in a bay which other photos show to have been used  by bog standard parcels stock, so Occam's Razor and all that. I've really no idea though, but neither has anyone else so far. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1