Replacing Lima Pizza cutters

I'm doing a bit research for a couple of projects, upgrading my Lima 31's and an old Hornby class 25. I was wondering which wheels would be suitable replacements. I was looking at something other than ultrascale conversion packs due to cost and availability and wonder if you could use coach disc wheels and re attatch the gears? 

I've been looking I e bay for class 25 and 31chassis but haven't found anything suitable. I'm aware of the possible Mazak probs with Hornby 31's.

Railroad Hornby 31's are essentially remotored Lima 31's, and all my examples have been easy swaps into Lima shells - These chassis are all plastic...

The super detail ( expensive ) Hornby 31's have suffered with Mazak in some examples ( Affected examples listed here...https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/123769-zinc-pest-mazak-rot-the-affected-models-list/ )

I think Peter Spares was having some Lima replacement wheelsets manufactured, but don't know how far this project has got...

Edited by steviesparx
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

I have some Peter's spares Lima replacement wagon wheels. They worked well.

Before that I turned down some Lima flanges with an electric drill and a file, as per a suggestion I found on RMWeb. It sounds a bit crude, but it worked fine.

Tom

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, steviesparx said:

I think Peter Spares was having some Lima replacement wheelsets manufactured, but don't know how far this project has got...

I remember that being mentioned about 18+ months ago but I heard nothing more.

I have several models I would like to upgrade. I imagine others may have too, but I guess it depends on whether the manufacturer feels it is a worthwhile production?

• Agree 1

50 minutes ago, Pete the Elaner said:

I have several models I would like to upgrade. I imagine others may have too, but I guess it depends on whether the manufacturer feels it is a worthwhile production?

If you look at my post above yours, it shows the link to the actual replacement wheels on the Peter’s Spares site.

steve

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, steve1 said:

If you look at my post above yours, it shows the link to the actual replacement wheels on the Peter’s Spares site.

steve

The link goes to the replacement wagon wheelsets which are excellent.

Peters Spares were also talking about doing replacement loco wheels - thats what has gone all quiet.

I'm sure there would be a decent market for the loco wheelsets - along with a CD motor, a lot of decent locos could have a new lease of life!

• Agree 1

Converting diesel locos is fairly straightforward. You need to cut the gears off the back of the Lima wheels carefully with a fine razor saw and fit them too the back of the new wheels. Obviously you need to arrange new pick ups but it's not a difficult conversion. I did one to an Airfix 4f goods conversion to EM gauge some years ago.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Lack of a decent non traction tyre code 100 or 75 compatible wheel  for Lima Diesels is a problem.   I have been looking for about 20 years for my battery powered garden railway Lima  locos and never found anything.   Ultrascale wheels are great if you have (a) billiard table flat trackwork or (b) (more likely)  never run it, 

The problem is Lima diesel wheels  have a plastic gear moulded to the insulating bush which appears to be moulded into the brass  wheel, on a power bogie it 's the wheels with traction tyres .  The Airfix one is a one piece moulding of wheel and gear.  It's quite possible to attach the gear to a replacement wheel but making it stay attached and concentric when the loco is working hard may be challenging. 

I don't know what the issue is with the Lima wheels, apart from the traction tyres.  Lima 26/7/33/31/33/47 Diesel wheels are vastly better than the contemporary tiny Hornby  power bogie wheels,  (cl 50/55 and HO ones are awful.)   they  don't have particularly sharp flanges unlike some of the early, aptly named, Pizza cutter wagon wheels, they stay on code 100 track, the  traction tyres are a bit of a pain bsadly  there is no easy way to fit the non insulated  non grooved wheels to the insulated side, it may be possible to fit spare insulated centre wheels to the insulated bush and gear ( If you can find any) but  why bother.  As a final resort the Lima wheels are fairly soft so maybe grip the tyre and turn the flange down in a drill chuck

Ultrascale wheels are great if you have (a) billiard table flat trackwork or (b) (more likely)  never run it, 

I ran 2 exhibition layouts in both OO and EM using Ultrascale fitted diesels and didn't have any problems with them at all. I also know I am not alone in this.

steve

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

15 minutes ago, steve1 said:

I ran 2 exhibition layouts in both OO and EM using Ultrascale fitted diesels and didn't have any problems with them at all. I also know I am not alone in this.

steve

I have a Lima EE Type 3/Class 37 with Ultrascale wheels and similarly have no problem - runs fine and stays on the track

• Like 2

8 hours ago, sb67 said:

I'm doing a bit research for a couple of projects, upgrading my Lima 31's and an old Hornby class 25. I was wondering which wheels would be suitable replacements. I was looking at something other than ultrascale conversion packs due to cost and availability and wonder if you could use coach disc wheels and re attatch the gears? 

I've been looking I e bay for class 25 and 31chassis but haven't found anything suitable. I'm aware of the possible Mazak probs with Hornby 31's.

The OP is looking for a fix 'other than Ultrascale'....

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Re Lima 31...

why not just replace the motor bogie with a Hornby class 66 motor bogie ?

i’m part way through converting 30 Lima 31’s having taken the decision Hornbys mainstream 31 will never deliver what I want at a reasonable price.

1. Remove class 66 bogie.

2. cut the strengtheners off the 31 bogie, and approx. 2mm off the plate where the bogie screws to the Lima motor.

3. create a box shape from 1mm card board as a cradle above the motor, and drill a 5mm hole in it

4. fit new motor, to old bogie, push fit into the 5mm hole in the cradle

5. solder wires.

6. put old motor in ebay, it will sell for the same price as you paid for the 66 bogie.

for the unpowered bogie, again the Hornby 66 can provide, just swap replacements and sell on the 66 bogie with old lima wheels (though these arent worth much).

peters spares, ac models, lendons etc all have them

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, adb968008 said:

Re Lima 31...

why not just replace the motor bogie with a Hornby class 66 motor bogie ?

i’m part way through converting 30 Lima 31’s having taken the decision Hornbys mainstream 31 will never deliver what I want at a reasonable price.

1. Remove class 66 bogie.

2. cut the strengtheners off the 31 bogie, and approx. 2mm off the plate where the bogie screws to the Lima motor.

3. create a box shape from 1mm card board as a cradle above the motor, and drill a 5mm hole in it

4. fit new motor, to old bogie, push fit into the 5mm hole in the cradle

5. solder wires.

6. put old motor in ebay, it will sell for the same price as you paid for the 66 bogie.

for the unpowered bogie, again the Hornby 66 can provide, just swap replacements and sell on the 66 bogie with old lima wheels (though these arent worth much).

peters spares, ac models, lendons etc all have them

Hi ADB.

I’ve got a couple of the class 66 motor bogies and plan to do the same upgrades on a couple of Lima 31’s.

Is there any chance of a photo of the bracket you made in step 3 please to assist me.

Thanks in advance, stay safe and well.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the advice. The Peters spares link is really helpful, I've a few Lima wagons I could upgrade too. I sent him an e mail about replacement loco wheels and he said they are " in progress" but no date for completion yet. 

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 03/01/2021 at 13:38, Pete the Elaner said:

We are still working on the Drive and Dummy bogie wheels in fact the last sample landed a week ago. Things are happening slower with Coronavirus taking up all the tooling companies for PPE. Keep an eye on the website for them and soon to arrive are more Lima wagon wheels 3 hole and 8 spoked. Thanks Peter 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

1 minute ago, PetersSpares said:

We are still working on the Drive and Dummy bogie wheels in fact the last sample landed a week ago. Things are happening slower with Coronavirus taking up all the tooling companies for PPE. Keep an eye on the website for them and soon to arrive are more Lima wagon wheels 3 hole and 8 spoked. Thanks Peter 

That's great news.

Thanks for the update.

On 05/01/2021 at 06:27, sb67 said:

Thanks for all the advice. The Peters spares link is really helpful, I've a few Lima wagons I could upgrade too. I sent him an e mail about replacement loco wheels and he said they are " in progress" but no date for completion yet. 

• Like 3
  • Round of applause 1

18 hours ago, PetersSpares said:

Thanks Peter, I shall keep my eyes peeled :-)