GEM Loriot/Hydra, what prototype?

A final look around my workshop last night for something quick to build before I have to return to work on Monday revealed an unbuild GEM loriot/Hydra kit possibly manufactured before I was born! 

An hour or so of low melt soldering later and I have a Loriot

IMG_20210102_190113.jpg.366a6535619af88dee40d6b5d645dbd0.jpg

Which then led down the rabbit warren of working out what it was intended to represent.

Length of well 58mm (14'6")

Length over headstocks 105mm (26'3")

Wheelbase 84mm (21')

browse of the GWR specially constructed diagram book (and the BR equivalent) gave nothing that matched perfectly, but Loriot B, one lot of Loriot D, and Loriot H came close to both well length, and O/H. Loriot H was later discounted after a look at the shape of the frames.

I then went to the BR specially constructed wagons lists for 1953, 1956 and 1964.

Some of the Loriot B's (Lowmac WB) feature in '53 and '56, but not '64, as do 3 of the Loriot D's (as Lowmac WC's) and seem to have survived until the late 50's, with one, 42044 perhaps surviving until the early '60's ? Unfortunately it would have needed to survive for another 3 decades in engineers use to be useful for my modelling period!

1773852215_loriotcorrected.JPG.8f9dfb6cee441f3a8055524b3a155877.JPG

Jon

Edited by jonhall

I think my view is that whilst not accurate to any, its dimensionally quite close to a Loriot B or some of the D's, but I have yet to see photos of either type to have a better conclusion.

I noticed an error in the numbers of the loriot B's - I've listed the C's -0 this is now corrected in the table in the first post

Jon

Edited by jonhall