Replacing Lima Pizza cutters

On 09/01/2021 at 10:50, PetersSpares said:

We are still working on the Drive and Dummy bogie wheels in fact the last sample landed a week ago. Things are happening slower with Coronavirus taking up all the tooling companies for PPE. Keep an eye on the website for them and soon to arrive are more Lima wagon wheels 3 hole and 8 spoked. Thanks Peter 

Just a suggestion if you do go ahead with these a version without traction tyre grooves would I suspect be appreciated by many.

• Agree 1

On 04/01/2021 at 00:37, adb968008 said:

Re Lima 31...

why not just replace the motor bogie with a Hornby class 66 motor bogie ?

i’m part way through converting 30 Lima 31’s having taken the decision Hornbys mainstream 31 will never deliver what I want at a reasonable price.

1. Remove class 66 bogie.

2. cut the strengtheners off the 31 bogie, and approx. 2mm off the plate where the bogie screws to the Lima motor.

3. create a box shape from 1mm card board as a cradle above the motor, and drill a 5mm hole in it

4. fit new motor, to old bogie, push fit into the 5mm hole in the cradle

5. solder wires.

6. put old motor in ebay, it will sell for the same price as you paid for the 66 bogie.

for the unpowered bogie, again the Hornby 66 can provide, just swap replacements and sell on the 66 bogie with old lima wheels (though these arent worth much).

peters spares, ac models, lendons etc all have them

Exactly. Lendons of Cardiff have been selling these for around £11 a pop, I think they may now be awaiting fresh supplies. Not only better wheels but a superior drive unit too at a very attractive price.

John.

Edited by John Tomlinson
typo

Is the Class 66 bogie a direct replacement for the Class 31 or is the wheel spacing the same and the frames etc just cosmetic?

I have read that is should be possible to replace the bogies on a Lima Class 50 with Class 37 bogies as this was done in real life. Of course some chassis modifications would be needed as well?

Lima used a standard bogie for their 6 axle locos, except I think (please someone confirm) Class 50 and Deltics which were a bit smaller. So 31's, 37's, 47's, 59's, 60's and 66's should all be the same bogie, with different clip on sideframes.

I assume (again someone please confirm), that the sideframes are completely interchangeable.

John.

Edited by John Tomlinson

13 hours ago, wasdavetheroad said:

I have read that is should be possible to replace the bogies on a Lima Class 50 with Class 37 bogies as this was done in real life. Of course some chassis modifications would be needed as well?

The main reason to replace the bogies on the 50 with those from a 37 is that they'd then be correct length rather than the H0 scale bogies that the 50 inherited from the Deltic, though the footsteps would be in the wrong place.  A lot of people have done the mod (particularly back in the day before the Hornby 50 appearing) but I'd be fairly confident modifications would be needed to the chassis for the longer 37 bogie to go in at the motor end at least.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Here are a couple of photos of a Hornby class 66 motor bogie I've put into an old Lima class 31.

You have to cut the sideframes off both sets of bogies, I then glued the class 31 sideframes onto the class 66 bogie frame with Devcon 5 minute epoxy - nice and strong joints!

Take care, stay safe, well and happy.

IMG_20210111_141827.jpg.6ccecc944f0447583e28e6d44e682a5d.jpg

IMG_20210111_141811.jpg.96b7a05fb380a67fbf71dee63fc25c77.jpg