Jason's Workbench (was 3D printed buildings)

• RMweb Gold

Hi there

I printed the building in one go, roof and all. At either end at the top of the gables there are two small windows, so they let out the resin, and there doesn't seem to be a problem with suction. The only problem is the bottom of the building, but I think that's just a case of printing flat, or putting heavy supports in there.

For the interior, my plan is to cut some styrene to size for the floor, then use a cut down version of the lever frame https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3616864, and armchair https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:141703 on Thingiverse. I think I have an interior photo of the box, so I'll make the instrument shelf myself (pretty much a row of cubes). I'll knock up a quick desk as well.

• 4 weeks later...

Those pesky finials are so brittle i was forever busting these off! Looks great dude, will you be printing an interior for this? Are you printing the roof separately?

Print the finials in a flexable resin so if they do accidentally get nocked they wont bust off.

Thomas

Edited by animotion

• RMweb Gold

Hi @animotion, I don't have any flexible, but I do have a Dremel. The last time I did finials, I used the toothpick, small triangular file and the Dremel as a lathe. :) 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

BCA2F53B-B6C3-48A1-A836-F840D15104C5.jpeg.d1f537c3c4423e33d30f9ce1278f1d33.jpeg

I've finished the full Signal box print, and it includes the stairs and a chimney pot. I’m the photo above, you can see the bottom is a bit uneven. I raised the box up by 1mm to take this into account, and to allow the box to be embedded into the scenery.

I've also created a couple of bits and pieces to go in there that I’m printing this evening:

• coal scuttles
  • a frame, which I amended from the model created by FenEndPit on Thingiverse
  • a chair, which I found on free3d.com
  • and a gate wheel. There was a wheel at Havenhouse and Wainfleet, and this is an amalgamation of the two. It's also simplified as I only have one blurred photo of the one in Havenhouse, and a 3/4 view of the one at Wainfleet

I've added the models I've done or resized below.

signal box scuttles.stl

signal box table.stl

signal box shelf.stl

signal box wheel.stl

If anyone does print the signal box off, really support the middle strut between the windows, if you don't then the windows will bow out at the top. Also, I added two heavy supports under the wooden, erm, platform at the top of the stairs. I also overdid the supports on the top bannister rail, and need to do a little repair of the front post.

I just have to prime, paint and glaze the thing now.

Edited by JCL
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

Here's a quick and dirty look at the parts I'll be printing tomorrow. These are all taken (approximately) from a photo I found of the interior of Havenhouse box.

interior.jpg.3434f80cac4afa8dfea1113da539f92a.jpg

And here's the updated signal box file with the stairs

signal box 20 f.stl

Edited by JCL
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
20 hours ago, woko said:

Love the arm chair Jason cracking stuff sir

Not mine I’m afraid! However, I have resized it from the original, because it was quite flamboyantly wide.

C5D016B2-A1BA-448B-B0E4-E969E1FF5E21.jpeg.c44b046949aa6f40f347ac5fd6129542.jpeg

I printed them overnight along with another signal box. Unfortunately the signal box didn’t print well at all for some reason. Of the parts you can see above, the frame is the only one I’m disappointed with. I scaled this down from the one on a Thingiverse, but looking at it, I’m going to have to beef it up a bit. Apart from the sticking together, it disintegrates if you touch it.

048E22C2-D01E-47DE-B81E-F20A299B83CF.jpeg.c52ed2dd7cc509cd28d0fb637101df26.jpeg

The chair and wheel turned out incredibly well, and the table and instrument shelf only need a quick sand to straighten the edges as I printed them flat to the build plate.

• Like 6

You just can't beat resin printing chap, these parts look great, especially the wheel and chair as you say! I do wonder why it is that sometimes you can have a successful print, and then use exactly the same settings and the print isn't as good as the last, with exactly the same resin!

3D printing Mysteries!

Great work, looking forward to seeing this painted up, are you going to put a small LED light inside the signal to illuminate all your great work?

2 hours ago, woko said:

You just can't beat resin printing chap, these parts look great, especially the wheel and chair as you say! I do wonder why it is that sometimes you can have a successful print, and then use exactly the same settings and the print isn't as good as the last, with exactly the same resin!

3D printing Mysteries!

Random stuff like temperature & humidity may well be involved, a lot of resins change viscosity with temperature, a micro power cut might do damage, hell I'm half convinced it can be influenced by the state of the moon LOL

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
On 21/04/2021 at 06:03, JCL said:

Here's a quick and dirty look at the parts I'll be printing tomorrow. These are all taken (approximately) from a photo I found of the interior of Havenhouse box.

interior.jpg.3434f80cac4afa8dfea1113da539f92a.jpg

Hi Jason,  could I ask where you sourced the levers please?   I could do with getting some of those.

cheers,

Mike

3 hours ago, DGO said:

Random stuff like temperature & humidity may well be involved, a lot of resins change viscosity with temperature, a micro power cut might do damage, hell I'm half convinced it can be influenced by the state of the moon LOL

Very true! I was printing in my garage all summer last year, the weather changed and every print failed because the resin viscosity changed as you say! However my pal prints inside his kitchen! And he has solid results every time so he claims! So maintaining a steady temperature environment is crucial to printing!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Fen End Pit said:

Hi Mike

I put them up on the thingiverse originally. They are quite tricky to print.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3616864

David

Hi David ( @Fen End Pit)

Thanks for putting them up on Thingiverse, they're brilliant, but yes they're fragile at 4mm scale. Looking at them, the resin caused them to 'stick together' - probably as they come out of the vat. I'm going to beef them up slightly and see if that gives them a bit of strength. I'll also reinstate some of the supports.

4 hours ago, DGO said:

You're not wrong. I printed them overnight (in Canada), so, although there is a heater in there, there's every chance something happened. I've spent the day printing it again, so fingers crossed.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I've done a bit of experimentation and terrible photography.

Levers

The frame below is straight off the printer and has levers in different thicknesses. The first two are twice the size (but not the length, obviously) of the originals, and a pretty sturdy, but the gap is pretty narrow. The second pair are a little narrower, and so it goes. The four on the other end were supported, but that's not helped much as I couldn't add supports sturdy enough.

358926936_IMG_7589(2).JPG.82b82d6ed77e81039cc1cf8c51fcc104.JPG

Here are the different sizes that I used.

levers.jpg.d1a3855d3779d59c32bb739bc414de16.jpg

As it takes as long to print three as it does one, and it's only going to cost about 50p, I'm going to print three of them, all with supports:

• 1.7 times thicker
  • 1.5 times thicker
  • 1.25 times thicker 

A Fortuitous Accident

slot.jpg.f6a5fe833da8e8a3642939de60bb5d26.jpg

I've realised that during the drawing up of the signal box I managed to delete the back of the middle mullion and create a slot. Structure-wise, I assume this is why the front bows slightly outwards towards the roof, but it does mean that fitting the instrument shelf will be much easier. I've drawn up a bar behind the shelf that goes in the slot. There's a bit of play up and down to get the right position, and the length of the bar means that it's not possible to not have the shelf horizontal.

Edited by JCL
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Almost finished.

In the photo below are the first and last prints. I was able to use the first one to determine the exact shape of the floor. I modelled the chimney pot on a plastic box the same size as the chimney top, and then just filed it down to a better shape.

IMG_7604.JPG.206a0190535cc496a8981ffe27b4f0a0.JPG

Then I built it up - pretty much the same way that's described in this month's BRM. In my case using picture mount card (as I have a lot to hand) Everything fits - just. In the end, the only version of the lever frame that worked in this scale, and with my printer, was the 1.75 times thicker one.

IMG_7605.JPG.b2b553b53d3beecb33e3b2031fa9747e.JPG

A quick chat on the GNR Society forum about colours, and I've painted it as it would probably been around 1900.

IMG_7606.JPG.6c58e5dc0858d2c47192999c9eb903b0.JPG

I now need to glaze it - I need to work out how to glue it in. I've looked for Glue 'n' Glaze, but it's $30, so I'll have a look at something else.

As soon as I can light it, and before I glaze it, I'll take a final photo.

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold

I'm really pleased with it. I added some heavy duty supports to the underside. I think that, the fact it's ribbed inside, and that it's quite thin (1mm) compared to the walls, means it came out ok. I'm going to print the roof for the waiting room next and see how that compares.

I did knock off both finials, but a quick sand and some superglue has sorted that. :)

• RMweb Gold

In the end, for the photo, I've stolen a lighting insert that's supposed to look like fireflies in a jar and used that to light up the interior. I've also found some Krystal Klear for the windows.

I think I might need a bit more black on the ceiling. But glazing and signboards, then it's onto the next one.

IMG_7608.JPG.dc356161d9148f611222da66b7c5f6a7.JPG

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Round of applause 3

• RMweb Gold

Next up is the station building. I've a lot of photos of the front, platform side and road side, but there's going to be some detective work necessary regarding the sheds around the back.

Here's a couple of photos I took 4 years or so ago.

_JCL6187.jpg.943afcd896c5140f8600985f449559cc.jpg

_JCL6159.jpg.082b9448db7cce4608907a413f6d4989.jpg

Here's where I am after messing around for an hour today.

Window sizes of the station house will be finalized later as I'm going to base them on the brick size. The green section containing the gents will be printed separately. This is the area I'm going to have to squint at to make sense of it properly. In the photo above, you can see a chimney next to the waiting room. I thought it was for a fire in the waiting room, but looking at some other photos of it, it's actually detached. This means, that it's for whatever is to the right of the boarded up door.

867292391_stationbuilding.jpg.99d4f8da06e62d475902d75e07fed0e7.jpg

• Like 3

No idea what the room was used for, but it reminds me of similar "boiler" rooms I've seen on the back of old Victorian era greenhouses. P.S old pics of your station show a row of 4 fire buckets hung on the wall to the left of the boarded up door, that door appears to have always been boards even in the old pics, the lack of windows suggests perhaps a boiler room and coal shed 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi @DGO, you have had me going back through my photos (thank you!) to have another look at that door.

One I got from a very nice man in Spain (deva-bob, he's on Ebay and is a thoroughly nice man) shows that there was a sign over the door at the end of the 1950s.

291774623_lamplarge-Edit.jpg.0ccfc1116a6135a58591569b3161f8c5.jpg

This one shows the door in the 1970s or early 1980s, but unfortunately the sign's gone (dagnabbit). I remember those fire buckets from when I was a kid. :)

3353663253_0cb6ab6dc8_o.jpg.8086e6f0c88ad952415a942e7ce87108.jpg

• Like 1

I did have a look at Seacroft Station which was a mirror (more or less ) of Havenhouse, in that case there was something written on the door but I can't read the text because of the angle, now I suppose it could have been a gents toilets with the ladies accessed from a waiting room door ? I know many stations had this sort of arrangement and it would explain the lack of windows on the platform side, it would also explain why once the station became unmanned that it was closed since no one would be there to clean it. Purely supposition on my part though.

Interestingly there were originally two chimneys not just the single one so I really don't know LOL, but it would suggest that the block contained at least two rooms

Edited by DGO

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi @DGO, sorry I haven't replied, for some reason I didn't get a notification. You're right about the Ladies being in a separate place. I'll do an outside gents, and then some sheds, and next time I'm in the area, I'll knock in the door and ask if I can snoop around. :)

In the meantime, work is moving on somewhat and most of the brickwork and window placement is done.

182539728_stationbuildingblender.jpg.9952e0c1c84578659dc87cb4fb4f2a08.jpg

Looking at it on the printer, it's pretty big, and the main building takes up most of the plate. On this one, the roof is really plain, so I'm definitely doing that separately. 

395578525_stationbuilding-printer.jpg.6ec0ce5398c326fd34e6469349aedea4.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

While I'm doing the station building, here's a couple of GNR lamps I did a couple of years ago. The shorter one is in the photo in the post I wrote on May 8th.

If you look, you can see I included in the design the glass that was placed around the burner. If you open the STL, you won't see the inner glass in an STL viewer, but if you print it in transparent resin it'll be there - at least it was when I printed it in Shapeways after creating it.

lamps.jpg.632f070ec1b039a8fbdb256846a31944.jpg

Lamps.stl

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Latest update, and all the brickwork has been done - thank goodness. I've not done chimneys before, so this was a first. I based their heights on the number of brick courses they took up. The concrete base (@chris p bacon did tell me what this was called, but it escapes me) is v regular, so I'll do what I did with the signal box and file it a bit after it's printed. Windows will look better when I put the arches, and sills in.

Untitled-1.jpg.5f228286f146cb80241558e255f01b6e.jpg

• Like 4