X04

Guest Jack Benson

• RMweb Gold
On 04/01/2021 at 20:53, AndyID said:

They're not  very difficult to make.

DSCN4979.JPG.b9b5863b592e9de5056b2ae4e7d29feb.JPG

If you have a friend with a small lathe they could probably crank one out. The trick is to make several on one piece of brass then slice it into individual worms. I could make one for you but it would get stuck in the mail for a long time.

what's the pitch Andy?

• RMweb Gold
On 03/01/2021 at 20:59, stewartingram said:

Fair comment, but I come from the other side! I still have my old remagnetiser from servicing days, and in fact have done free re-mags for RMWebbers.

Mine's been modified so I can zap X04's etc without having to remove the magnet screw. Simple as the soft iron cores drill like butter 🙂

DSC_0542.thumb.JPG.6c2a73f71eab325a68eb823a8f033427.JPG

I've done two motors already this year, both had repairable armatures, which was nice as I'm down to my last 5 rewound ones. Must look at getting another batch done ......

Edited by RedgateModels
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 16/02/2021 at 08:19, tomparryharry said:

Someone oh here did mention the original X04 was the focus mechanism on RAF cameras.  Might be Bertiedog in the parish here. A 38-40-1 ratio is widely available, and whichever bore size you require.  Guy Williams (Pendon Museum ) spoke highly of the X04. 

The Airfix MRRC 1001 was a straight-swop option. You can still find them at auction, but silly money sometimes.  At these rates, it's not long before a manufacturer makes a cheap knock-off copy.  

I've read this somewhere, triang bible, zenith motors ?, certainly similar motors for sale in late 40's model mag war surplus. I've also the Guy Williams book he rated the motor highly and recommended it to be standard at Pendon.

Myself I tend to agree I've a fair number, they are bomb proof, like anything mechanism needs looking after, oil frequently good controller, and remember loco performance depends on other factors, weight, balance, pickups, track.

With the right conditions they are powerful,  one in an airfix kit 9F scratch built chassis pulled 100 Hornby dublo wagons round a 50 ft level track as yet nothing else has matched that 

57 minutes ago, locomad2 said:

I've read this somewhere, triang bible, zenith motors ?, certainly similar motors for sale in late 40's model mag war surplus. I've also the Guy Williams book he rated the motor highly and recommended it to be standard at Pendon.

Myself I tend to agree I've a fair number, they are bomb proof, like anything mechanism needs looking after, oil frequently good controller, and remember loco performance depends on other factors, weight, balance, pickups, track.

With the right conditions they are powerful,  one in an airfix kit 9F scratch built chassis pulled 100 Hornby dublo wagons round a 50 ft level track as yet nothing else has matched that 

This Zenith motor sold on ebay yesterday, these were I believe the balance of the stocks held by Rovex once they changed over to the fully detachable motor used in the Princess from 1952 (the first 'true' X04).

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tri-ang-Super-Twelve-Zenith-X3-Motor-amp-Gearbox-GEM-amp-ERG-recommended-/203287248501?hash=item2f54dd3e75%3Ag%3ADUEAAOSwDIpgM8cr&nma=true&si=%2FvspTMOpduihGinjwDW8NM3%2FnU0%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

s-l1600.jpg

On 16/02/2021 at 08:19, tomparryharry said:

Someone oh here did mention the original X04 was the focus mechanism on RAF cameras.  Might be Bertiedog in the parish here. A 38-40-1 ratio is widely available, and whichever bore size you require.  Guy Williams (Pendon Museum ) spoke highly of the X04. 

The Airfix MRRC 1001 was a straight-swop option. You can still find them at auction, but silly money sometimes.  At these rates, it's not long before a manufacturer makes a cheap knock-off copy.  

A version of the X04 was used by Minimodels in Scalextric cars once Triang took over the range. The 'RX' motor was wound differently because of the higher revs needed for slot cars and the front mounting was different but most of the base components were identical. The subsidiary in Spain (Exin brothers) also made them. RX motors were gradually superseded by far eastern made can motors, and were not used at all after the mid 70s. Fast forward to now and the Spanish Scalextric range is now a completely separate one, Exin having been spun off when Triang collapsed in 1971 and then sold on through different owners in the 90s. However, they make a reissue 'vintage' car every year, and since the mid-2000s these have been fitted with brand new Chinese made replica RX motors!

• RMweb Gold
On 16/02/2021 at 09:41, bigherb said:

Hornby did make a cheap version for the older B12 loco, available as a spare for a long time,14115199_B12Motor.jpg.c410076518c21a0eb370c02584e6f010.jpg actually runs rather well.

Nice, but I was thinking about the 5-pole version of the X04. I've got a couple of 7-pole motors here, but although I've tried tem out, I haven't installed them into anything yet. 

On 16/02/2021 at 09:41, bigherb said:

Hornby did make a cheap version for the older B12 loco, available as a spare for a long time,14115199_B12Motor.jpg.c410076518c21a0eb370c02584e6f010.jpg actually runs rather well.

I recognise the motor and they did one in the 0-6-0 chassis as well20210314_162147.jpg.2f83eb67ba6f55bded23a704d65a1a29.jpg

Your right it runs quite well low amp consumption, the plastic gears work well as well little noise.

The actual motor itself I've seen in some small locos OOn9 etc, I purchased some about 30 years back just the motor no gear, very thin axle, I'am not quite sure but think they were supplied in some in K's kits years ago

20210314_162147.jpg