Triang Clerestory to E37 conversion

I may be losing my marbles but I am sure that, some time back, someone advised that they were attempting the above conversion and posted a progress photo. I have already falsely accused both Penrhos and Coach Bogie of this foolhardiness but if the real suspect reads this, could you please, if possible,  provide a link to your post?

Many thanks

Tony

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

On 02/01/2021 at 09:03, Prometheus said:

I may be losing my marbles but I am sure that, some time back, someone advised that they were attempting the above conversion and posted a progress photo. I have already falsely accused both Penrhos and Coach Bogie of this foolhardiness but if the real suspect reads this, could you please, if possible,  provide a link to your post?

Many thanks

Tony

Lofty, Johnster: I think they’re keen on such things? Apologies to them both if they are not!

3 hours ago, 88D said:

Lofty, Johnster: I think they’re keen on such things? Apologies to them both if they are not!

Not guilty your Honour (yet).

Possibly Kandu_au ?

I think he asked about it on one of the Facebook Western groups though.

• Like 1

Thanks all for your comments, appreciated. Mikkel’s C22 conversion is first on the list and will start soon when my new saw arrives. I thought about the D37 also but wanted to at least attempt the E37 as it is quite an interesting coach (although not without significant challenge). I have a backnumber of the MRJ in the post, featuring an article about a kit-built one - that should be helpful for detail pictures. All of this may come to nothing around the central toilet partition though, but I am thinking about using an adapted door for the central window area. We’ll see, we’ll see......

Thanks again.

Tony

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Guilty as charged; I own 3 of these beasts, two brake thirds and an all second (Triang marketed this as a composite but the compartments are evenly spaced).  I've worked them up for use as an early 1950s miner's workman's train.  Interiors, new buffers, clerestory light glazing, and conversion of the Triang B1 bogies to ersatz Dean 8'6" by cutting out the tie bar and fitting footboards, real wood from lengthways split coffee stirrers, thank you Wetherspoons and Sainsburys cafe.  They still have their original Triang underframes!  I have an intention to work these further by acquiring a further brake third and cut'n'shutting it to form an all third and using a compartment to lengthen the remaining brake third to scale length, then performing a similar operation with the all  second, which would give me a 3 coach set to scale length with a 'clean' coach, similar to the final set used for the Glyncorrwg-North Rhondda miner's, but much of this awaits my acquisition of a round tuit.  The correct bogies are available from Stafford Road Works/Shapeways.

They are not bad 'layout' coaches, but of  course I'd ditch them in a hearbeat if an RTR to modern standards was avaialable!

• Like 2

On 04/01/2021 at 12:08, lofty1966 said:

Not guilty your Honour (yet).

Possibly Kandu_au ?

I think he asked about it on one of the Facebook Western groups though.

NOT GUILTY milord!
I'm buggerising around with D8, C22, and C23 in the Triang cut'n shuts....a W27 in the Collets and a D30 in the Hornby Cutnshut!
And finally they start the earthworks for the shed tomorrow, so with luck it will be up at end of month then I will have to finish retaining walls/fences, get electricals done, insulate and line it and eventually get the layout restarted for the umteenth time.
Either way hopefully I will get all that done before being taken a km up the road the the crematorium :)
Khris

• Like 3

On 04/01/2021 at 08:56, jcm@gwr said:

I think 'Mikkel' works in an earlier era, and 'Knobhead' hasn't been

on here for a few years (unfortunately), maybe 'Satan's Goldfish'?

I'll keep thinking about possible suspects!

Not guilty! Not had a chance to attack any GWR bits since moving house a couple of years ago :(

• Friendly/supportive 1

• 1 month later...

I may be guilty of some of this, but not I think an E37 I have several Triangstein monsters on the go. I posted some of the work on a thread called: Don't look too closely and it could be a D15.

Sorry I don't know how to provide a link.

You can indeed. The number of rough ones available cheaply make it a good way of getting into modifying and scratch building. The only thing that might limit your options at present is obtaining the right bogies.

Shapeways....expensive but at least you can get them reasonably if you place a large order. That is the postage becomes very negligible!
For those in the UK, why don't you look to place an order as a group?
will knock the postage cost to very little per item!
Khris

Edited by kandc_au
Re worded