Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Steampunk Music video

The KLF have uploaded some of their music back catalogue - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-55507226 .  This includes  Last Train to Transcentral which has a few scenes of a model railway which i think probably falls into the Steampunk category -

Think it's pre DCC so no sound effects - just the music / noise* of the KLF.

*Delete as applicable

• Like 4

• Moderators
11 minutes ago, WolfofBadenoch said:

i think probably falls into the Steampunk category -

It's better than that; it's not pretentious and it makes me smile. Plus Jimmy Cauty has some modelling cred.

• Agree 2

3 hours ago, AY Mod said:

The 'diorama' is the stuff of nightmare thanks Andy!...come back.... 14x and a auto coach on a prity end of branch line station with the mandatory engine shed, good shed, coaling stage, water tower large enough to replenish edge hill, cattle dock and a Bedford bus on station forecourt! All set a summer setting with trees in full leaf!

Some prity fine modeling with the edge of grime!

Following up Andy York's very interesting link, I spent a while looking up KLF on wikipedia, surprising how many years ago their era was.  Maybe they consider it  to be time for a comeback, and they need to make another million pounds to burn in a situationalist action.  Their re-emergence was announced by graffiti on a railway bridge in north London this year, apparently.

The 3 shipping containers of political artwork were very well created imho. Deliberately disturbing, how much so depends on your point of view.  Kind of like a Prieser catalogue re-written by J G Ballard and handed out on street corners by an anarchist group.

The link also has a sequence showing one of the containers being taken round the country by articulated truck, and displayed in public areas.  The interesting thing is a number of interviews with people who have looked through the viewing holes into the container to see the work, and their differing interpretations of it.  Made me wonder about people viewing exhibition layouts, does everyone see them in the same way (ie this is what a GWR station looked like in 1932) or do viewers have different interpretations (ie what terrible jobs those railway workers had etc. etc).

In fact, have there been any model railway exhibition or other layouts that were designed to make a political statement like KLF,  a "political" artwork rather than a "craft" display?

Finally, it seems to me that the political and social situation in this country has changed drastically in this country, with the effect of covid-19 for one thing, since these works were completed.  Therefore it would be interesting to see what James Cauty would come up with if he did something similar again.

I was almost tempted to go on e-bay to look for a Dinky toy Ford Fairlane police car and paint 23 on the roof.... 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, WolfofBadenoch said:

Think it's pre DCC so no sound effects - just the music / noise* of the KLF.

*Delete as applicable

That's not noise. This is noise.....

(Apparently they did 2 versions of this song, the radio friendly version that got it into the charts, and the grindcore version with ENT to be performed live on TV when people booked them on the back of the first version....) 

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

17 minutes ago, railroadbill said:

I was almost tempted to go on e-bay to look for a Dinky toy Ford Fairlane police car and paint 23 on the roof.... 

The real one is still around somewhere.  I posted this on another Forum a couple of years ago (22 December 2018 to be precise).....

Sitting in the bus at Bridge Street, Framlingham this afternoon, awaiting departure time, I was passed by the KLF liveried American Police car that featured in the "Doctorin' the Tardis" music video many years ago. The registration was certainly the same, but god knows what it was doing in deepest Suffolk today (unless Ed Sheeran has borrowed it....)

One of the regular passengers on the service who lived in Framlingham had seen it driving around there on a previous occasion!

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, pete_mcfarlane said:

That's not noise. This is noise.....

I'd agree. I remember watching that as an innocent teenager (possibly making a poor recording of it on to a music tape!), and being throughly disappointed! I knew nothing about KLF except they'd done a few singles, that seemed full of energy and were different to most other music of the time and i just liked listening to (and shouting along to!).

What they did that night was just noise though and was quickly recorded over!

• Like 1