GW/WR type Stop Board

• RMweb Gold

Typically located in reception roads where, having been signalled into a yard or depot by a calling on or shunting signal, you were required to stop and await handsignal or verbal instruction from the yard staff on the ground.  They were vertically orientated wooden boards or painted glass with stencil opaque lettering that were backlit by an oil lamp, black with white painted letters or opaque stencils, thus:-

S

T

O

P

I want one of these very characteristic stop boards, not neccessarily the backlit type, for Cwmdimbath.  The backlit version had a tapered lamp housing, the whole thing being painted black apart from the opaque glass stencil, with the lamp housed centrally at the back.

Does anyone know of a supplier of such a beast or a kit to build one?  If not, basic measurements and I can have a crack at scratchbuilding an unlit one.  Thanking the experts in advance...

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, The Johnster said:

Typically located in reception roads where, having been signalled into a yard or depot by a calling on or shunting signal, you were required to stop and await handsignal or verbal instruction from the yard staff on the ground.  They were vertically orientated wooden boards or painted glass with stencil opaque lettering that were backlit by an oil lamp, black with white painted letters or opaque stencils, thus:-

S

T

O

P

I want one of these very characteristic stop boards, not neccessarily the backlit type, for Cwmdimbath.  The backlit version had a tapered lamp housing, the whole thing being painted black apart from the opaque glass stencil, with the lamp housed centrally at the back.

Does anyone know of a supplier of such a beast or a kit to build one?  If not, basic measurements and I can have a crack at scratchbuilding an unlit one.  Thanking the experts in advance...

I'd guess.... that you can make the backlit portion by reverse printing the 'stop' or 'shunt' board in white paper, with the background printed in black, and the legend left. Dimensions  I can't remember, but there used to be one at Common Branch Junction, and Maesmawr Down main.  Isn't there an example at Didcot?

• RMweb Gold

Thank you gentlemen; I can probably make a tolerable attempt at scaling from that photo, maybe on the basis that the ladder rungs are 1 foot apart and taking the proportions from the lamp housing.  It gives good detail of the fitting to the post as  well; a cotton bud tube would probably do for that, and would hide the wires to the led if I were to attempt to actually illuminate it.  Brass  scrap can probably supply the housing and a front face a la Tomparryharry would finish it off.  The result would not be dead scale but 'close enough for jazz'.

RM Web to the rescue again!

• Like 1