Hunslet Engine Works in 7mm Scale

Andy Ross

• RMweb Gold

More progress over the weekend with the structure for the working MOD loco.

The roof is rolled to shape first and then I form the corners around some 3mm rod held in small vice.

IMG_1352.jpg.9c1d0dcbdade78fd7975dd252addbe4c.jpg

The joins with the cab sides are in the same place as the real Hunslet cab. 

The roof is held in place and I tacked with the Iron at the corners then soldered up.

IMG_1353.jpg.743e27ef5e2b8e25148f7c32e19cdb8a.jpg

Once it is all soldered up the positioning tabs are filed off and it is all cleaned up.

IMG_1355.jpg.993bc1e4e1181e0df5fd2303a69b7298.jpg

Also put the rear casing, radiator casing and the fuel tank together. I have not fitted the bottom plate on the fuel tank for this one as the motor will fit up into this. 

IMG_1354.jpg.754cdcb9fd1a0363def6ddea5fcd8115.jpg

And finally I have made the gearbox torque arm bracket and torque arm from it own little etch that will fit on the frames. 

IMG_1356.jpg.c9c2245d61ce86ef107bbe14937d5a97.jpg

More updates to follow. 

Edited by Trams and Locos
  • Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Gold

Just a reminder of what it needs to look like when it is finished. 

img498.jpg.6fa459cc69df892b2159ec798d0a9270.jpg

© Hunslet Engine Company 

Does anyone know were I can get 7mm scale German buffers from.

Thanks 

Andy

• Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

So a little bit of progress on the second MOD loco that will be the working one. 

I have removed the wheel sets so I can solder more parts on. 

The side valances are now fitted and I haves soldered on the checker plate panels. I am really please with how these have come out.IMG_1376.jpg.d6deab5ea0cabb61798fdeef1c29ea11.jpg         IMG_1378.jpg.b24494e5ab9668323902817aa3b03ae6.jpg

The engine casing is next. 

On another note my friend Ken has built the new temp baseboard for the doors which I am collecting tomorrow, So I will transfer the structure and get as far as I can without the new etched parts that I hope will turn up next week. This should give me enough time to assemble the new door mechanism before our exhibition on the 23rd and 24th of October. 

More updates to follow.

Andy

• Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

The weekend has been spent on the working version of the MOD loco. 

As I have still to get over not having engines and compressors etc to fit I thought I would fit all the casing doors. This proved to be painful as it is all well and good making all these separately to go on pallets etc around a loco in build, putting them all together was very fiddly. In addition as I have drawn everything full size from the original drawings and then scaled them down some of the overlaps were so small they did not work. In future I will draw two versions of the doors, separate and all closed. 

On saying all that it does not look too bad as seen below.

IMG_1384.jpg.453bf823ca2d26938912c19ca20ada83.jpg    

I am really please with the exhaust cowling.  

There is still plenty to do but it will be ok like this for our exhibition. 

The next job is to sort out the door display. I collected the temp board on Friday and will start transferring the mechanism parts tomorrow. But I am still waiting for new etches so it may be a bit touch and go. 

Andy 

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

Based on the comment above see below a closer photo of the louvers.

IMG_1388.jpg.868ad006ebee8f46d049185371732786.jpg

As I said above the doors were drawn full size including the lovers as drawn. You will see from the drawing below they are punched out by a special tool in the sheet metal shop and are drawn with the bottom line only.  When I scale these down I added a top line and and put a small gap between each louver.

1523892949_CasingDoor.JPG.f90001042a3be125f187f91b6371d959.JPG

The whole door is then set up to be half etched except the louvers and the boss for the door handles - handles to be fitted after painting. 

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

13 hours ago, Trams and Locos said:

The whole door is then set up to be half etched except the louvers and the boss for the door handles - handles to be fitted after painting. 

Very clever I was wondering how you'd got such a neat finish, now I know LOL

David

Really enjoying this thread - great subject and great workmanship.

I'm wanting to see the completed layout but I think this is certainly a case of the journey being as fulfilling as the end result.

I'm sure I read somewhere on the www (possibly 3 years back?) that Don Townsley was working on a book covering Hunslet's diesel era, but the trail has gone cold - can anyone throw any light on this?

• RMweb Gold

Thank you for the comments. 

Don is the president of our society and I can confirm that he is still on with his next book on Hunslet Diesels. We have not seen him for a while but we are hoping he will attend our exhibition the weekend after next. If he does I will ask for an update.

Andy  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

All set up for the Leeds Model Railways Society Exhibition this weekend at the Grammar School.

The door display  works and after a couple of hick ups the cranes are both working. (I forgot how to work some of the DCC). 

Lots of other things to see at the show - got to this page for more details https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/forum/101-area-groups-clubs-societies-exhibitions-social/

If you have been following please say hello. 

Andy Ross 

IMG_1402.jpg.09a33433a29b227b13ea0984ee1d0117.jpgIMG_1401.jpg.6959fc77f31901edc507bfe2c1b99634.jpgIMG_1400.jpg.03c93937dff4a7fc59619ec3ec0d6c6a.jpgIMG_1399.jpg.d0f70612166cb1417ec2e3f469592e8c.jpgIMG_1398.jpg.8fa2cb0f0adf86802291ece272de2ec7.jpg

• Like 15
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

• RMweb Gold

It was good to get the display out to an exhibition and the positive feed back was very welcome. 

The new side door display worked perfectly all weekend and the cranes performed most of the time. 

The Crab on the original crane did start acting up with a strange short that kept appearing. There were several improvements made when I built the second one and I have been delaying stripping the original to include these but the time has come to get on with it. 

We did manage to wheel the MOD loco a few times over the weekend and by having some friends there watching how it is done we have come up with a few ideas that could make this more reliable. Once I have these drawn up I will put on here for comment. 

Thanks to everyone who stopped to chat. 

Andy 

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Since the show other than a bit of drawing I have to admit to not much in the way of progress. 

During the exhibition a fellow member was filming while we were attempting to wheel the MOD loco and to be fair he caught one of the more successful attempts. So I thought I would put it on here. 

As I said in the previous post there are a couple of ideas to improve this and all being well we have one of these proven and mocked up at the next exhibition. 

Andy 

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Its been quite a while since my last post and I have to be honest since our exhibition a few weeks ago I just stopped working on the layout for a while.  I needed to stand back from it for a while, I even considered building something totally unrelated. But after a while I began to consider what the next target needed to be.

What I did realised is that I needed to get into a position were I can design the baseboards so I can get these built and start getting the main structure assembled. Most of the steel work is made and ready to go. There is just one more lattice cross beam to solder up and I think two lengths of crane track beams to do as well.  

But before we sort the base board top which I intend to get laser cut I need to know were all the location are required for the wheel shop. I also need to finalise the design of the pit in the main workshop. 

On the original mock up the wheel shop was drawn and made as the original pitched roof structure which was made out of timbers but when you look at the photos from the late sixties onwards most of this was removed and replaced with a steel lean too type structure. Only one bay of the wooded structure remained. Although I have always said the time period will be woolly I have come to the conclusion that the lean too structure would be better for the model. This means yet more drawing to design the structure which is what I have be doing for the last week. 

Unlike the main structure I have no access to any original drawings and I have had to work of the photo below plus zooming in on other photos looking through from the erecting shop. 

115706353_Wheelshop.jpg.70718a738e1f0935c2ececfd9b86d1e4.jpg

1899903647_WheelShop5.jpg.455f5cd2dcce93c5fe7828cf581f51f7.jpg

See extract from the drawing below - I need to convert all the bit to etches. 

572321492_DrawingWheelShop1.jpg.9f9fe9929da084d697c6d61ba098b0c5.jpg

Once the etches are drawn I will update. 

Andy 

• Like 5
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold

I am planning on making the crane the question will be is wether it will be a working one..

everything is so much smaller on this one so driving it could be an issue.

On saying that the design of the crane running beam has allowed for insulating the rail if I need to so we will have to wait and see. 

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

So Its taken a while but the next etch is ready to go to PPD. 

This will do one span of the lean too. It also has some detail bits on for the Snowden Diesel locomotive. 

I have also done  most of the structure drawings for the Snowdon loco a while back so I might get these finished and laid out so I can send them both off together. 

image.png.6bd7bafc1848c0b29a9e6754d2c65804.png

When I get the Snowdon parts I might start a new thread for the loco as I am, as with the others, building it like the real thing with all the drive as the prototype with the only drive via the pinions with the wheels free rotating on the axles. 

the frame and pinions are shown below.

image.png.0fa4a2ae7bfa2259f33fcc45591b6fed.png

image.png.1b400238e2eafc444b8ac7208335759a.png

The hub that goes on the axle is called a Pallet and when the pinion go on the keys it off sets the teeth so one is always engaged in the rack. 

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 6

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

So I have slowly but surely been drawing parts for the Snowdon Diesel Loco.  Frames are already made and can be seen in the photos above. Cab, radiator casing, fuel tank, cranks and coupling rods all drawn full size to be reduced down to 7mm scale and modified into etches. The single axle bogies are already done along with the bogie brake gear and these are on the the wheel shop structure waiting to go for etching. The gear box still needs starting along with some of the engine casing and the exhaust cover. 

DSCF0028.JPG.5af50322583b9e4bdfc548f1a4bb6e96.JPG

This is from a 2005 visit the year before they started rebuilding the Summit building.  No 9 was the first diesel - there are four in total. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As a distraction today I have had a look at the original crane crab which as stated before needs modifying. This started to fail at our exhibition back in October with one of the issues being the pick ups starting to short - it was also noted that the crab structure starts to twist slightly with all the loads from the lifting which also impacts on the pickup on the wheels. 

Pete Kirmond suggested that it might be better to use a skate for the pickup and that he had some Marklin ones he would send to try. The first one he found was too long but he found a shorter version which looks like it might work.

IMG_0002.jpg.c07a7a59c1e8f83bbc30677a8dba0591.jpg

So the plan is to remove the phosphor bronze wire pick ups and to glue this to the copper clad already fitted.  

As you can see I have removed the rope ready for all the other modifications as listed below with the relevant parts.

IMG_0003.jpg.5d4c0ce924c2dae210af7f44ffcb02fb.jpg

The original drum was made in one piece, this proved to be an issue as there are two ropes and for the block (hook) to sit level you had to get both ropes exactly the same length. The new ones are in two halves with grub screws to each side can be adjusted. 

The drums were turned by Pete Kirmond and although he thought he set the pitch for the new drums the same as the original it turned out a lot finer pitch which turned out to be one of those lucky accidents as this worked out to be so much better for the longer rope that also needs fitting. 

IMG_0004.jpg.a6c3b50814e531d20e50173cdd362577.jpg 

The etched drum end plates stop the ropes running off. The one with the hole in provides a proper anchor point for the rope. 

Also shown is the parts for the modified block now made from Tungsten to get as much weight into it as possible. Pete had come across this when making chassis for his 2mm fine scale locos. 

IMG_0005.jpg.9fd5c031675497821bc94e110f02b1f6.jpg

These etches are for mounting the motors in the main crane structure for the long travel. The original crane had the motors soldered onto some angles across the brass gearboxes. These were used on the second crane and worked well so while the crab is being sorted these will also be fitted. 

As and when I start he mods I will update with photos etc. 

All please have a good New Year and I hope to see you at exhibitions through the year. The first being Narrow Gauge North in March, followed by York at Easter.

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

So after weeks of inactivity on the layout  I have finally made a start with sorting the crab out from the original crane. 

The first thing to do was to remove the original drum. This had been pinned to the shaft and when i started pulling on the pin the end broke off so that was the end of that. The pin through the gear had similar issues so I had to resort to getting the piercing saw out .

IMG_0178.JPG.476e5c6e81c47c85f35ffb0832a7d24c.JPG

I had to cut the shaft to release the drum and then through the dummy gearbox to get the sprocket out. 

You can see all the bits below.

IMG_0179.JPG.3e2b56120718eb958687a183c2dd36b1.JPG

As I had said in the last post the pick up on the wheel on the crab is problematic. This is due to the crab twisting due to all the loads that act on it when lifting. Due to it being open framed I can not stop this from happening. I am now experimenting with Marklin skates as these should stay in contact with the rail no matter what happens. 

These have been fitted  and can be seen below.

IMG_0181.JPG.7f71b03a3b329e8600e8ff32d0f359e4.JPG

IMG_0180a.JPG.e1d45e14102adad056749bae448190e1.JPG

Eclectically these do work but at the moment I have to put some weight on to make it move. The skate spring does not lift the wheels off the track but they might be unloading them a little bit.  

I am going to put the new drum in next as this will help and then try and work out how much more weight I need to add.

I need to get this sorted as I want two working cranes for Narrow Gauge North in a few weeks time. 

Andy 

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

So good progress today on rebuilding the crab - the new drum is fitted. 

I thought I was missing a replacement sprocket for the one I had cut out stripping it down. I even ordered some replacements. But an hour later I found a bag buried on my bench. this then prompted a  tidy up of the bench. 

I also put the new block together. The machined centre was turned up and milled for me by Pete Kirmond. To get as much weight on to the rope as we can these are made from Copper Tungsten. Pete uses this for his 2mm fine scale loco chassis.  The hook is laminated from etches and filed to shape. 

IMG_0211.jpg.c868f0808dbd7bdf3a6e081586338933.jpg 

All that is left to do is to add some weight as mentioned in the previous posts. 

the drawing below shows were it is going to go and again Pete is going to sort me out with some copper tungsten. This should be more than enough. 

then there is just the roping up to do which is a lot easier now the drum is split.

image.png.3405f14a4b6d6e48306092bcf3fa7576.png

All being well I will get it all finished next weekend. 

• Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

So the weights Pete sorted for me turned up today. 

See video below of it now working. Only job left to do now is to rope it up which will be done at the weekend. 

Its not 100% reliable but it is very close and a lot better than it was before. 

I will update when the ropes are on. 

Andy 

• Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

So as planned I have, with a bit of help from my better half manged to rope up the drum and block. 

This is getting easier each time I do it. On saying that I still think i need to build the spare crab in case we are caught with an issues in the middle of a show.

IMG_0353.jpg.a3d35fbe3b2d00975ab03800483cd3d0.jpg

IMG_0350.jpg.33cdf2ad229547674d1975513a2221bf.jpg

IMG_0351.jpg.6837b7595dea27a94ec05aa8a6214e0d.jpg

To test it all properly I need to get some weight on the hook. So tomorrow I will get the test structure out and give it a proper test. 

Andy 

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

I have now got enough controllers for all the crane functions. 

Using a two modified Really Useful Boxes I now have a control box for each crane.

IMG_0393a.jpg.27c3eb2fc8ef51fb9bab409afb29d118.jpg

I know this looks expensive, but all but one of the these have come of eBay.  The idea of the box is to get rid of all the lose cables that comes with the controllers. 

The photo below shows this and you will see there is a Digital board that three controllers are plugged into and this leaves just one cable per crane going back to the main unit.  The white board is a bit of foam board stuck on the the top of the Digitrack board to protect the components on the printed circuit board. 

This makes driving the cranes much easier as you are not continuingly changing channels. 

IMG_0397a.jpg.920b5fbe61a5b76462212914a99aca1a.jpg

The controllers are held on with Velcro so when they are not in use or when going to shows the controllers come off and then go in the box for transportation. 

Again I have to say this was Jills idea - I was trying to find a way to fix the controllers onto a false top recessed into the box and not use the lids at all. As I was trying to work out how to do this she came up with just putting them on the lids. As the box is plastic, the cables do not appear to be getting trapped too tightly. I think I was trying to be too clever. 

I have also modified the track that holds the wheels in location for the wheeling. 

As you can just see in the picture below there are now some small pegs in the rail - these line up with holes drilled in the wheels and keep them more ridged and less likely to move while wheeling. IMG_0395a.jpg.d7a76e25e9dc790ce13ec6afef32accb.jpg

I have tried it today and it is far better than just r
elying on the original locators next to the rails.  This still needs a bit more development but it is getting better. 

Andy

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Just a reminder - If you want to see the cranes etc, I will be at Narrow Gauge North Next weekend. 

See poster below - if you do follow me on here please say hello, I would like to put faces to the names. 

• Like 4

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

So its bee a while since I posted anything and the loss off all the photos is very disappointing. I tried to up load a few, but it will take for ever so that is not going to happen. Let's hope they manage to restore them all. 

One of the the reasons there has been little physical advancement in the layout is that I have been learning how to use 3D Cad. I have tried in the past and not managed to get my head around it. I have this time got a lot further as you can see from the short video below.

This is a D & M Brake Cylinder for the Snowdon locos. There is a photo below of the real thing on the loco, just below the cab. 

1778375953_Screenshot2022-04-23at22_26_15.png.6de04887b5149b20280771ad947da7c3.png

I am going to continue with a few more items for this loco and arrange for a fellow club member to do some prints and see how they come out. 

Andy 

• Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Having got around the 3d cad there have been further developments. 

I have developed my skill to know include assemblies. This is the axle assembly for the Snowdon Loco. Obviously if I use this it will be at the side of the loco during build. However some of the bits will be printed separately and used around the real axles and etched pinions such as the frame which will have brass bearings fitted.

838447709_Screenshot2022-06-05at23_58_31.thumb.png.f42a8dffd1d920d0c6eadcdca3c791fa.png1818961852_Screenshot2022-07-06at21_43_43.png.ea3900410248c9d4cfd8e43c9a69da61.png

As well as drawing parts I have also started drawing the the baseboards for the layout.  The plan is to have these laser cut out once I find a suitable supplier. There are a lot of holes in the base board top which need to be accurate and I also need to make sure and stiffeners etc. do not  fowl fasteners or door mechanisms.  When this is finished it will have all the facias and lighting beams drawn on before we start. 

1142007694_Screenshot2022-07-06at21_56_43.thumb.png.db2c7e034752dc07fcabee9fd1c86892.png25727120_Screenshot2022-07-06at21_57_37.thumb.png.608ca2da366c518ba629473b94a3fc04.png

It will also produce a finished board drawing all ready to go. 

1614669643_Screenshot2022-07-06at21_58_24.thumb.png.b376df3b3b51b46d4401c302b96e436d.png

There is still a long way to go but we are getting there but there has been a further distraction. 

I have very recently purchased a Resin 3d printer. 

This prompted another step towards getting on with the layout. For months have been putting of sorting the garage which would mean letting the last bit of the tram layout go. Fortunately the last section, Headingley Depot has got a new home with a member of the Leeds Historical transport Society and it is hoped it will re appear at some point at exhibitions.  

PA280216.thumb.JPG.88dcf83e75aad3d5d26b610eed35a029.JPG         P2110020a.thumb.jpg.a8d2f093621af41092b0254de6ed388a.jpg

So two weekends ago It went into the back of the car and taken across Leeds.

More to follow.

• Like 8