RTR OO9 Locos and Rolling Stock: Compatibility (physically and prototypically)

steveNCB7754

1. They are very rare, so no "generally" they did not use diamond crossings though no doubt there would be a few around. Bear in mind that NG companies tended to be short of cash so kept everything as simple as possible.

2. Sector plates - there are quite a few NG ones on mainland Europe but I am not sure of any over here. If you are a member of NGRM you'll find a couple of threads on NG sector plates.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

One thing to be aware of when it comes to layout planning is that short wheelbase locomotives and crossings don’t always mix well.

To get from one side of a crossing to the other involves passing through two pairs of frogs - unlike traversing a point where there is just one single one.  If you are using Insulfrog or dead frog track pieces (eg: Peco N Gauge Setrack for 009), you could find the distance between the frogs is the same as the distance between the wheels of a small 0-4-0.  Given NG trains tend to run at slower speeds as well, this can lead to a locomotive becoming grounded and stopping.  Just a thought, Keith.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

On 18/07/2021 at 21:53, Hobby said:

1. They are very rare, so no "generally" they did not use diamond crossings though no doubt there would be a few around. Bear in mind that NG companies tended to be short of cash so kept everything as simple as possible.

2. Sector plates - there are quite a few NG ones on mainland Europe but I am not sure of any over here. If you are a member of NGRM you'll find a couple of threads on NG sector plates.

1. That’s what I was thinking and, as you say, keep it simple -  I can imagine such a crossing would be expensive and difficult to repair if it got abused.

2. Thanks for the information.

On 18/07/2021 at 23:00, BernardTPM said:

For a sector plate you could modify a Peco turntable, cutting off just past the pivot and utilising a segment of the well. Without the need to revolve 180 degrees it makes wiring a lot easier.

That’s a good idea and would look suitably ‘crude’ (no criticism), more in keeping with narrow gauge (rather than standard gauge) operations.

6 hours ago, Keith Addenbrooke said:

One thing to be aware of when it comes to layout planning is that short wheelbase locomotives and crossings don’t always mix well.

To get from one side of a crossing to the other involves passing through two pairs of frogs - unlike traversing a point where there is just one single one.  If you are using Insulfrog or dead frog track pieces (eg: Peco N Gauge Setrack for 009), you could find the distance between the frogs is the same as the distance between the wheels of a small 0-4-0.  Given NG trains tend to run at slower speeds as well, this can lead to a locomotive becoming grounded and stopping.  Just a thought, Keith.

Useful advice, I hadn’t considered that aspect, thanks.

• Thanks 1

I would be very surprised if there weren't some diamond crossings on the narrow gauge, particularly in confined places like quarries, factories or harbours. What I would not expect to find would be double or single slips.

Of course diamond crossings between different gauges weren't unknown - the most familiar example being Cae Pawb on the Welsh Highland.

So I think if the only way you can get your plan to fit is to use a diamond crossing, the railway would probably have done the same thing,.

Edited by RJS1977
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
On 18/07/2021 at 21:20, steveNCB7754 said:

a) Did any UK narrow gauge lines use such a Sector Plate? 

I don't think there were any on the narrow gauge in Great Britain, but there's nothing in principal that stops you having one on an imaginary line.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
On 18/07/2021 at 23:00, BernardTPM said:

For a sector plate you could modify a Peco turntable, cutting off just past the pivot and utilising a segment of the well. Without the need to revolve 180 degrees it makes wiring a lot easier.

There are a couple of rtr versions available, mostly German.

Faller and Noch certainly do them in H0, and I recall seeing TT, N and even Z ones on my searches which may be adaptable to local needs. 

Try a search for 'segment drehscheibe' 

• Informative/Useful 1