Tewkesbury Shed and Quay Branch Exhibition Layout in EM Gauge.

lezz01

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, KeithHC said:

I presume you have looked at the Gloucestershire Railway memories site “The tale of two sub sheds Tewksbury and Cheltenham Malvern road”. A few good photos with a bit of detail.

Keith

Hi Keith.

No I haven't come across that one and although I've searched for it I can't find it. If you could post a link for it I would be grateful.

Regards Lez.

12 hours ago, lezz01 said:

map.png.f46bd21bb3e811c813a38f6e2dbde618.png

As you can see the map and the photos do not match so I'm going with the photos.

Now if anyone has any plans or photos of this area please feel free to post them here as I will be very grateful for any information anyone has be that photos, drawings and plans or just general information of the shed and quay branch.

You may want to reference this site for a track plan to scale:-  https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/side-by-side/#zoom=16&lat=51.99666&lon=-2.15521&layers=168&right=BingHyb

Settings to use are OS 25 Inch 1892-1914 accompanied with bing hybrid.  It's my go to for historic maps.

HNY!

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Pete, Bob and John.

Thanks for the interest and encouragement. I'm hoping to have regular updates as work progresses.

As well as track building there will be stock and loco building as well as the actual layout build itself.

Regards Lez. 

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, B McG said:

You may want to reference this site for a track plan to scale:-  https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/side-by-side/#zoom=16&lat=51.99666&lon=-2.15521&layers=168&right=BingHyb

Settings to use are OS 25 Inch 1892-1914 accompanied with bing hybrid.  It's my go to for historic maps.

HNY!

Thanks for that B McG. I already use this site. As you say it's a goto site for maps and track layouts. 

Regards Lez.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, lezz01 said:

Hi Keith.

No I haven't come across that one and although I've searched for it I can't find it. If you could post a link for it I would be grateful.

Regards Lez.

Try this link if not do a web search for Tail of two sub sheds.

https://sites.google.com/site/gloucestershirerailwaymemories/home/locomotive-sheds-and-footplate/final-years-of-the-loco-sub-sheds-at-cheltenham-malvern-road-and-tewkesbury

Keith

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
21 minutes ago, KeithHC said:

Thanks Keith.

There are some very good photos I haven't seen before on that site. If nothing else they allow me to count bricks more accurately.

Regards Lez.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

So 3 hrs work this afternoon saw me filing B type switchblades.

20210101_162445.jpg.8ee0845984b3207dc78e4605f6cca920.jpgThese were the test ones that will be kept as spares.

20210101_182227.jpg.693a8c25d36995c68d6da2a78e392b9f.jpgThe combined switchblade and crossing vee filing jig in action.

20210101_182846.jpg.5eae7d46b72f13acbe55d1ba0b32aa99.jpgSix pairs in total. They take around 30 mins per pair to manufacture.

All in all a good afternoon's work. Next is making up the other components for each turnout. I'm planning to make all the parts first and then assemble them all at the same time rather than building each point individually. I prefer to do it that way, as a former engineer I'm used to mass production so I work the same way in my modeling. The only tools I would make individually were injection moulds as they were a lot more complicated to make than press tools.

More soon.

Lez. 

Edited by lezz01
  • Like 7

Hi Lez,

Here is a photo of an official drawing showing track alterations at the shed  and removal of the rail to the quay which you may find of interest. Good luck with your project I which, as a resident of Tewkesbury, I will follow with interest.

Robin

155686567_TewkesburyIMG_1739.JPG.6bb85544473d016ace5fcf1c829cf8c9.JPG

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
59 minutes ago, barrowroad said:

Hi Lez,

Here is a photo of an official drawing showing track alterations at the shed  and removal of the rail to the quay which you may find of interest. Good luck with your project I which, as a resident of Tewkesbury, I will follow with interest.

Robin

155686567_TewkesburyIMG_1739.JPG.6bb85544473d016ace5fcf1c829cf8c9.JPG

Hi Robin.

Thanks for that. I'm modeling the shed in late Midland/early LMS days with the branch intact. It's still very useful information though.

Regards Lez.

• RMweb Gold

Last post for the night.

I've numbered the working templates for the construction order. The components will be made and numbered the same for ease of identification during construction.

20210102_014506.jpg.da80018692b5937760ccbebe091d0f6a.jpg

First the two B6 turnouts.

20210102_014512.jpg.ce8d22fcc5491d7313874fc8a75e241c.jpg

The B8.

20210102_014517.jpg.735b4fe54996d4d6b17150737d36e0c1.jpg

Lastly the B8/B6 tandem.

That's all for today guys. Things will be a little slower tomorrow as it's time to clean out the koi pond and filter which takes the best part of 3 hours. A layer or two of bubble wrap over the net frame keeps the temp above 8 deg C without heating, so they are still eating and still need cleaning out. I'll see how much I can do after that.

Lez.

Edited by lezz01
  • Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Yesterday the postie brought me some new toys.

20210105_160930.jpg.6c420bbc335016414876e928cd1ca2b9.jpg

Two new files. A 2nd cut and a fine cut 12 inch file with handles only £8 quid each.

I was using a 10" bastard cut and an 8 inch warding file, one is too coarse and the other too fine. Oh I had options of  6" and jewelers files but it's very hard to file an even angle on switchblades with such short files so I've splashed out on some proper kit. 

Today so far I have made all the components for the turnouts for Tewkesbury. They are all bent in the correct places and as close as I can get to the correct angles working off the templates. I've also induced a slight curve to the curved rails. The components are all numbered and ready to go.

20210105_160828.jpg.626f3980a5e20785426074bf03473c08.jpgFrom top to bottom are the B8/B6 Tandem, B8 RH turnout and the two B6 L & R turnouts. It's now just a case of clearing the workbench of tools I don't need for soldering and firing up the new soldering station. It's a bit of a beast, 80W variable temp with digital readout and I haven't really gotten my head around it fully yet, all I can say so far is it seems to work really well. I just need to pop out and post a card to my sister in law, it's her birthday around the same time as mine next week and I shall crack on and hopefully there will be more to post later this evening. 

Lez.    

Edited by lezz01
  • Like 11

• RMweb Gold

Quite like this Lez. 

Tewkesbury shed is a favourite location. Very compact and full of character. 

Rob. 

Edited by NHY 581
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

Good to see someone with some proper files! Don't know how I manage without the things.

Me neither MrWolf, hence the new files.

Lez.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Well a new toy arrived today.20210107_172908.jpg.c5bf55f984fa28b0068b9f71e5d389ab.jpg

A new Switchblade filing jig from the S4 stores. Given that I've made the switchblades for Tewkesbury why do I need it.

Well it goes back to the reason I started this layout in the first place. You may recall that it started out as a way to get me interested again in modeling as my home 00 layout has been stalled for many years. Well I have to say that it has but not in the way intended. Building the trackwork for Tewkesbury has shown me two things. Firstly I love building track. Secondly open the box modeling isn't for me and it never has been. So what to do? Well the 00 gauge home layout is going. I'm going to dismantle it and sell the lot. Then I'm going to build an EM gauge layout of Dudbridge and Nailsworth in Gloucestershire. Now I don't have room for the whole of Dudbridge but I have enough room for the platforms, the junction and with a bit of compression the whole of Nailsworth. I can use most of the boards I already have and just need to construct a couple of others to connect it all together. The junction will have to be reversed and the branch that goes to Strood will now go to Nailsworth and the branch that goes to Nailsworth will go through to a fiddle yard and then around to Dudbridge as a continuous run. I've always fancied it and if I don't do it now I'll never do it at all.

In the meantime it on with Tewkesbury.     

Edited by lezz01
  • Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold

So back to track building. Progress has been a bit slow as I've been a little distracted by the shocking events in the USA. I've found myself riveted to CNN since 3rd Nov last year. Anyway Track building.

20210107_172924.jpg.f4c5c437765072d631d5f8a0ac98cb03.jpg

Starting with the B8. I've aligned the timbers and using a straight edge to ensure accuracy soldered the vee in place followed by the straight and curved closure rails.

20210107_182243.jpg.22632b4cf57e98352a63cd3ea365d8d7.jpg

It needs a little tweaking, the curved closure rail isn't upright for one thing, but overall I'm quite pleased with it. Once I've fitted the stock rails I'll move onto the Tandem and get that stabilised then come back to this one and add the check rails and switch rails. A roll of lining paper arrived today and I can now set the whole thing out full size and start thinking about baseboards and buildings.

Regards Lez. 

Edited by lezz01
  • Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• RMweb Gold

So after fitting the stock rails I've corrected the lean on the curved closure rail and adjusted the crossing flangeway. I've also fitted the check rails. I haven't yet fitted the switchblades as I want to try the new filing jig first.

20210112_181204.jpg.906eceb986111f6efddae8e56df0769e.jpg

20210112_181409.jpg.ca62e08eeb39a5a3d69953d962414203.jpg

I'll finish this one off and then see how it looks. I'm not that happy with it myself as I've built far better turnouts than this one. I might just call it a practice run and build another B8 or if I can figure how to get Templot working I might make a C8 instead. I've also given up on building the whole lot as a batch, mainly because my railway room work bench isn't very big and I'm a little cramped for space. If it was a bit warmer out in the workshop I would do it out there as I have lots of bench space there but it's not conducive to working in those sorts of temps when you have trigger finger and the colder it is the worse it gets. Yes I do have heating in the workshop but it's a fan heater and the railway room has a radiator so is warm all year round.

Lez.  

Edited by lezz01
  • Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

I've made the new switchblades using the new jig. I think they are much better.

20210114_005401.jpg.29a69a6106f82725edcdd2b16579f0a3.jpg

I've fitted the blades and now I'm thing about tie bars. I might just go with a moving sleeper type.

On a slightly different note today is my 60th birthday. I can't have a party coz of the effing plague but that isn't stopping me from having a cake. This is the cake a dear friend has made for me.

IMG-20210113-WA0001.jpg.6dbc9342064ca64be5010efa0ae4f7ce.jpg

It's a fair representation of my garden although there is a little more space in reality but not much.

Lez. 

Edited by lezz01
  • Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Round of applause 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1