Buying and Selling models to/from Europe

creweboy

2 minutes ago, Cor-onGRT4 said:

Well that's an coincidence , just take a look on Parcelforce tracking and it says arrived in destination country at 14:00 today 7 July at

Den Haag inbound.

It must be just updated this last hour, because an hour ago it was not stated as this on the tracking.

So I think it will be here soon, after payment of customs duties and VAT.

Looking forward for this exclusive D class loco in SR livery

Thanks

Ben benieuwd

• RMweb Premium

There is no tracking while in Customs. The Carrier has no access to the shipment, or any information about it, until Customs finally release the shipment to the Carrier again.

On a sort of tangent what will the situation be if you take a layout complete with rolling stock to exhibit in an EU country ?

Would you have to "export/import" it with an accurate inventory to enshure that you were not trying anything untoward ?

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

I bought recently a second Kühn BR 94 from my favourite model shop in Ziesar (Land Brandenburg) and both I and Herr Ludwig, the model shop owner, were somewhat concerned as to what might happen. The parcel was sent via  Hermes and had a tracking number - after two days the parcel vanished off the radar, so to speak, and we were told every day the same message, that the parcel was in transit in Germany.  A couple of days ago I tried the tracking number again for the umpteenth time, expecting the same message, when to my amazement I was told that the parcel was at the Parcelforce (!) York depot and would be with me soon. It arrived 2 hours later. There was no evidence that the parcel had been checked nor was there a demand for any taxes. Why there had been a switch from Hermes to Parcelforce - who knows? The package had been in transit for two and a half weeks. A day later my wife received from Parcelforce a package sent from her friend in Brandenburg, originally dispatched by Deutsche Post - that package had been in transit for just three days! Again, no sign of any inspection, no taxes to pay.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Well, I recently purchased a Fleischmann BR64 DR (DCC fitted) from MSL. Dispatched DHL from Germany on Wednesday, arrived UK Friday evening — but didn't clear customs until Monday morning. Dispatched by Parcelforce to their local depot, arriving Tuesday — who then sent out a letter telling me the amount to pay. Letter arrived Thursday; paid VAT + £12 handling charge online — arrived Friday.

Points to note:

1. Handling fee has increased by 50% since Brexit.
  2. Still worked out, in total, £30 less than the UK "stockist" (who didn't have it in stock—it went straight from "new item, not yet available" to "out of stock").

• Informative/Useful 1

Hornby have a new ordering system for EU customers, this announcement is since three days on their site, just noticed it.

It says if you are ordering from the EU you can first choose of 5 languages, and all prices are in euro's and charged in euro's

on your card, so no unexpected currency exchanges.

Than they pay the EU [ country] VAT and import duty cost, so you don't have to pay any extra's on receiving, just like it works for Hattons 7 EU countries with DDP shipping.

This will make it easier for EU customers if they can not get any model in a shop anymore and Hornby does have it in stock.

Only full price , but without all extra charges and high shipping cost when buying from regular shops and free shipping from Hornby when spending over 100,- till 160,- pounds to most EU countries [ bit strange] than the average shipping cost of about 15,- pound from most shops is together with import duties mostly about 13,- euro's, an total of about 30,- euro's less , so this compensate the full RRP price from Hornby.

So over all this is a good development from Hornby for EU customers.

Hope this help   

I have just calculated what it cost if I buy a  Hornby Merchant Navy loco from an well known shop at an 10% discounted price of 162,- pound UK VAT free including shipping  of 15,- pound to the Netherlands , with Dutch VAT of 21% over total price including shipping and handling fee, it would cost 230,- euro total.

But directly ordering from Hornby RRP of 179,99 pound and free shipping over 150,- pound to the Netherlands, it will cost at the exchange rate 

of 1,20 euro a pound 216,- euro, maybe Hornby handling even an lower exchange rate , so that's  14,- euro cheaper than buying from an regular shop with all extra cost.

And faster delivering , Hornby is shipping with DPD, about 4 days that takes , and with all extra handling at customs etc. it take's a lot longer from other shops trough customs.

My shipping from Rails from 23 June is still at customs.

So this is very interesting for me and many others living in the EU. 

Edited by Cor-onGRT4
  • Informative/Useful 1

7 hours ago, Cor-onGRT4 said:

I have just calculated what it cost if I buy a  Hornby Merchant Navy loco from an well known shop at an 10% discounted price of 162,- pound UK VAT free including shipping  of 15,- pound to the Netherlands , with Dutch VAT of 21% over total price including shipping and handling fee, it would cost 230,- euro total.

But directly ordering from Hornby RRP of 179,99 pound and free shipping over 150,- pound to the Netherlands, it will cost at the exchange rate 

of 1,20 euro a pound 216,- euro, maybe Hornby handling even an lower exchange rate , so that's  14,- euro cheaper than buying from an regular shop with all extra cost.

And faster delivering , Hornby is shipping with DPD, about 4 days that takes , and with all extra handling at customs etc. it take's a lot longer from other shops trough customs.

My shipping from Rails from 23 June is still at customs.

So this is very interesting for me and many others living in the EU. 

Don't forget the handling fee that the carrier will charge you when ordering from your well known shop. Hornby will ship from an EU warehouse?? as they mentioned there will be no surprise charges or fees upon delivery!  

Ed

Very occasionally I buy the 'Model Railroader' from our local model shop - I have just discovered from this month's edition that our friends at Hattons have moved into the North American market - or is this old news that has passed me by?IMG_20210712_195625_164.jpg.29c816b9cb1a9fb96b653bdc7b2ad15d.jpg

• Agree 1

Apologies if this has been covered already, but wondering if any of the larger German / other EU retailers are actually deducting their local VAT for exports to the UK in practice? (or even collecting UK VAT instead, as the new system is supposedly designed to do)

I've tried adding items to the basket at Modelbahnshop-Lippe, Kramm, DMToys/ModellbahnUnion with the delivery address set to the UK, and/or logged in with my delivery and account address in the UK, but I haven't noticed any changes from the standard German 19% VAT.

Have any model retailers implemented export prices for UK deliveries? Or will a purchase from the EU now inevitably involve paying both local and UK VAT in practice, even if it should in theory be possible to pay only the import VAT? (perhaps some have but it only happens at the final stage of the checkout or something?)

Just checked my latest order from Menzels and the wagons on the invoice are the same price as on the website which include German VAT..... So I stand to pay the VAT twice if its stopped on the way to Scotland.

Thanks,

Neil

On 13/07/2021 at 05:01, rekoboy said:

Very occasionally I buy the 'Model Railroader' from our local model shop - I have just discovered from this month's edition that our friends at Hattons have moved into the North American market - or is this old news that has passed me by?IMG_20210712_195625_164.jpg.29c816b9cb1a9fb96b653bdc7b2ad15d.jpg

I noticed that too as they also listed Australian agents, very interesting expansion.

On 13/07/2021 at 11:18, justin1985 said:

Apologies if this has been covered already, but wondering if any of the larger German / other EU retailers are actually deducting their local VAT for exports to the UK in practice? (or even collecting UK VAT instead, as the new system is supposedly designed to do)

I've tried adding items to the basket at Modelbahnshop-Lippe, Kramm, DMToys/ModellbahnUnion with the delivery address set to the UK, and/or logged in with my delivery and account address in the UK, but I haven't noticed any changes from the standard German 19% VAT.

Have any model retailers implemented export prices for UK deliveries? Or will a purchase from the EU now inevitably involve paying both local and UK VAT in practice, even if it should in theory be possible to pay only the import VAT? (perhaps some have but it only happens at the final stage of the checkout or something?)

Modellbahnshop Lippe do deduct the German 'VAT' but the new price only shows when you go to check out, not if you just add an item to the basket. They do this even if the order is for less than £135 and they don't collect the UK VAT as the new rules suggest they should. The only  other online German store I've used since 01/01, is Elriwa and they charged me the VAT but when I pointed out I was ordering from the UK and shouldn't pay German VAT, they refunded it to me. 

• Like 1

On 13/07/2021 at 11:52, Neils WRX said:

Just checked my latest order from Menzels and the wagons on the invoice are the same price as on the website which include German VAT..... So I stand to pay the VAT twice if its stopped on the way to Scotland.

Thanks,

Neil

Neil, I'd suggest contacting Menzels and explain that they shouldn't charge you German VAT

Well, finally after three weeks my package arrived at the delivery depot,it was already a week in the country [customs?], wondering how long it will take now before I get it at the door.

This was send by Parcelforce  courier, but my first shipment from Kernow this year was shipped with Royal Mail airmail, and I could collect it after a week at the Dutch postoffice where I could do the VAT payment.

Have not yet any information how much I have to pay for VAT and handling cost.

But it looks like it passed the customs.

20210715_124602.jpg

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Cor-onGRT4 said:

Well, finally after three weeks my package arrived at the delivery depot,it was already a week in the country [customs?], wondering how long it will take now before I get it at the door.

This was send by Parcelforce  courier, but my first shipment from Kernow this year was shipped with Royal Mail airmail, and I could collect it after a week at the Dutch postoffice where I could do the VAT payment.

20210715_124602.jpg

In case anyone is interested, the NLAMSA location is an IMPC Code for a Postal Facility. NL for Holland, AMS for Amsterdam, and the last letter A-Z identifies different postal facilities in that town/city.

The Royal Mail International sorting centre near Heathrow is called GBLALA, which always makes me imagine lots of Tellitubbies running around in there.

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Ian Morgan said:

The Royal Mail International sorting centre near Heathrow is called GBLALA, which always makes me imagine lots of Tellitubbies running around in there.

Appropriate, considering the whole situation is definitely la la.

• Like 5

On 15/07/2021 at 13:07, Cor-onGRT4 said:

20210715_124602.jpg

Just an update about my parcel ,tracking  says now "your parcel is being securely at our depot or local Parcelshop and we have advised the addressee that it needs be collected.

Well this morning I found an postcard in my letterbox, saying there was a package for me from the UK, to be pay an amount of €44,82 euro.

I  biked to the postagency and collect it.

Looks like Parcelforce has now an contract with Dutch post, because 2 years ago all from Parcelforce went trough GLS.

But now about the amount to pay of € 44,82, there was no bill how this amount was calculated.

But on the shipping document Rails had filled in , an amount of 141,66 pound and 15,- pound shipping cost were stated..

Not the full amount of 166,66 pound the Dapol D class cost after the deduct of UK VAT.

I did pay 25,- pound for pre ordering, this was not in the total amount on the shipping documents.

And I believe the Dutch customs did not used the exchange rate to euro's, so they calculated the Dutch VAT over the pound amount.

This is 21% over 141,66 plus handling cost about € 13,- this comes very near the € 44,82, so this in total is the same price now if 

it was shipped directly for full price included UK VAT plus shipping and without custom clearance.

So very happy with this Dutch customs mistake

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cor-onGRT4 said:

Just an update about my parcel ,tracking  says now "your parcel is being securely at our depot or local Parcelshop and we have advised the addressee that it needs be collected.

Well this morning I found an postcard in my letterbox, saying there was a package for me from the UK, to be pay an amount of €44,82 euro.

I  biked to the postagency and collect it.

Looks like Parcelforce has now an contract with Dutch post, because 2 years ago all from Parcelforce went trough GLS.

But now about the amount to pay of € 44,82, there was no bill how this amount was calculated.

But on the shipping document Rails had filled in , an amount of 141,66 pound and 15,- pound shipping cost were stated..

Not the full amount of 166,66 pound the Dapol D class cost after the deduct of UK VAT.

I did pay 25,- pound for pre ordering, this was not in the total amount on the shipping documents.

And I believe the Dutch customs did not used the exchange rate to euro's, so they calculated the Dutch VAT over the pound amount.

This is 21% over 141,66 plus handling cost about € 13,- this comes very near the € 44,82, so this in total is the same price now if 

it was shipped directly for full price included UK VAT plus shipping and without custom clearance.

So very happy with this Dutch customs mistake

Shhh! Don't wake the sleeping customs dogs

On 14/07/2021 at 15:25, SimonBoulton said:

Neil, I'd suggest contacting Menzels and explain that they shouldn't charge you German VAT

I have emailed Menzels and as yet have had no response. 

Parcel has arrived and I have been stung £78 VAT and handling charge. Again its a larger box as it contains a DMU and a couple of wagons. It does seem to be larger box = Parcel Force (big fee), smaller box = Royal Mail (no fee). Guess Parcel Force have identified a business opportunity.

At this rate this will be my last order from them. If it wasn't for the fact the tank wagons (Albert Modell) aren't available in the UK the parcel would have gone back.

Does anyone have a list of German shops that don't charge German VAT automatically ?

Another post BREXIT transaction, another moan....

Neil

• Friendly/supportive 1

Just to say that I went onto the Menzels site last night and created an order from Grossbritanien.  I created an invoice which did exclude German VAT.  I also think there was an opportunity to type the Community Code into free text.

Bill

23 hours ago, Neils WRX said:

Parcel has arrived and I have been stung £78 VAT and handling charge. Again its a larger box as it contains a DMU and a couple of wagons. It does seem to be larger box = Parcel Force (big fee), smaller box = Royal Mail (no fee). Guess Parcel Force have identified a business opportunity.

At this rate this will be my last order from them. If it wasn't for the fact the tank wagons (Albert Modell) aren't available in the UK the parcel would have gone back.

Does anyone have a list of German shops that don't charge German VAT automatically ?

Neil

Try Modellbahn union, did order twice before, very good experience, but living in the Netherlands only EU experience, don't know if they deduct

German VAT, but you can send them an email.

They are now my prime supplier for Hornby since Hattons don't get new items, shipping cost € 12,99 by DHL for EU included UK over €350,00 spending it's free shipping.

Site language you can choose of four english, german french and even dutch, so that make it easy too.

They get regular new Hornby and Bachmann items, about a month to one and a half after the UK release date.

For me the price is the same if ordering from an UK shop, they also discount 10% of RRP.

and with cheap shipping, same price as ordering from UK.

www.modellbahnunion.com 

Edited by Cor-onGRT4
  • Informative/Useful 1

23 hours ago, Neils WRX said:

Neil

Modellbahn Shop Lippe deduct the German VAT, It is done automatically when you go to check out. If Menzels don't respond you might be able to take this up with the credit card company if that's how you paid. Also, did parcel force use the value including the German VAT to calculate the charge? 

Re the cost of the fees, there's a £12 fee regardless of the size of the parcel I believe. If there's any VAT/Customs duty to pay then they'll charge a £12 fee. I haven't had any parcels from Europe delivered by Royal Mail since 01/01/2021 so think Parcel Force might be handling them all. 

• Informative/Useful 1