7mm Axleboxes and Springs for scratchbuilding wagons?

Guest WM183

Hi all.

I would like to scratchbuild some LBSC, SECR, and LSWR wagons in 7mm scale. W irons are available luckily for most of them, and close enough in other cases, but springs and axleboxes seem to be in short supply since ABS went by the wayside. What does everyone do to get these bits? 

Amanda

Same concern for accurate axleboxes of late Victorian / early Edwardian GWR wagons....  for which one answer is 3D printing.

And yes, that reply brings a different question.... where to get information?.... for which the answer comes from:-

* official drawings held at the NRM;

* measurements of prototypes - generally at Didcot.

• Like 2

As said, 3D printed items would be ideal.

I recall seeing Iain Rice in one of his 4mm wagon books making axleboxes from lumps of plastic, strip and sheet.

For some of my 4mm scratchbuilds, I made springs from laminating plastic sheet:

P1010003-003.JPG.7a852a0adee4d34aa69345e618285da1.JPG

Slice through the stack to make the individual springs:

P1010001-007.JPG.b6fe8840ad176f5a10b207f5f997cad6.JPG

I bought parts from Parkside in the past.  There are Southern wagons in the range so perhaps Peco are willing to do the same.

John

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium

Cambrian axleboxes: a good question. I have very few photos. The only "evidence" I have is this:

image.png.bd6a8caaeeddc4e381a31d2ffd2240c0.png

A screen grab from Mike Lloyd's drawing of a Pickering built 4 plank wagon of 1902. None of the manufacturers' drawings  (Metropolitan or Cambrian) seem to bother with such things. Of course the staff building the wagon would not need to be told if they were at Oswestry, and probably otherwise the Cambrian supplied a drawing (now lost of course).

But even if this was the style in 1902 what about 1892?

Perhaps we should all switch to 2 mm when such questions would be unnecessary.

Jonathan

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

A couple of blow-ups from photos of the Cambrian 15 ton loco coal wagons, again fairly late.

image.png.8e263f33935fbe3b47e1fe69ed079f26.png

image.png.b4461196155115fd4d50df9879f948fc.png

And not particularly clear (HMRS photos ABY535 and ACP216. Again modern and not very clear, and I suspect that you already have them,

Jonathan

Edited by corneliuslundie
Add text
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

There are a number of spring and axleboxes for LBSCR wagons and carriages that I have drawn and 3D printed. Some have been shown on Poppywoodtech's website, some on my blog IanMacCormacModels

back in 2019 and I have drawn many more since. All available at reasonable prices.

LBSC parts.jpg

• Like 4
  • Round of applause 1

There are lots of different Cambrian axlebox lettering styles. The Pickering ones I've always wondered whether it really was a 9 above the date. They are RCH No.9 axleboxes after all... Some earlier ones have quite the essay on them, of which I can make out nothing. Oil ones had the Cambrian Railways circular, the date and OIL on there, though there were a couple of patterns of box. 

17 hours ago, corneliuslundie said:

The Cambrian drawing does look like the upper photo in my earlier post. That is a photo of Pickering built wagon 2450 of 1904, as opposed to your grease boxes - which should be very useful.

Jonathan

The box does yes, but the cover is totally different to either. Looks like it's been designed specially to be refilled without the step board getting in the way. 

• Thanks 1