Railmatch 322 Early Freight Gey

This might seem a bit odd, but what finish should I expect from Railamtch 322  early freight grey? Both coats have come out somewhat glossy, I was expecting a matt finish. The pot is about 6/7 years old, but unopened till now, and has been thoroughly stirred. It does get cold in my unheated loft, so I just want to make sure my expectation isn't wrong before engaging cunning plans. 

Edited by Miserable

I think most of the Railmatch paints for the railfreight colours were of a satin finish , apart from the obvious that are marked as matt or gloss ! I have jars which are ancient and are still usable . I usually warm up any paint by putting the tin or jar on the radiator for a while and mix of thoroughly , over mixing does no harm ! If drying in a cold room , it  may affect the drying time and finish of the paint also . A coat of satin varnish may make it  look better , but varnishes do not like the cold and can dry to a white , ruining your model , so beware ... My advice a warm room or wait for the spring or summer !

Edited by bazjones1711

11 minutes ago, bazjones1711 said:

I think most of the Railmatch paints for the railfreight colours were of a satin finish , apart from the obvious that are marked as matt or gloss ! I have jars which are ancient and are still usable . I usually warm up any paint by putting the tin or jar on the radiator for a while and mix of thoroughly , over mixing does no harm ! If drying in a cold room , it  may affect the drying time and finish of the paint also . A coat of satin varnish may make it  look better , but varnishes do not like the cold and can dry to a white , ruining your model , so beware ... My advice a warm room or wait for the spring or summer !

Ok, thanks. I can carry on now I know what to expect! I'll look at varnish later, I'd like to experiment with my chalks first to see if a little weathering will take the shine off a bit. Every day's a school day :-)

• Like 1