Buying and Selling models to/from Europe

creweboy

2 hours ago, Bernard Lamb said:

Absolutely correct.

BUT!

If you are like SWMBO and held a valid GDR passport on moving to the UK and then obtained UK citizenship you could keep your GDR citizenship. After reunification you were entitled to be a German citizen. After Brexit as a valid GDR citizen at reunification, you were entitled to German citizenship, even if you were a UK citizen. It took a while to complete the paper work but SWMBO now has UK and German citizenship and passports. Which is a deeper explanation of what I mentioned before about coming from the East and coming under their old laws having these days some value. 

Certain people of Jewish origin can also have dual nationality I believe. But I do not want to get into that area.

I do know people from Germany who gave up their German citizenship to become UK citizens and they cannot  revert to being German citizens as they fall foul of the rule that you quote.

My apologies for being boring and going deep into politics but I don't know how to explain things without going there.

Bernard

My wife Birgit whom I married in 1981 in Berlin (Ost) was permitted to keep her GDR citizenship when we moved to England, and she had a permanent entry/exit visa for the GDR. An unusual story, indeed. A long story - but the basic reason was that the state saw her as a solid citizen, but was not happy for her to be married to an Englishman with potential visits to the UK and continue to work as a teacher. That was the compromise. The problem was land-travel to and from E Germany, as she had to apply for a transit visa for the Netherlands or Belgium and was always held up at the border. The GDR embassy in London was remarkably laid back when Birgit suggested for the reasons of travel and work it would be a good idea to apply for UK citizenship. That dual-nationality was allowed under GDR law, and the embassy gave the green light. So from then on Birgit travelled in Europe on a UK passport, and just produced the GDR one at the GDR border. Our children, born in the GDR, are in the same position - they have GDR birth certificates, and so with their mother, became citizens of the new Germany in 1990 while maintaining their British citizenship. So right now my wife, my son, my daughter and my grandchildren can use their shiny German passports to spend as long as they like in the EU - I cannot,.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 8

1 hour ago, John Harris said:

To give a specific, model related, example.

I use a model manufacturer in Belgium (Resicast) who only supplies direct to customers, the situation is explained in their latest newsletter, my highlights.

BREXIT
The UK is no longer part of the EEC and this means a number of changes!
EEC - Belgian VAT (21% VAT) will be charged on all order under £135.00
However all invoices will be in Euros and thus the exchange rate will no doubt affect the above.
(£135.00 = approx 150.00 Euro as of 01 January 2021)
An invoice and custom declaration CN 22/23 will now be included with all orders.
There should be no customs duties to pay in the UK but there could be handling charges.
Order under £135.00 can be done via the Eshop.

On orders above £135.00 no EEC - Belgian VAT (21%) will be charged.
An invoice and custom declaration CN 22/23 will be included with all orders.
However, you will have to pay UK VAT, UK Custom duties and no doubt
handling charges.

Orders over £135.00 can only be done by contacting me direct: infos@resicast.com
The UK being no longer part of EEC,
postage has increased considerably (approx 10%)
Postage delays will no doubt occur and RESICAST cannot be held responsible for these.

Finally, RESICAST cannot be held responsible for any extra duties/charges from UK customs.
In case of problem, only the EEC - Belgian laws apply.

To end things, it will no longer be possible for RESICAST to attend shows in the UK as this is no
longer possible under the new commercial agreements between the EEC & the UK.

At present they are not accepting orders from the UK, apparently HMG are not accepting the credentials of small companies, but hopefully that will be resolved.  One obvious point is that it seems sensible to restrict orders to under £135, any extra postage will be more than saved in no 'handling charges'.

I suppose the "model trade" is a minor consideration in the great scheme of things, but it occurs to me that the various national model clubs and societies, of all genres, desire to remain "non political" means that they could not lobby on the behalf of modellers.

jch

It may be useful to collect a list of countries in the EU which will not deduct local VAT and sell at excl VAT prices

The position quoted above is that the Belgian supplier will only sell excl VAT on orders over £135, and will apply Belgian VAT on orders under that.

I'm not sure that is the correct approach - if he's not applying UK VAT , he shouldn't be applying Belgian VAT, and certainly not on a "some do/some don't"  basis. Guy Rixon's comments suggest that he's goty hold of the wrong end of the stick:

The Guardian has just posted an article clarifying the rules on imports from the EU. This explains that:

-for orders under £135, the on-line retailer is supposed to collect the VAT and deliver it to HMRC [my emphasis];

-some European retailers don't want to do this, so won't supply the UK;

-some retailers are just ignoring the new rules and leaving the couriers to collect the tax on small orders.

It's possible that Shapeways have slipped into the "can't be bothered" category, which sounds to be unlawful. It's also a thing that the prices quoted on Shapeways to print one's own models are, and always have been, net of VAT, the tax being added on at checkout when it's needed. C.f. retail prices in Shapeways shops which traditionally are inclusive of tax. So I'm not sure how they're operating at the moment.

Whatever the price, I think UK VAT is going to be applied this end, so you will have 20% UK VAT + a handling fee to pay on all orders. The comment about zero duty 

seems to be correct. With this supplier, you would be better off ordering over £135 per shipment, otherwise you pay 2 sets of VAT.

I don't think he is  correct in suggesting that the Trade Agreement bans him from attending British exhibitions. I suspect that the actual issue is that he now  requires to be VAT registered in the UK to trade at British shows, and previously he has turned up in the UK , traded, and treated it as part of his Belgian activities, paying the VAT to the Belgian authorities. One can understand why HMRC might not countenance that , going forward - but it's misleading to suggest that he is forbidden to attend British exhibitions by the Trade Agreement

There are of course currently no British shows to attend, nor likely to be for a while - so this question has time to develop and be resolved. But it seems there may be practical issues now for Continental traders who want to attend British shows and do business there - but can't justify becoming UK VAT registered in order to do so. (I get the distinct impression Resicast doesn't see why he should pay the UK authorities the VAT on his UK sales, and the stance is "I'm Belgian so I pay my taxes to the Belgian Govt")

I would expect Shapeways to be big enough to register for UK VAT and apply it - it sounds like they are already set up to do this.

Phil-b259 notes that Germany won't allow suppliers to deduct German VAT, so in future all purchases from German suppliers will attract double VAT

In Belgium, clearly, the VAT can be deducted

Details for other countries awaited

It's worth pointing out that this isn't exclusively a British/Brexit issue.

I understand there have long been gripes from French modellers and model shops because they have to pay 20-25% more for German-brand  RTR than the price in Germany. This is because the German manufacturers supply German model shops directly, but refuse to supply model shops in the rest of Europe, insisting they must buy from the designated importer. Who adds his 20-25% mark up... French modellers are routinely told they must accept this - it's normal and natural. French modellers therefore  drive across the border into Germany to buy stuff - and no doubt also order online from German mail order retailers. It's tough trying to run a model shop in Eastern France...

With this new move they will be charged double VAT on all mail-order purchases from Germany, and this will effectively wipe out the saving from buying at German prices. All parties in the trade will therefore now be happy - except the actual French consumers..

Edited by Ravenser
  • Informative/Useful 1

2 minutes ago, rekoboy said:

My wife Birgit whom I married in 1981 in Berlin (Ost) was permitted to keep her GDR citizenship when we moved to England, and she had a permanent entry/exit visa for the GDR. An unusual story, indeed. A long story - but the basic reason was that the state saw her as a solid citizen, but was not happy for her to be married to an Englishman with potential visits to the UK and continue to work as a teacher. That was the compromise. The problem was land-travel to and from E Germany, as she had to apply for a transit visa for the Netherlands or Belgium and was always held up at the border. The GDR embassy in London was remarkably laid back when Birgit suggested for the reasons of travel and work it would be a good idea to apply for UK citizenship. That dual-nationality was allowed under GDR law, and the embassy gave the green light. So from then on Birgit travelled in Europe on a UK passport, and just produced the GDR one at the GDR border. Our children, born in the GDR, are in the same position - they have GDR birth certificates, and so with their mother, became citizens of the new Germany in 1990 while maintaining their British citizenship. So right now my wife, my son, my daughter and my grandchildren can use their shiny German passports to spend as long as they like in the EU - I cannot,.

A similar story to mine. We were married in Leipzig in 1974 and it then took 7months to arrange for SWMBO to be allowed to move to the UK. We were advised to get her UK citizenship for the reason you state. This was all fixed and a UK passport was issued in about 3 weeks of her arrival in the UK. Our daughter was born in the UK and always held a UK passport. She was brought up speaking German as a first language and we had no problem with her visiting the GDR. I never had a problem as long as I applied for a visa in good time and eventually I was issued with an open visa to visit any other city in the GDR. As you say the GDR authorities could be quite easy going at times.

The in laws would do the passport swap in Berlin. Go to Berlin on the GDR pass and then pick up the West German pass to come to the UK without the bother of a visa.

An added bonus of reunification is that SWMBO gets a pension paid in euros based on her time working in the GDR. Not a lot, but it buys me a few models.:D

Bernard

• Friendly/supportive 5

I left the UK in '87 to live and work in the Netherlands. I married a Dutch lady and my kids have the Dutch nationality. As soon as the the referendum results were made known, not knowing what the consequences would be I decided to play safe and apply for Dutch nationality. Normally dual nationality is not allowed but because my wife is Dutch then I was eligible and could use a fast track process. I don't understand the logic of this but never mind. The other reason was that I had already been disowned by the British government and not allowed to vote (also not in the referendum). Because I did not have Dutch nationality I could not vote in Dutch national elections. The bottom line was I was allowed to pay tax everywhere but not allowed to vote anywhere. Centuries ago the Americans thought that this was just cause to do battle with the British but I decided against declaring war. I figured dual nationality would be a lot less messy.

Edited by LimboBrit
typo
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 10

18 minutes ago, Ravenser said:

I don't think he is  correct in suggesting that the Trade Agreement bans him from attending British exhibitions. I suspect that the actual issue is that he now  requires to be VAT registered in the UK to trade at British shows, and previously he has turned up in the UK , traded, and treated it as part of his Belgian activities, paying the VAT to the Belgian authorities. One can understand why HMRC might not countenance that , going forward - but it's misleading to suggest that he is forbidden to attend British exhibitions by the Trade Agreement

I think this bit falls foul of the same rules that are making touring musicians angry.

The customs procedures to bring his stock across, not to mention the working and being paid bit, would be a quite substantial impediment if I have understood the issues correctly.

It could also affect the ablitity of European modellers bringing layouts to places like Warley or indeed GB modellers travelling to shows like Utrecht

Andy

• Agree 1

As an aside to this discussion, while reading up on the new regulations regarding individual online purchases, to and from the EU, I was surprised to discover that the new arrangements for the EU-UK and v.v. (post 1st Jan), are the same as pre-existing regulations for trade between specific parts of Spain, Italy, Germany ..and the rest of the EU.

That includes some internal Germany to Germany and Italy to Italy trade !

Those territories that are deemed outside the EU, for the purposes of VAT and customs duties, include for example, Heligoland (an island off the German North Sea coast) and Büsingen (a small part of southern Germany, completely surrounded by Swiss territory).

It also includes the Italian ski resort of Livigno (and its local territory) which is contained entirely within Italy and is part of the Lombardy region.

Other territories deemed outside of the EU for the purposes of customs duty and VAT are....

Campione d'Italia and the Italian waters of Lake Lugano, which are surrounded by Switzerland...

..and (more unstanderably) the North African, Spanish enclaves of Ceuta, Melilla.

You can't help thinking that they make matters more complicated than they need to be.

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Kylestrome said:

:offtopic:   I'm not sure where the 'straight banana' thing comes from (maybe fake news?). I've just bought some of the curliest bananas I've ever seen, here in Germany.

Back in the 1980s several of politically right wing newspapers (the Telegraph, The Sun, The Times, etc) ran a story about how the EC (as it was back then) was going to ‘ban’ bananas which did not have a sufficient enough curve in them... (or was it bananas that had too much of a curve? not that it really matters mind).

As is usual for the British press they omitted two important points.

(1) It was in fact the BRITISH GOVERNMENT who had asked for the regulation to be created in the first place and who rather than fess up when it was leaked to the press (by a young Boris Johnson no less) decided to go into bunker mode and leave the EC to carry the can for something not of their making

(2) Said regulation did not in fact prevent the sale of straight / curved bananas - it was a far more sensible document the purpose of which was actually to try and protect the traditional small West Indies producers that had traditionally supplied the UK and France since colonial days from US suppliers who thanks to volume of scale were able to offer bananas at far cheaper prices.

Edited by phil-b259
  • Like 6
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Ravenser said:

It may be useful to collect a list of countries in the EU which will not deduct local VAT and sell at excl VAT prices

Phil-b259 notes that Germany won't allow suppliers to deduct German VAT, so in future all purchases from German suppliers will attract double VAT

I think that German manufacturers can deduct German VAT.  I have placed orders (außer EU)  and they are processed  without German VAT but with a stinking great postage charge.  Bill

• RMweb Premium

Irish Mail

It is a free trade(emphasis on trade) and not free sale agreement.

It allows Business to Business transactions to be conducted without duties being applied.  It does not provide the same freedoms for Business to customer.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

Simple question, but I'm not wishing to wade through nine pages, much of which looks well-OT, to find the answer, so forgive me if its already been given:

Do we now have to pay VAT and customs duty on hobby goods ordered from Europe, as we do with stuff from the USA?

Yes -  We should, but the bureaucracy hasn't caught-up yet; Some suppliers can levy at source and give an "all-in" invoice, as some USA suppliers do

Buying from the US (and other non-EU countries) has also changed (now matching the situation buying from EU). All items under £135 should have the VAT paid by the seller straight to the UK government.

This might means some sellers who have few dealings with UK buyers simply refusing to sell here, others may ignore it and send the items, with the couriers having to extract the VAT from the buyer as before.

There certainly never used to be duty to be paid on model railway items. However the rules of origin may change that for some things.

16 minutes ago, irishmail said:

What happened to the so called 'free trade deal' that Boris supposedly negotiated with the EU just before Christmas?   A complete mess all round for everyone.  

It's free of tariffs.

The problems are  non tariff issues like VAT, Rules of origin, product certification etc

Andy

• Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, Ravenser said:

The position quoted above is that the Belgian supplier will only sell excl VAT on orders over £135, and will apply Belgian VAT on orders under that.

I'm not sure that is the correct approach - if he's not applying UK VAT , he shouldn't be applying Belgian VAT, and certainly not on a "some do/some don't"  basis. Guy Rixon's comments suggest that he's goty hold of the wrong end of the stick:

Whatever the price, I think UK VAT is going to be applied this end, so you will have 20% UK VAT + a handling fee to pay on all orders. The comment about zero duty 

seems to be correct. With this supplier, you would be better off ordering over £135 per shipment, otherwise you pay 2 sets of VAT.

There are of course currently no British shows to attend, nor likely to be for a while - so this question has time to develop and be resolved. But it seems there may be practical issues now for Continental traders who want to attend British shows and do business there - but can't justify becoming UK VAT registered in order to do so. (I get the distinct impression Resicast doesn't see why he should pay the UK authorities the VAT on his UK sales, and the stance is "I'm Belgian so I pay my taxes to the Belgian Govt")

I would expect Shapeways to be big enough to register for UK VAT and apply it - it sounds like they are already set up to do this.

Details for other countries awaited

It's worth pointing out that this isn't exclusively a British/Brexit issue.

I understand there have long been gripes from French modellers and model shops because they have to pay 20-25% more for German-brand  RTR than the price in Germany. This is because the German manufacturers supply German model shops directly, but refuse to supply model shops in the rest of Europe, insisting they must buy from the designated importer. Who adds his 20-25% mark up... French modellers are routinely told they must accept this - it's normal and natural. French modellers therefore  drive across the border into Germany to buy stuff - and no doubt also order online from German mail order retailers. It's tough trying to run a model shop in Eastern France...

With this new move they will be charged double VAT on all mail-order purchases from Germany, and this will effectively wipe out the saving from buying at German prices. All parties in the trade will therefore now be happy - except the actual French consumers..

This Belgian supplier has it spot-on.  For sales below £135.00 he must be registered for VAT with the UK Government and collect VAT on their behalf (many EU suppliers are refusing to do this).

This means UK VAT is included in his invoice to the customer and no further VAT (in theory!) will be collect at point of import.

For sales over £135.00 the UK Government doesn't require the supplier to collect the UK VAT so he can deduct the Belgian VAT and send the goods. The UK VAT will then be collected at point of import in the UK.

I suspect he's dropping UK shows because to leave Belgium and enter the UK he would need to present an ATA Carnet to Customs in both Belgium (on exit), in the UK (on entry) and again to UK (on exit) and again to Belgian Customs (on entry). Each time the Carnet has to be thoroughly checked to make sure what left Belgium is exactly the same as what is being returned. Any differences can attract huge fines. Now because hes a trader and will expect to sell items at the shows the goods out and the goods in won't match. He would then have to pay import duty/VAT on the items he sells to the UK Customs.  Each one of these checks can take many hours! 

Now I suspect most can see why said Belgian trader is thinking "why bother".

Incidentally it's likely that people taking railway layouts to European shows (or vise versa) will also need an ATA Carnet.

I speak as a Customs clearance and forwarding agent btw.....

Edited by admiles
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 6

26 minutes ago, irishmail said:

What happened to the so called 'free trade deal' that Boris supposedly negotiated with the EU just before Christmas?   A complete mess all round for everyone.  

Goods are free of import duty (providing certain rules of origin are met) but not free of VAT, or the need to complete a Customs declaration, which is what tales the time and produces the hold ups at the borders European - UK trade are now seeing.

14 minutes ago, Talltim said:

Yes -  We should, but the bureaucracy hasn't caught-up yet; Some suppliers can levy at source and give an "all-in" invoice, as some USA suppliers do

Buying from the US (and other non-EU countries) has also changed (now matching the situation buying from EU). All items under £135 should have the VAT paid by the seller straight to the UK government.

This might means some sellers who have few dealings with UK buyers simply refusing to sell here, others may ignore it and send the items, with the couriers having to extract the VAT from the buyer as before.

There certainly never used to be duty to be paid on model railway items. However the rules of origin may change that for some things.

The clarifiy the UK currently charges no import duty on "scale model trains" so only VAT (and a handling fee to pay)

• Informative/Useful 1

Daughter no.1 received a box, containing a new Pilot Case, from Germany this morning.

It was ordered online on 8th Jan, via a .co.uk online store website.

Despatch was direct from the distribution centre in Germany.

DHL delivered.

No added charges or demand for VAT etc.

Purchase price £159 (€178 at todays X rate).

32 minutes ago, admiles said:

This Belgian supplier has it spot-on.  For sales below £135.00 he must be registered for VAT with the UK Government and collect VAT on their behalf (many EU suppliers are refusing to do this).

This means UK VAT is included in his invoice to the customer and no further VAT (in theory!) will be collect at point of import.

For sales over £135.00 the UK Government doesn't require the supplier to collect the UK VAT so he can deduct the Belgian VAT and send the goods. The UK VAT will then be collected at point of import in the UK.

I suspect he's dropping UK shows because to leave Belgium and enter the UK he would need to present an ATA Carnet to Customs in both Belgium (on exit), in the UK (on entry) and again to UK (on exit) and again to Belgian Customs (on entry). Each time the Carnet has to be thoroughly checked to make sure what left Belgium is exactly the same as what is being returned. Any differences can attract huge fines. Now because hes a trader and will expect to sell items at the shows the goods out and the goods in won't match. He would then have to pay import duty/VAT on the items he sells to the UK Customs.  Each one of these checks can take many hours! 

Now I suspect most can see why said Belgian trader is thinking "why bother".

Incidentally it's likely that people taking railway layouts to European shows (or vise versa) will also need an ATA Carnet.

I speak as a Customs clearance and forwarding agent btw.....

Not quite. He is charging Belgian VAT below £135

12 minutes ago, Ron Ron Ron said:

Daughter no.1 received a box, containing a new Pilot Case, from Germany this morning.

It was ordered online on 8th Jan, via a .co.uk online store website.

Despatch was direct from the distribution centre in Germany.

DHL delivered.

No added charges or demand for VAT etc.

Purchase price £159 (€178 at todays X rate).

ordered via UK based online market place who do all the VAT work for you AIUI

Andy

• Agree 1

22 minutes ago, SM42 said:

Not quite. He is charging Belgian VAT below £135

ordered via UK based online market place who do all the VAT work for you AIUI

Andy

Well technically he's charging UK VAT as he's collecting it on behalf of HMG and paying it to them!

Edited by admiles

• Moderators
4 hours ago, Kylestrome said:

:offtopic:   I'm not sure where the 'straight banana' thing comes from (maybe fake news?). I've just bought some of the curliest bananas I've ever seen, here in Germany.

It was in Stafford Market Square on 17 May 2016; I heard him with my own two ears when he was on tour with his fact-replacement bus.

http://home.bt.com/news/news-extra/boris-johnon-got-very-angry-about-bananas-and-vacuum-cleaners-on-the-vote-leave-campaign-trail-11364061553719

Johnson went on: “This gentleman here mentions bananas. It is absurd that we are told you cannot sell bananas of bunches of more than two or three bananas.

“You cannot sell bananas with abnormal curvature of the fingers. Why should they tell us?

“This is not a matter for an international, supranational body to dictate to the British people.”

• Like 2
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

It was in Stafford Market Square on 17 May 2016; I heard him with my own two ears when he was on tour with his fact-replacement bus.

http://home.bt.com/news/news-extra/boris-johnon-got-very-angry-about-bananas-and-vacuum-cleaners-on-the-vote-leave-campaign-trail-11364061553719

It must be true then.

Andy

23 minutes ago, admiles said:

Well technically he's charging UK VAT as he's collecting it on behalf of HMG and paying it to them!

Not according to  what it says  (My bold)

4 hours ago, John Harris said:

To give a specific, model related, example.

I use a model manufacturer in Belgium (Resicast) who only supplies direct to customers, the situation is explained in their latest newsletter, my highlights.

BREXIT
The UK is no longer part of the EEC and this means a number of changes!
EEC - Belgian VAT (21% VAT) will be charged on all order under £135.00

Andy

I'm waiting to see what happens on the loco I purchased from Belgium, as it cost a lot more that £135, I also added a couple of other bits in the box.  

I paid the same price as a Belgian (which I'm sure includes Belgian VAT), I'm expecting to pay again to actually get it delivered. This could well be an expensive exercise.

I'll put it down to experience and start drawing a plan up for Ashburton....... LOL !!

Stay safe everyone.

Neil

44 minutes ago, SM42 said:

.....ordered via UK based online market place who do all the VAT work for you AIUI

That's what I assumed.

However, there are stories in the press about people who've been caught out ordering online from a .co.uk retailer, only to find that the company are actually based in an EU country, but using local URL's  and the goods have been delivered with an additional bill for VAT, duty and charges, from the courier company.

Edited by Ron Ron Ron

1 hour ago, irishmail said:

It's still in the oven.

The trade deal was the easy bit.

Just wait until they get round to dealing with banking and other service industries.:jester:

Bernard

• Agree 4