An Historical Survey of Selected Great Western Stations

stevel

I am looking for a listing, regarding which stations are covered, in each volume of the books, An Historical Survey of Selected Great Western Stations.

specifically looking for stations from Somerset and Devon. Living in Canada precludes me from checking inside books for sale.

• RMweb Gold

Vol 3

16094909458281586883047.jpg.4754d602d9b06601e6178ddfaafd6a55.jpg

Vol 2:

1609490984227315437809.jpg.c42b7c35a8184becd3ba8566686a42e1.jpg

I do have volume 1 somewhere, just can't find it now. Will add when I find it.

So..i can't find my vol 1. But here is a link to a pic of the back cover..

https://www.catawiki.com/l/27205207-r-h-clark-an-historical-survey-of-selected-great-western-stations-layouts-and-illustrations-vols-1-2-en-3-1976

Not such good resolution but just about readable.

I think it's worth saying that whilst these were very good books in their day, I find them now a bit limited, given that the maps were from fixed periods with no indications of later developments. The signal diagrams seem to be from different time periods.

I think there are now much better resources online for this sort of thing, notably the NLS maps and the signalling record society. Many further books have been published which have far more details of some stations.

Ian

Edited by ikcdab
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

Be careful with the map on the end papers showing locations in Volume Two. It's the one from Volume One!

It is in my copy anyway. Useful if you can get them for a reasonable price, but I wouldn't pay a lot for them.

If it's the trackplans and maps you are interested in these are worth a look. Especially if you are looking at a specific location/area.

https://www.middletonpress.co.uk/

As an example.

https://www.middletonpress.co.uk/books/railways/western-main-lines/taunton-to-exeter.html

Jason

• 1 month later...

thanks for the replies, I posted this, and then got very busy and forgot to check. Ivybridge details are what i was looking for, mainly for the signalling diagram, but also looking for information on the Brunel station building. I will check the Signalling record society. Middleton press are out of stock for the very book that could prove useful. I am building a workshop this spring and will have a good size loft to finally build a layout.

• RMweb Gold
On 21/02/2021 at 18:22, stevel said:

Middleton press are out of stock for the very book that could prove useful. 

Is this the one?:

Ivybridge.jpg.d50c4c0c97d0d57e6690df34f46e8758.jpg

Link: https://www.normanwisenden.co.uk/1_901706_60_5-western_main_lines_newton_abbot_to_plymouth_including_totnes_quay.asp

Looks like a good price too, and says NEW and In Stock.

Edited by GWR57xx
restore images

8 hours ago, Siberian Snooper said:

Have a look on the NLS website, put in the location you're interested in and select the 25 inch map series. It's free, but not up to date.  Sorry no link at this time.

that is the map I have been using thanks

On 01/01/2021 at 16:05, Steamport Southport said:

Be careful with the map on the end papers showing locations in Volume Two. It's the one from Volume One!

The maps are correct in the 1979 edition (which appears to be the first edition of Volume 2)

I am fortunate enough to have all of. or at least the first four volumes of, An Historical Survey of Selected Great Western Stations.  They are great reference books but are a snapshot or two in time.  The Signal box diagrams are very useful.

The NLS, (National Library of Scotland,) Maps likewise ae a snapshot in time and drawn by cartographers who were not railway enthusiasts and have errors.   More seriously the series were not all drawn at the same time, but individual locations were surveyed, or re surveyed for changes in a very short timeframe. My local stations of Foss Cross and Chedworth MSWJR whose 25" maps dovetail are shown with different period track plans and that of Foss Cross during the doubling of the line a track plan which probably existed only for a few days at most, 

This can't be the only example as some maps ostensibly from the 1920s sometimes have stamped details from the 1950s.  Still a good resource.   We just consulted the NLS maps to cross reference a mistake on the County Council on line footpath map which was interesting, almost everything else had changed except the route of the path!

• RMweb Premium
On 21/02/2021 at 18:22, stevel said:

thanks for the replies, I posted this, and then got very busy and forgot to check. Ivybridge details are what i was looking for, mainly for the signalling diagram, but also looking for information on the Brunel station building. I will check the Signalling record society. Middleton press are out of stock for the very book that could prove useful. I am building a workshop this spring and will have a good size loft to finally build a layout.

Does this help? It's the signalling diagram for Ivybridge. Only low res but you may be able to get enough information. 

https://www.s-r-s.org.uk/html/gwf/S936.htm

Edited by Kris
grammer