Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Permanent exhibition sites - where are they and what news of them?

• RMweb Premium
On 04/01/2021 at 22:29, Mike Bellamy said:

There is a permanent model railway display at Wroxham in Norfolk

https://wroxhamminiatureworlds.co.uk/

It's Not in Wroxham, Broadland district, it's the other side of the river  in Hoveton , North Norfolk District..

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, jchinuk said:

When I hear "permanent exhibitions" one name comes to mind, Bernard Otto.  This link is to a previous thread on these forums.

I remember one of his layouts at Colchester Zoo many years ago.

jch

Bertram, not Bernard.

Edited by St Enodoc
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, TheQ said:

It's Not in Wroxham, Broadland district, it's the other side of the river  in Hoveton , North Norfolk District..

Apologies - I assumed that the owners of the attraction knew where it was as they called it Wroxham Miniature World and not Hoveton Miniature World - and of course I didn't check the actual address. I know you drive through the area twice a day - remind me which side of the river is 'Effin Clown Town' . . . . . . . . :jester:

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Mike Bellamy said:

Apologies - I assumed that the owners of the attraction knew where it was as they called it Wroxham Miniature World and not Hoveton Miniature World - and of course I didn't check the actual address. I know you drive through the area twice a day - remind me which side of the river is 'Effin Clown Town' . . . . . . . . :jester:

The North Side, Effin Clown Town is Hoveton, 'Cos all the effin Clown tourists wander around the A road trying to get killed. 

I'm afraid many make that mistake because the main shop in the town is Roys of Wroxham, who until they bought the garage a couple of years back Never had a branch in Wroxham, it's so called because of the railways..  Anything supposed to be delivered to the station from else where marked Hoveton went missing, anything  delivered to Wroxham didn't  to the Roys Name . So Roys who started in Coltishall added the Wroxham name.

The Hotel is Hoveton is also called the Wroxham Hotel.

Up the river from Wroxham / Hoveton is Colitshall / Horstead.

Just to  add fun Coltishall  is the other side of the Bridge from Horstead, but there Coltishall is better known because of RAF Coltishall so often businesses in Horstead use the Coltishall name.

But of course RAF Coltishall isn't at Coltishall.. it's at Scottow..

Going the opposite way down river to Potter Heigham, what most people call Potter Heigham, which is where the shops, bridges and boat yard are, it is actually called Potter Falgate or Furlgate. But many locals don't even know that one. Potter heigham is about a mile away where the old church is.. But at least they are the same side of the river.. Across the river is Bastwick, which some people use the Potter Heigham name for...

Does this qualify for NFN?.. Normal for Norfolk...

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, TheQ said:

The North Side, Effin Clown Town is Hoveton, 'Cos all the effin Clown tourists wander around the A road trying to get killed. 

Does this qualify for NFN?.. Normal for Norfolk...

Many thanks for the interesting, informative and 'Normal for Norfolk' geography lesson . . . . . . 

I must admit to having been one of those Effin Clown Tourists although now that SWMBO has retired, we are no longer restricted to school holidays and would like to visit the area again at a quieter time and I promise to keep on the pavement . . . .  - when permitted of course!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Reading this topic reminds me of the fantastic layout that used to be at Beaulieu many years ago, a giant layout covering different countries and with push buttons to control effects and interior lighting as the audience got cycled through day to night! 

I first got to visit in about the mid-90s, as a youngster it opened my eyes up that there was more than what you just saw in the Hornby catalogue! It definitely encouraged me to get further in on the hobby!

It’s all gone now - I was gutted when I visited in the early 2000s and the layout was replaced with a video arcade game area, I went again in 2010 and I recall it had changed again, but great times!

The mention of the Mevagissey Model Railway brought back memories too, I visited in August 2002 and it was great to see the china clay works modelled, the whole layout looked a little dusty and aged though, populated by RTR Lima locos that even then started to look dated, but a terrific idea none the less, hope it’s still going strong and has seen a bit of a refurb in recent years maybe!

Cheers,

James

• Like 3

On 06/01/2021 at 10:24, daltonparva said:

There was York Model Railway, which moved to a site on an old WW2 airfield in Lincolnshire which is an Antiques center and weekend market, (forget the name), but I did hear it went bust. No idea of the current situation.

That started out as rail riders’ world as a hub for the British rail club for children of the same name. Great fun.

• Agree 1

There was a large model railway and model shop at the trago mills outlet store in Newton Abbott. Model shop closed in 1990 but the layout was still there a little later. Not sure if still there now.

Also not far away was the Exmouth model railway on the esplanade. That was certainly still there around 2000. 

• RMweb Premium

Kyle of Lochalsh, there's a model railway in the operating room of the old signal box and another in the museum on the station platform..

The Kyle Line - Kyle Line Model Railways (kylerailway.co.uk)

18 hours ago, ianmacc said:

There was a large model railway and model shop at the trago mills outlet store in Newton Abbott. Model shop closed in 1990 but the layout was still there a little later. Not sure if still there now.

Also not far away was the Exmouth model railway on the esplanade. That was certainly still there around 2000. 

I remember the Exmouth model railway from many years ago. It was a bit sad and run-down by the end, but still had a certain charm to me. The council wanted to redevelop that area of the sea front so it closed. The owners I believe moved to Cornwall, possibly also taking their mk1 coach cafe.

IMG_9143.JPG.d384786ba0ffa5896f25ed4fdfb9950c.JPG

The Exmouth model railway in 2014. Which I think may have been the last season, or possibly penultimate one,

cheers 

cheers

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
On 13/01/2021 at 20:42, ianmacc said:

According to Facebook, there is still a model railway and shop there (closed at the moment obviously). It was certainly still there in the early 90's, as I bought a couple of Lima wagons from it while on holiday.

4 hours ago, Geep7 said:

According to Facebook, there is still a model railway and shop there (closed at the moment obviously). It was certainly still there in the early 90's, as I bought a couple of Lima wagons from it while on holiday.

There is also a fairly substantial 10 1/4” gauge line there, which I assume is still going and possibly related to this?

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, Geep7 said:

Interesting, although the update I found was 2018 that’s still heartening. 

The model shop must have restarted too as it was downgraded to just a souvenir type tat shop attached to the layout in the early 90s. 

• 6 months later...

The one at Beaulieu had a "twin" at Chessington, both now gone.

The one at Alton Towers was fun & I often wondered at how well it ran in the damp cript.

Wroxham suffers from lack of imagination.

AFAIJ the New Romnet one is still there but they won't spend any money on it.

There was an ex-Flesichmann factory layout at Snetterton, but I think that's now gone or closed.