Silhouette-cut Mk1 side overlays

CloggyDog

So the Portrait can cut an A4 sheet? That's a welcome surprise!

I don't have a machine yet, but maybe a Portrait 3 instead of the unobtainable Cameo might be sufficient.  I'm not going to be building Mk1 sides, but I'm still interested in your design as inspiration and encouragement for what I might do.

Edited by aardvark
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, aardvark said:

So the Portrait can cut an A4 sheet? That's a welcome surprise!

I don't have a machine yet, but maybe a Portrait 3 instead of the unobtainable Cameo might be sufficient.  I'm not going to be building Mk1 sides, but I'm still interested in your design as inspiration and encouragement for what I might do.

Yes, the Portrait will handle A4 no problem. The sticky mat it comes with is 8" wide and 12" long. The width is the limiting factor, but coach sides can always be aligned to make the best use of the cut space. I've even done an O gauge test side, given the length isn't limited by the cutting mat. I've also used it to cut long signage from a vinyl roll, I believe the max length is something like 10m!

Mine is an original Portrait (manual blade adjustment, USB connection only) but it's perfectly fine for cutting through 10 thou plasticard and will score 15, 20 and 30 thou. It does struggle with 40 thou (1mm) sheet though. 

With the swivelling blade it came with, I get reliable results down to about 0.7mm width (for window bars, etc).

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

Those window frames rescaled to fit Bachmann 4mm MK1s would be very handy Alan. I’ve tried the Southern Pride self adhesive ones with disastrous results and the Shawplan ones are a bit too finescale for me as they require a full reglase.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
43 minutes ago, Waveydavey said:

Those window frames rescaled to fit Bachmann 4mm MK1s would be very handy Alan. I’ve tried the Southern Pride self adhesive ones with disastrous results and the Shawplan ones are a bit too finescale for me as they require a full reglase.

I'll have a look later, should be easy enough to rescale. 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Alan,

A while ago I had a go at making a Mk1 brake composite using some laser-cut sides I drew up and had made by York Modelmaking. I had a lot of trouble getting the sides to hold themselves to the right shape (the constant curve of a Mk1 side) and even more trouble getting the very narrow strips above the windows to stay in a continuous straight line.

Possibly, a strip of small L section brass would help along the tops of the sides. I suppose, much depends on how much of the Lima carcass you keep - I seemed to cut so much of it away, there wasn't enough left to build on. If I was doing it again, I would think about cutting some full-width bulkheads to the correct profile, and discarding most all of the Lima body except the ends and roof.

If I was able to cut the sides myself, I would look into cutting an additional "inner" side, and building a sandwich with a gap inside to hold the glazing. If the first layer went onto the model with the correct curve, the subsequent layers ought to build up to make a robust model.

Hope this helps,

- Richard

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Richard, thanks for the input. 

I'd considered a further inner layer to create a glazing pocket like you suggest, but that would make the sides even thicker, one option might be to have 2 inners in 5 thou to keep the overlays the same thickness as current (2 x 10 thou), though there'd also be an issue as the top lights are cut into the middle layer, where the glazing would need to go. 

In terms of the Lima donors, I'm planning to file/sand/smooth off all the surface detail and sand back such that the door seams disappear, then cut away for the larger windows (and any new or moved ones) to retain as much of the Lima side structure as possible, then apply the overlays at the top first, allow to set, then along the bottom edge, clamped in place to hold the curve. 

I cut another batch of test sides today, assembling the RMB and BCK sets, with a CK, BSK and SK to do tomorrow. 

IMG_20210107_000426.jpg

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium

If you are really keen, you can drill a small hole through the middles of the buffer heads, cut off the heads and their shanks, and put the heads back in their retracted positions. A piece of styrene rod through the hole to hold the assembly together.

Somehow, seeing a retracted buffer where it ought to be extended looks better than the other way round.

- Richard.

• Informative/Useful 2

• 2 years later...
  • RMweb Premium

Yesterday, I cut down a rather warped Rivarossi LMS Third Corridor by 10ft and re-skinned it to make an H0 50ft full brake, using the same technique as the Mk1s. (Hornby OO one above in 1 pic, showing the difference between OO and H0) 

On the same cut file, as the components are broadly standard, I also did the sides for the Stove R and sides/ends for the 42ft CCT for future use. 

IMG_20231104_100913.jpg

IMG_20231104_221230.jpg

• Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1