Buying and Selling models to/from Europe

creweboy

6 hours ago, Georgeconna said:

I've Spent the entire weekend helping to clear the backlog of Freight from the UK into Ireland.

Frankly from the paperwork I am getting I feel that  the Preparation that the UK Exporters took on board was next to Zero.

No Country of Origin mentioned on the paperwork - Cant Claim Preference 0% duty.

No UK COO Declaration in any shape or form. 

Vat being Levied on exports to Non Regd Cnee - That chap is gonna get a nice surprise when he sees another 21% on the cost of his exercise machine.

Wrong EORI numbers or No EORI Numbers.

No Incoterms

No Weights

and it goes on.

All this is contributing to a massive back log of Cargo in our UK Hubs and much of it cannot be processed correctly into the EU.

I doubt it's any consolation, but I heard a similar tale of woe in respect of Italian exporters to the UK from a former colleague. An additional issue was everyone insisting on selling ex works not FCA , meaning authority to lodge export entries became an issue. The other comment was that only people with some sea or air experience had a reasonable grasp of what they were doing

Clearly this is ignorance, and clearly UK exporters will get their head around it in the coming weeks (though there's a risk companies on the Continent may simply say "your problem, not mine"

But equally it's going to be a rough couple of months for everyone at the sharp end until the trade get their heads round the new procedures

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

I got a very helpful email from Amanda in Hattons as follows:

As we have a VAT registration in Ireland you will pay the VAT to us so this is then not payable when it arrives with you. All of our shipping details have been updated and this will be reflected on the labels to advise that delivered duties have been paid.

This is very helpful as it means An Post will not be charging a processing fee for collecting Irish VAT.

As I have pre orders with Rails of Sheffield and with KR Models I have e mailed both of them to see what they are doing.

Edited by Colin_McLeod
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

37 minutes ago, Colin_McLeod said:

As I have pre orders with Rails of Sheffield and with KR Models I have e mailed both of them to see what they are doing.

Rails have just charged my credit card exclusive of UK VAT for a pre-order destined for the Netherlands. I’m expecting to have to pay Dutch VAT plus handling on arrival. On the basis of this it sounds like they’re not registered for NL VAT in any case. 

This is all reminding me of a prosecco comment by our great leader from 2016... which pinned down for me how much self harm Brexit would bring.

Carlo Calenda, an Italian economics minister, said it was insulting that Johnson had told him during a recent meeting that Italy would grant Britain access to the EU’s single market “because you don’t want to lose prosecco exports”.

Calenda reported to Bloomberg: 

“Johnson basically said: ‘I don’t want free movement of people but I want the single market.' 

I said: ‘No way.’

He said: ‘You’ll sell less prosecco.’

I said: ‘OK, you’ll sell less fish and chips, but I’ll sell less prosecco to one country and you’ll sell less to 27 countries.’ ”

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/nov/16/european-ministers-boris-johnson-prosecco-claim-brexit

• Like 4
  • Agree 11

On the front page of this morning's Financial Times (25/1/21) there is an article headed "Mastercard accused of opportunism over 5 fold fee rise for EU purchases".

Mastercard (and Visa, but it isn't clear if Visa will do the same, so far they haven't announced any) levy an "interchange" fee for every debit or credit card payment that uses their networks.  An EU cap was introduced on this in 2015. Now Mastercard has said that UK-EEA payments are "inter-regional" transactions.

For credit card payments Mastercard will charge 1.5% of the transaction from UK to EU, up from 0.35%.  Debit card transactions rise from 0.2% to 1.15%. 

If companies pass on this fee increase, UK purchasers from the EU will pay more.

This isn't a requirement of Brexit as such, but it's been used as an opportunity for a financial organisation to push up it's charges.

No doubt it won't be the last.

• Agree 7
  • Informative/Useful 3

23 hours ago, Georgeconna said:

I've Spent the entire weekend helping to clear the backlog of Freight from the UK into Ireland.

Frankly from the paperwork I am getting I feel that  the Preparation that the UK Exporters took on board was next to Zero.

No Country of Origin mentioned on the paperwork - Cant Claim Preference 0% duty.

No UK COO Declaration in any shape or form. 

Vat being Levied on exports to Non Regd Cnee - That chap is gonna get a nice surprise when he sees another 21% on the cost of his exercise machine.

Wrong EORI numbers or No EORI Numbers.

No Incoterms

No Weights

and it goes on.

All this is contributing to a massive back log of Cargo in our UK Hubs and much of it cannot be processed correctly into the EU.

Strangely enough I spend most to the weekend doing the same for EU cargo into the UK with exactly the same problems!

The lack of COO declaration on suppliers invoices is costing UK imports a huge amount of money....

• Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, railroadbill said:

On the front page of this morning's Financial Times (25/1/21) there is an article headed "Mastercard accused of opportunism over 5 fold fee rise for EU purchases".

Mastercard (and Visa, but it isn't clear if Visa will do the same, so far they haven't announced any) levy an "interchange" fee for every debit or credit card payment that uses their networks.  An EU cap was introduced on this in 2015. Now Mastercard has said that UK-EEA payments are "inter-regional" transactions.

For credit card payments Mastercard will charge 1.5% of the transaction from UK to EU, up from 0.35%.  Debit card transactions rise from 0.2% to 1.15%. 

If companies pass on this fee increase, UK purchasers from the EU will pay more.

This isn't a requirement of Brexit as such, but it's been used as an opportunity for a financial organisation to push up it's charges.

It's mentioned on the BBC too 

It is partly to do with Brexit as the EU had a cap on fees, which creditcard companies can now exceed.

jch

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
21 minutes ago, John Harris said:

It's mentioned on the BBC too 

It is partly to do with Brexit as the EU had a cap on fees, which creditcard companies can now exceed.

jch

Ah yes, those pesky unelected Eurocrat's in Brussels making life easier and more affordable for us all.

• Like 4
  • Agree 14

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Neil said:

Ah yes, those pesky unelected Eurocrat's in Brussels making life easier and more affordable for us all.

By the same token it'll be interesting to see what pans out with regard to mobile roaming charges in the medium term.

• Agree 6

3 hours ago, railroadbill said:

The EU had a cap on the charge.  Now that we don't have to follow EU rules, we can make our own rules - and the only thing stopping us doing the exactly the same as before is the politicians either haven't thought about it yet or can't be arsed.  I don't blame commercial companies who raise their prices to what the market will bear if there are no consumer protection laws to stop them maximising their profits.

Edited by Michael Hodgson
  • Agree 8

3 hours ago, admiles said:

Strangely enough I spend most to the weekend doing the same for EU cargo into the UK with exactly the same problems!

The lack of COO declaration on suppliers invoices is costing UK imports a huge amount of money....

We can get around that by using importers Knowledge  on the  customs Declaration even if there is now COO statement, COO will need to be proven under Audit though.

Right ol Shambles. Just today A UK shipper just asked will I be need a shipping invoice to send packages to the EU from England. Just where have these people been!

13 hours of entries done! all great fun.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

When I order stuff from Australia I get charged the usual fees, VAT is added, handling charge etc.. annoying but my choice ultimately.

The interesting thing is when either I or my late father visited Australia (which wasn't often & certainly not now) we used to buy model railway items - my dad used to literally fill a suitcase! We were asked at customs what they were & for what purpose - we always answered they were "toys" for our own use as it's our hobby. Which of course was true. Beyond that, customs were never even remotely interested. My old man even went through the red channel on one occasion when re-entering the UK... again, not interested.

• RMweb Gold

Just discovered today that our carrier appear to be emailing and texting customers their customs fees as soon as we book a consignment, and only forwarding from the uk when settled or returning to us if not paid within 72 hours.

This would have been fine if they had made it clear this is what the process would be/is, so we could coach our customers.

2 hours ago, Neil said:

From people/'s experiences in the article it looks like VAT now applies and is  being collected) on second hand items even from private sellers.  The experience of the guy buying model cars is the one most likely to affect hobby purchases by RM web members, I would think.

• Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
On 23/01/2021 at 15:13, SM42 said:

The advantage of your situation is that you are not living in France but are married to a French citizen, so your right to live in the EU anywhere but France is protected under freedom of movement rules for spouses.

Being one generation too far removed from an Irish passport, I'm pinning my hopes on becoming a naturliased Irish citizen after moving there using  freedom of movement rules. I'm hoping there won't be an Irish gaelic  language test. Polish is hard enough

Failing that, it's a begging letter to Andrzej Duda

Andy

Or four years residency in Poland and a level B1 Polish language certificate - the latter being very much the hard bit!

Fortunately my wife got her UK citizenship before all this kicked off, so we're ok from that perspective. Amusingly she's just renewed her UK passport, so currently the only person I know with a much-vaunted blue passport is one of the very foreigners the racists wanted to get rid of!

One thing that's not clear is how we prove our freedom of movement rights when travelling to Schengen with our EU citizen spouses - do they have to go through the "non-eu" queue with us? Luckily Krakow airport is small enough that both queues are usually pretty short, and adjacent!

• Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 8

1 hour ago, Nick C said:

One thing that's not clear is how we prove our freedom of movement rights when travelling to Schengen with our EU citizen spouses - do they have to go through the "non-eu" queue with us? Luckily Krakow airport is small enough that both queues are usually pretty short, and adjacent!

That will be interesting. I presume that we will have to use different channels. The two airports that we use in Germany are also both quite small so we should be able to keep in sight of each other if any problems do crop up. We might have to carry our marriage certificates with us. Not that travel is likely in the near future.

Bernard

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Bernard Lamb said:

That will be interesting. I presume that we will have to use different channels. The two airports that we use in Germany are also both quite small so we should be able to keep in sight of each other if any problems do crop up. We might have to carry our marriage certificates with us. Not that travel is likely in the near future.

Bernard

Indeed - hopefully by the time we're allowed to travel it'll have settled down a bit and procedures will be more well established

2 hours ago, Nick C said:

If you have dual nationality, you can presumably use either channel just be careful to show them the right passport.   

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Nick C said:

How about if you're driving??

Getting off the Ferry/Train into the EU is where checks would be made, but once in the EU there are no borders between Countries, however if you fly into say Germany, then decide to fly on to another EU country, how would that work??

Cheers

Neal.

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, Calnefoxile said:

Getting off the Ferry/Train into the EU is where checks would be made, but once in the EU there are no borders between Countries, however if you fly into say Germany, then decide to fly on to another EU country, how would that work??

Cheers

Neal.

I rather suspect that once travel resumes we are going to find that GB&NI passports will be stamped with entry and exit visas.  Schengen will be taken as a single territory so entry in Zeebrugge and exit in Wroclaw will show the amount of time spent in the area.  

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, Andy Hayter said:

I rather suspect that once travel resumes we are going to find that GB&NI passports will be stamped with entry and exit visas.  Schengen will be taken as a single territory so entry in Zeebrugge and exit in Wroclaw will show the amount of time spent in the area.  

Most likely done electronically rather than with stamps I expect - however that gets complicated with those of us who are family members of EU citizens, where, as I understand it, it's 90 days per country, not 90 days in the zone as a whole...

29 minutes ago, Calnefoxile said:

Cheers

Neal.

That opens up a whole new can of worms which is way beyond the topic of this tread.

Does a dual national need dual driving licenses?

Probably a good idea in respect of insurance and car hire.

How it will impact on driving the car belonging to the friend who we stay with in Berlin remains to be seen.

Presumably flying between two Schengen countries will not be a problem as long as husband and wife travel together. Car hire on arrival in the second country will be the interesting bit.

Bernard

• RMweb Premium

Dual driving licence?  Not in France at least.  You have to surrender the UK one to get a French one.  It has to make sense otherwise you could run up points on whichever licence you felt most at ease with.

Flying within Schengen - no issues.  It is Schengen.  The borders are open.

As said entry and exit to Schengen is the key, not individual countries within Schengen.  

As for separate 90day spells if you have family in different countries within Schengen - I don't know but it sounds impossible to police and therefore unlikely.  Of course if one country is outside Schengen then it may be possible.

27 minutes ago, Bernard Lamb said:

Does a dual national need dual driving licenses?

No. You need a driving licence of the country in which you are resident. I needed to surrender my UK licence when I applied for a Dutch one. In my case I'm sure they made a mistake translating the groups. Having passed my test in a Ford Fiesta I'm now qualified to drive a truck with trailer up to a maximum weight of 12 tonnes!

• Agree 1