3D printed buildings

Interesting, that's a lot of chimneys, and would suggest 2 upstairs and 4 downstairs hearth's, which would suggest two waiting rooms  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, chris p bacon said:

Flaunching......pay attention at the back boy...

All I can say is I've been listening to "The Unbelievable Truth" on Youtube and I've found out I've lost 4m brain cells since I was 35. At least I think they said that, I can't quite remember.

• Funny 1

I've finished the resin part of the station. You can see on the inside right a brace that keeps that right-hand wall vertical, but other than that there aren't any braces. I've done an approximation of the braces that I've seen on other modellers locos and wagons.

17722088_stationfinish.jpg.e0e67c15dbc9b7810d914f5a8ae753d4.jpg

After 15 hours, for a first print, the results, while unusable,  aren't too bad (if you see what I mean). Except for the fact I forgot to put supports at the bottom of the porch (easily remedied), the front looks pretty good.

1536561627_stationfinish2.jpg.967bd77166e1bb053f87e9e7e18aa514.jpg

The back - not so much. I've cleaned and sanded the build plate back to flat, and I'll check the settings and beef up that corner and separate the chimney pots and flaunch before printing again.

860046887_stationfinish3.jpg.d35192fb283c46b48486f31f4969c414.jpg

I just misspelled flaunch, and found out that faunch (US) is to display angry excitement. You learn something new every day.

• Craftsmanship/clever 2

Your last example is exactly the reason I try to break up my buildings into smaller sections, that way a bad print is only one part needing to be redone not the entire structure, that said it does mean more work involved in creating joints that can be hidden so perhaps it takes equally long in the end

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Posted (edited)

I did think about it, but was too eager to give it a go. It went wrong within the first 30 minutes, so I’m going to set it off again today, and then hang around for an hour. If it messes up again, I’ll split it up this evening. Looking at resin volume, it cost $3 (about £2 I think), later, out of idle curiosity, I’ll see if Shapeways will accept it and find out how much it would cost on there.

Edited by JCL
  • Informative/Useful 1

Interesting, on Shapeways, it's $90 in that grainy material, $609 in fine detail plastic and $80 in sandstone. Unfortunately I couldn't get a price in platinum.

• Funny 2

In the end, I thought I'd give the print another go almost as-is. The two changes I made were to remove the chimney pots, and to increase the base lift height from 1mm to 1.2mm. Doing this increased the print time from 12 hours to 17 hours, but it came out a lot better. I'm not bothered about the first 1mm as that will be hidden in the scenery.

Anyway, all was going well, I washed it down and attacked it with the air compressor to clean it off. Unfortunately I hadn't thought too deeply about that porch. The bleedin' thing was a tiny canister of resin, and as soon as I lifted the house off the plate, the sun came out from behind a cloud, it poured out of the porch, and parts of the building were covered in the resin that cured immediately!

Luckily, most of the affected bits are at the bottom of the building, so I might get away with bit of judicious gardening.

2133513896_station2-2.JPG.3e389a03e2fa4a7dc27ede51d3fdb45b.JPG

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1