Derwent Workbench

10 minutes ago, Rowsley17D said:

Although I am awaiting Essery and Jenkinson's Midland Locomotives Vol 4 their LMS Locomotives Vol 4 has photos of curved framed 2603, 2630 and 2818 with vac pipes.

Thank you - I wonder if they were so fitted for a specific traffic purpose?

Mark

• RMweb Gold

A packet from Markits arrived this morning with bits to finish the Kirtley double framed loco. The grandson (5) is arriving later this morning too for a 5-night stay so little will be done before he leaves as he doesn't know of my layout's existence yet. Perhaps when he is a little older.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
On 16/02/2022 at 09:42, MarkC said:

Thank you - I wonder if they were so fitted for a specific traffic purpose?

Mark

The Midland Locomotives Vol 4 arrived. Further photos of curved frame Kirtley 0-6-0 s with vac pipes are:

2630 (ex-2630)

2711 (ex-399)

2819 (ex-1009)

2834 (ex-1028)

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

With grandson safely back with his parents, I could return to the Kirtley goods. It's now on its own wheels for the first time having filed the hornguides in the outside frames. No fouling of the platforms either, not that it'll enter the station very often, but at least when I fit the Markits' keyed outside cranks to my Kirtley 0-4-4 WT there'll be no problems.

DSCF8593.JPG.e5376b09d532d3df34fe32a085a3336f.JPG

Edited by Rowsley17D
add photo!
  • Like 8

• RMweb Gold

Next the coupling rods were attached. The Crank pin holes were opened out to 1.2mm. The collar on the pins that the rods run on are 1mm. The rear set of wheels were removed and the chassis run as an 0-4-0. The loco ran with no binding without further opening out of the rods. The rear wheel were put back and the right rear pin attached - again no binding. The rear left pin was attached and a little binding encountered. The crank pin hole was opened out to about 1.4mm with a broach  and all ran well with manual pushing of the chassis. It's been the easiest 0-6-0 to get running that I have built.

DSCF8607.JPG.b363b4c4ba529716a2f21e3d529ec372.JPG

The centre wheels etc were removed and the motor-gearbox fitted and tested on DC. All ran well, so back on with the body.

DSCF8608.JPG.c530ddee89ddbde2540c2bb231893d2a.JPG

DSCF8609.JPG.acc09d4273622d58e8916e7711bb62f4.JPG

Just brakes and Salters valves to fit then a paint job if the weather is warn enough.

• Like 11

Those cranks do look very good - on my last outside crank loco (My Falcon Brass Kirtley 0-4-4T), some 20 years ago, I used the screw on Romford (as was) cranks, secured from behind with a locknut. A bit more of an initial faff, but it's run without problems since it first took to the rails. These, though, look to be so much easier :good:

Mark

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, MarkC said:

Those cranks do look very good - on my last outside crank loco (My Falcon Brass Kirtley 0-4-4T), some 20 years ago, I used the screw on Romford (as was) cranks, secured from behind with a locknut. A bit more of an initial faff, but it's run without problems since it first took to the rails. These, though, look to be so much easier :good:

Mark

There're extremely good, Mark as with Markits' wheels they are self quartering. A nut spinner set is needed to screw and unscrew the bits but as I have bought a set of cranks for my Kirtley 0-4-4 WT they will do that job as well in addition to other kit building jobs.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, ianwales said:

Hi Jonathan

What size wheels would I need for one of the Kirtley OSF 0-6-0's, I've recently acquired one off ebay but the centre wheel are flangeless so I'd like to re-wheel and re-motor it?

Thanks

Ian

Hi Ian, the ones I used are 21mm in diameter.