Widnes Model Centre Covid 19 Update

Widnes Model Centre

• RMweb Gold

It’s a really difficult one but I guess the staff have to consider themselves and other customers too. How do they ( and the customer refusing to wear a mask)  know if they are a non= symptomatic carrier or not  Widnes model centre haven’t disclosed if they have (and they shouldn’t by the way) if they have any medical conditions which COVID could exacerbate so maybe there is a reason they are being extra careful. Coupled with the fact it’s not a product essential to life like food they are entitled to refuse entry to anyone they choose.

Equally I would be upset about having my honesty and integrity questioned but as pointed out so many people have flaunted the rules it’s hard to pick out the genuine cases.

Its a great little shop and I have always had great service it’s up to you but maybe when all this is over you go back and give them another try and change your perception you could be missing out!

As an aside I have had COVID as far as I can recall I have not been anywhere near anyone with obvious symptoms so it’s a mystery where it came from- maybe a non symptomatic carrier?

mark

1 hour ago, Markwj said:

It’s a really difficult one but I guess the staff have to consider themselves and other customers too. How do they ( and the customer refusing to wear a mask)  know if they are a non= symptomatic carrier or not  Widnes model centre haven’t disclosed if they have (and they shouldn’t by the way) if they have any medical conditions which COVID could exacerbate so maybe there is a reason they are being extra careful. Coupled with the fact it’s not a product essential to life like food they are entitled to refuse entry to anyone they choose.

Equally I would be upset about having my honesty and integrity questioned but as pointed out so many people have flaunted the rules it’s hard to pick out the genuine cases.

Its a great little shop and I have always had great service it’s up to you but maybe when all this is over you go back and give them another try and change your perception you could be missing out!

As an aside I have had COVID as far as I can recall I have not been anywhere near anyone with obvious symptoms so it’s a mystery where it came from- maybe a non symptomatic carrier?

mark

i agree its a difficult one but in all honesty how many people will now decide no i wont bother anymore, i may well give the shop another go in future but in all honesty not just with this but 53a as well its making me very bitter towards shops in general, when you are exempt for a real reason due to reasons that are no one else's business in all honesty (i have been very open about mine) but a lot of people don't feel comferterble talking about it. i will quiet happily discuss my condition but some issues linked with it to which I am exempt are quiet personal so wont tell you cos it isn't needed.

i honestly think shops don't need to jump on this picking and choosing of customers who are exempt its bad enough the abuse we get from normal people in shops.

this argument reminds me of the flailing and bellowing problem, people who just wane see and listen had it spoilt by so called "bashers" and i am equally as guilty for it flailing about out of windows.

as i have said i wish them every good will for now and after the pandemic but it has once again left another very bitter taste in my mouth, and in honesty when it came to abuse from people towards someone who IS DISABLED is disgusting as i say i will keep to the words of my health care people and not some assumingly qualified social media expert.

Hi Liam,

Sorry you feel this way. May l point out that we are not a shop to interrogate customers and the post l think you are referring to was not posted by ourselves. Looks like that post has now been removed but I do recall you posting on there.

If you consider our shop and therefore my family to be discriminating against people with disabilities may l be permitted to state the following?

From 1992 until 2006, my family and I gave up nearly all  of our annual leave and a lot of weekends  to assist in the UK with Disabled Sport. We travelled the world at our own expense to help organise and assist in Disability sports. I myself was a Director of the Charity. I am proud to say l was able and honoured to represent England in international tournaments. My wife was selected to represent Canada in the World Championships. Sadly age and our own business meant we had to step down but still keep in touch with the organisation.

Still very much miss the camaraderie and was only reminiscing on New Year’s Day with my disabled sport partner of the time when we were British Masters Champions three years on the run.

Still think we are ‘that type of shop?’

• Friendly/supportive 3

23 minutes ago, Widnes Model Centre said:

Hi Liam,

Sorry you feel this way. May l point out that we are not a shop to interrogate customers and the post l think you are referring to was not posted by ourselves. Looks like that post has now been removed but I do recall you posting on there.

If you consider our shop and therefore my family to be discriminating against people with disabilities may l be permitted to state the following?

From 1992 until 2006, my family and I gave up nearly all  of our annual leave and a lot of weekends  to assist in the UK with Disabled Sport. We travelled the world at our own expense to help organise and assist in Disability sports. I myself was a Director of the Charity. I am proud to say l was able and honoured to represent England in international tournaments. My wife was selected to represent Canada in the World Championships. Sadly age and our own business meant we had to step down but still keep in touch with the organisation.

Still very much miss the camaraderie and was only reminiscing on New Year’s Day with my disabled sport partner of the time when we were British Masters Champions three years on the run.

Still think we are ‘that type of shop?’

it was a observation i made not a statement, i don't claim to know you personally or anyone who works for you, but the whole situation does come across that way certainly with the comments that where made not by yourself but patrons to the shop (claimed to be anyway) kind of puts you off going again.

i hope i do get to visit yourself again as i was greatly impressed by the shop but as said previously its left a very bitter taste.

i apologise if you have found insult in what iv said im simply giving my opinion on what i know and have seen.

i do wish you all the best and certainly do not deserve the abuse you have received i want to clear i have not condoned that behaviour BUT the same as with ANY shop who takes this action of picking and choosing customers (because that is how i and many others have taken it) isn't fair because at the end of the day the simple fact is the whole situation on masks ect are just dividing the UK even more than it already is.

this isn't the only situation where the few (well more than normal admittedly) are spoiling it for the majority who do have a reason, as i say its all opinion and not a direct attack at your self's.

i myself before my health issues also supported our local disabled children's youth club (which i attended as a child for a none linked issue) before and as silly as it sounds more so since my major life changes, and i applaud you for the help you have given as its well needed but with the discrimination that was already present before covid but since it has become a lot lot worse.

Edited by lwnameplates

• RMweb Premium

"By law businesses must remind people to wear face coverings where they are required, for instance using signage. If necessary, police can issue fines to members of the public for non-compliance." Quoted directly from the Government website guidance for shops - Section 6.2 - Face Coverings. https://www.gov.uk/guidance/working-safely-during-coronavirus-covid-19/shops-and-branches#shops-6-2

Yes - the same guidance in Section 6.2 also states "Some people don’t have to wear a face covering including for health, age or equality reasons."

If a shop worker politely asked someone to wear a face mask, and you say you are exempt then the shop has done 'all it can'. Staff cannot prove you are exempt. The staff are unlikely to know of every exemptible medical condition out there. On the flip side you must also consider the shop must take into account the safety of it's own staff and other customers - and the laws they are being required to follow right now.

Without a full recording of interactions, had the shop staff been rude about the lack of face covering then maybe there is a right to complain, and it is always within your right not to shop there. If the attitude from the customer is immediately rudely defensive from a polite question then that would be a cause for concern.

It's annoying to be the outsider, to be the one who is always questioned, to feel like you are being picked on - but that is how it is right now. No it's not fair.

It's not fair to put you in a position where you feel like you need to defend yourself, and it's not fair to put shop workers in a position where they may not get a polite response.

Edit: If either side takes a hostile approach to the situation, that's when things get unacceptable.

Edited by maq1988

When I was working and someone came in without a mask, I always asked if they had one.

Out of about a dozen occasions, only three were genuine exemptions.

the others were mostly “ooh sorry, I completely forgot, I’ll just go and get it from the car...”

reminding customers does not equal discrimination.

Edited by Trains4U
  • Like 1
  • Agree 3

ok ok ok slow down a little guys when someone is wearing a lanyard and visually is struggling there is a diffrence i haven't mentioned reminding about mask so lets stop there before it gets taken out of context all over again. i have simply mentioned if someone has a GENUINE REASON and you refuse entry on that basis it doesn't look good and its no wonder people have the same opinion as myself with the same attitude to outcome of not causing trouble but just not going again.

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, lwnameplates said:

ok ok ok slow down a little guys when someone is wearing a lanyard and visually is struggling there is a diffrence i haven't mentioned reminding about mask so lets stop there before it gets taken out of context all over again. i have simply mentioned if someone has a GENUINE REASON and you refuse entry on that basis it doesn't look good and its no wonder people have the same opinion as myself with the same attitude to outcome of not causing trouble but just not going again.

Hi lwnameplates - I believe that's the difficulty right now, determining genuine reason without it coming across as hostile. Around here (Leicester) the majority of people I see maskless in shops don't have a lanyard and that is likely where the most of the problem arises, nor however do I think it's fair to 'label' people either by forcing lanyard wearing.

It's tough for both sides. How we respond is important. At least throughout the discussion everyone feels that assault is absolutely uncalled for.

2 minutes ago, maq1988 said:

Hi lwnameplates - I believe that's the difficulty right now, determining genuine reason without it coming across as hostile. Around here (Leicester) the majority of people I see maskless in shops don't have a lanyard and that is likely where the most of the problem arises, nor however do I think it's fair to 'label' people either by forcing lanyard wearing.

It's tough for both sides. How we respond is important. At least throughout the discussion everyone feels that assault is absolutely uncalled for.

even on facebook I never justified assault on the staff at all, i can understand the frustration of people but as has been said these people are probably not exempt at all.

i refused to wear one for a long time because apart from my walking stick there is no visual reference to my health and like to keep it that way but decided best to wear one.

I'm just glad on here I'm not been brandished "ignorant, stupid, liar" as on facebook hence my leaving the group mentioned although i doubt anyone will care cos i know i don't haha plenty of there pics on my newsfeed to look at hahahaha.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, lwnameplates said:

decided best to wear one

Good move; it's better for you if you can, others around you too and particularly the shopkeeper everyone has been visiting - they should not be placed at risk either.

It's all academic again now anyway with regard to non-residential retail, too many have chosen to do too little.

2 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

Good move; it's better for you if you can, others around you too and particularly the shopkeeper everyone has been visiting - they should not be placed at risk either.

It's all academic again now anyway with regard to non-residential retail, too many have chosen to do too little.

i was referencing the lanyard not a mask although when visiting the hospital i do wear a mask.

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, lwnameplates said:

i was referencing the lanyard not a mask although when visiting the hospital i do wear a mask.

So you could wear one when visiting a shop -although I do recognise your comments were more regarding the way you were asked rather than what you were asked.

i do apologise with the response, I am not answering this when you know nothing of my condition, the fact when i do have one on i constantly have to take it off and put back on.

so to avoid the arguments iv already faced from people i am not replying to that comment as its tiering complicated and every time i have explained it no one cares anyway as its different to what they want to hear and wrong in there eyes even if it is justified with health care professionals 

12 minutes ago, Markwj said:

So you could wear one when visiting a shop -although I do recognise your comments were more regarding the way you were asked rather than what you were asked.

If someone had Autism environment/surroundings may make a genuine difference to stress/coping levels albeit the majority of autistics seem to usually be fine with masks :) 

Edited by centraltrains

• Administrators
2 hours ago, maq1988 said:

It's not fair to put you in a position where you feel like you need to defend yourself, and it's not fair to put shop workers in a position where they may not get a polite response.

This pretty much says it all. If anyone can come up with a solution other than closing shops that keeps staff safe AND doesn't cause problems with people who genuinely can't wear face coverings, I'm sure the whole world would be interested. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

27 minutes ago, Phil Parker said:

This pretty much says it all. If anyone can come up with a solution other than closing shops that keeps staff safe AND doesn't cause problems with people who genuinely can't wear face coverings, I'm sure the whole world would be interested. 

amen to that 

• Agree 1

I remember the days when you needed to wear a gas mask when in Stinky.... :prankster:

Anyone local will know what I mean. The stench from all the chemical works was extremely overwhelming and only soothed by the smell of crisps from Golden Wonder. Different flavour depending on what they were making that week.

I still can't smell Crispy Bacon or Cheese & Onion without thinking of Widnes.

That's not to mention all the rivers being strange bright colours like yellow, orange or blue, and running straight into the Mersey. Ditton Brook near where Hattons is now was particularly bad. It's all clean now with dolphins, trout and otters!

Jason

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

I remember the days when you needed to wear a gas mask when in Stinky.... :prankster:

Anyone local will know what I mean. The stench from all the chemical works was extremely overwhelming and only soothed by the smell of crisps from Golden Wonder. Different flavour depending on what they were making that week.

I still can't smell Crispy Bacon or Cheese & Onion without thinking of Widnes.

That's not to mention all the rivers being strange bright colours like yellow, orange or blue, and running straight into the Mersey. Ditton Brook near where Hattons is now was particularly bad. It's all clean now with dolphins, trout and otters!

Jason

Reminds me of when I lived in Hull - depending on the wind you either got a not so delicate bouquet of some disgusting chemical process - or chocolate. I know which one I preferred!