Lapford34102's Workbench - Dapol Class 22 new wheels and pickups

Though it was about time I actually had a workbench thread rather than scattering things all over the place. So to begin a BR 20t Brakevan.

Having found a cheap one in the Hornby factory sale found that I'd managed to end up with one  with plated ends rather than planked veranda ends, a nice model but not appropriate for even the early 70's as far as I can ascertain.  Moral - check what's actually in the box! Had no real idea of what to do but wading through Adam's amazing wagon thread, see here if you've never looked,

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/37002-adams-em-workbench-trout-tickling-a-secr-ballast-hopper/

discovered he'd faced the same problem and then gone on to backdate it to a planked end. I wasn't sure I had the skill to what he had done in cutting hole in the veranda end and planking that so worked through my own solution. The photos are largely self explanatory and while it's hardly precision modelling if it passes the 3ft rule I'll be content. I used pre-scribed plastic sheet for the planking and while not exactly to the side planking spacing is very close but looking through Paul Bartlett's photos did note there seems to be some variation so while I doubt I'll end up with an eact replica it'll hopefully look the part.

Brake-0.jpg.58460a0257e47cefdabfefa863ccf1f6.jpgBrake-1.jpg.a21c99693b260e0ea1a1158aec610197.jpgBrake-2.jpg.a2305cbc3231dd8dfb0dfba2c7d4aaeb.jpgBrake-4.jpg.7252781b9a445837eb31129e194c655e.jpg

Cheers, any comments welcome and thanks for looking.

Stu

Edited by lapford34102
Update7
  • Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• lapford34102 changed the title to Lapford34102's Workbench - BR 20t Brakevan mod.
On 05/01/2021 at 07:05, Darius43 said:

It’s both satisfying and fun modifying wagons to improve their appearance.

Definitely, early lockdown work was replacing rtr chassis's with better and/or correct ones. Have yet to try doing an etched one so maybe I'll try one or two.

Contrived to get this finished so here's a couple of so-so pics. Was hoping for a new camera from Santa but if hebrought me one it must have gone over the wrong sidegate! Quite happy with the result though none of my pots matched Hornby's version of bauxite so ended up with having to mix something, not perfectbut close. Weathered the body with something I'd never tried before, weathering powders mixed with water and happy with the result. Overall think it'll pass the 3ft test.

Thanks for looking.

Stu

Brake-5.JPG.ceae1d5f3b9089cbd20e3e0ba1132025.JPG

Brake-6.JPG.951201ba262db206a483c5fb203b0835.JPG

• Like 14
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 2 weeks later...

Since March when the mood has teken me I've been going through the stock boxes and seeing what needed repairing, improving or simply binning. Found and ordered  Parkside chassis's for 4 old Mainline/early Bachmann wagons. A couple of 123/1 GW style Fruit vans though one's technically a Y8 as it has a "W" prefix,  a Diag 1/040 Shoc Hybar and a GW plank bodied shocvan though I can't seem to find any reference to this so it may be ficticious, perhaps someone can enlighten me.

Sp original chassis in the bin and made up the new ones. A certain amount of mucking around required to get bodies/chassis mated together but nothing I think would even bother even a beginner.  The vans kept their original floors with the screw fixing locations removed to get them flat, the open simply  needed the moulded on plastic screw mounts carved off the bottom. As the decoration was fine I kept that though one roof was repainted. Buffers on the shoc's from Lanarkshire Models Supplies and very helpful talking to the gent sourcing the right ones.

Fruit.JPG.f7e3915feb43c97b971c1cf607f71c51.JPG

Shock.JPG.a3a22025bfaeea6c13a25894266b9c2e.JPG

Also dug out and hopefully next up a quartet of embarrasingly badly weathered Chivers PW wagons that must be somewhat old.

Thanks for looking,

Stu

• Like 10
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• lapford34102 changed the title to Lapford34102's Workbench - New underframes for old
17 minutes ago, lapford34102 said:

Since March when the mood has teken me I've been going through the stock boxes and seeing what needed repairing, improving or simply binning. Found and ordered  Parkside chassis's for 4 old Mainline/early Bachmann wagons. A couple of 123/1 GW style Fruit vans though one's technically a Y8 as it has a "W" prefix,  a Diag 1/040 Shoc Hybar and a GW plank bodied shocvan though I can't seem to find any reference to this so it may be ficticious, perhaps someone can enlighten me.

Sp original chassis in the bin and made up the new ones. A certain amount of mucking around required to get bodies/chassis mated together but nothing I think would even bother even a beginner.  The vans kept their original floors with the screw fixing locations removed to get them flat, the open simply  needed the moulded on plastic screw mounts carved off the bottom. As the decoration was fine I kept that though one roof was repainted. Buffers on the shoc's from Lanarkshire Models Supplies and very helpful talking to the gent sourcing the right ones.

Fruit.JPG.f7e3915feb43c97b971c1cf607f71c51.JPG

Shock.JPG.a3a22025bfaeea6c13a25894266b9c2e.JPG

Also dug out and hopefully next up a quartet of embarrasingly badly weathered Chivers PW wagons that must be somewhat old.

Thanks for looking,

Stu

There were some all-planked Shoc-Vans, Stu; David Larkin's 'Pre-Nationalisation Freight Wagons', from the old Bradford-Barton series, has a photo of W139556, built in 1940, and photographed at Hoo Jct in 1970. They weren't common though. There doesn't seem to be a model of the all-ply ex-GWR type- perhaps a Red Panda one with Parkside underframe and scratch-built ends?

Looking at those Fruit vans reminds me of going to your home town on a Mystex in about 1970- there were a number of them in the sidings for the Quay line.

• Agree 1

Not a book I have - wonder if copies around - so thanks for that Brian. Have a soft spot for GW fruit as saw enough of them. On Adam EM's thread he mentions some Weymouth ones had footboards like the fruit D, never seen a pic though 

Cheers 

Stu

6 minutes ago, lapford34102 said:

Not a book I have - wonder if copies around - so thanks for that Brian. Have a soft spot for GW fruit as saw enough of them. On Adam EM's thread he mentions some Weymouth ones had footboards like the fruit D, never seen a pic though 

Cheers 

Stu

Not quite like a Fruit D. As ever, there's a Paul Bartlett image (or two): https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/paulbartlettsrailwaywagonphotographs/e5d113ae

https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/paulbartlettsrailwaywagonphotographs/e261ab53d

Adam

• Thanks 1

Brian, thanks for that. Only 40 then, wonder why the decided to a RTR one of such a small group?

Dug out the 4 PW wagons, Parkside Grampus and 3 Chivers, assorted Tunney/Ling. Chivers are excellent kits and a joy to put together. Got rid off all my duff weathering and repainted black and was looking at what decals I had. Knew there was a old Modelmaster Grampus sheet which was ok for the Grampus obviously and thought I could use that to cobble together the other three.

IMG_20210122_151251.jpg.d99b13a153e2d3d31d6179cce8550ee5.jpg

However this was a very old M/Master sheet when they went through a phase of reversing the printing with the carrier film on top of the image rather than the conventional image-on-carrier. Think the idea was you put the transfer on, let it dry throughly then could remove the carrier. When I tried to use them they simply all parted company in the water. Then realised the carrier was peeling away in places on the sheet. Just visible wrapped round the tweezers here.

IMG_20210122_151301.jpg.bc01aa84dad31f997958f7bdeb20db99.jpg

Might be able to peel it all off and revarnish. Otherwise get replacements. Separate sheets for all the wagons are available but as I've only one of each seems rather uneconomic to spend a quite a few quid when I'm only going to need one of each. Needs investigating so to one side for the moment.

Cheers

Stu

Edited by lapford34102
Rubbish spelling!

• lapford34102 changed the title to Lapford34102's Workbench - Transfer Trouble
25 minutes ago, lapford34102 said:

Brian, thanks for that. Only 40 then, wonder why the decided to a RTR one of such a small group?

Dug out the 4 PW wagons, Parkside Grampus and 3 Chivers, assorted Tunney/Ling. Chivers are excellent kits and a joy to put together. Got rid off all my duff weathering and repainted black and was looking at what decals I had. Knew there was a old Modelmaster Grampus sheet which was ok for the Grampus obviously and thought I could use that to cobble together the other three.

IMG_20210122_151251.jpg.d99b13a153e2d3d31d6179cce8550ee5.jpg

However this was a very old M/Master sheet when they went through a phase of reversing the printing with the carrier film on top of the image rather than the conventional image-on-carrier. Think the idea was you put the transfer on, let it dry throughly then could remove the carrier. When I tried to use them they simply all parted company in the water. Then realised the carrier was peeling away in places on the sheet. Just visible wrapped round the tweezers here.

IMG_20210122_151301.jpg.bc01aa84dad31f997958f7bdeb20db99.jpg

Might be able to peel it all off and revarnish. Otherwise get replacements. Separate sheets for all the wagons are available but as I've only one of each seems rather uneconomic to spend a quite a few quid when I'm only going to need one of each. Needs investigating so to one side for the moment.

Cheers

Stu

I'll buy some of your surplus, Stu.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

Whilst waiting for a couple of orders to get sorted got round to yet another project that's been sitting around. A bit of an impulse buy as I rather like them so picked up a Hornby Q1 secondhand at a local show some time ago Whilst it was largely complete with all the bits it had probably had a hard life. The plating was worn off on some of the driving wheels and the quartering was slightly off when checked. With a bit of tweaking it ran well and looks to be an accurate and well detailed model and it did make an appearance on Drewry but in time got rather sidelined. A couple of years ago I thought it might be useful to EM it for Sheepcroft and got hold og a Gibson conversion at Warley. Having converted a couple of 08's and an 03 figured it would also be a fairly straightforward inroduction to converting steam.

And so it proved to be though not without the odd glitch. There's no specific conversion guide for the Q1 on either the Gibson or EM Soc's websites but there are a few similar 0-6-0's that give a few pointers but it is fairly straighforward.

IMG_20210206_140646.jpg.7ab7c1a95016f4fd431f5ff7327230d5.jpg

As I don't have a jig quartering the wheelsets was aided by using a length of wire through the lightening holes in the BFB wheels and with the wheels slightly countersunk and axles chamfered squeezed gently in a vice to get them started having added the Hornby brass axle bushes and via a bit of guesswork some 1mm bushes to limit the sideplay.

Once gauged correctly realised the axles were slightly overlength for EM so a deal of careful filing called for, should have checked length beforehand but you live and learn!. The holes in the Hornby conrods are way oversized for the Gibson crankpins and I founnd I had no Gibson bushes left but did find a length of suitable brass tube. So six short lengths were razorsawed off, soldered in place and then filed down to size.

IMG_20210206_140625.jpg.3746c903685ed2c2fe158608e1242a22.jpg

IMG_20210206_161616.jpg.3c9ac8ff61ab37a88589e49f89f03107.jpg

Testing the chassis were remarkably well all things considered. Converting the tender was also straightforward though the Gibson wheels needed the slight boss they have filed right back so they don't foul the sideframes. Fortunately both loco and tender pickups require little or no tweaking, the loco ones being separate from the two keeper platesare easy to tweak out a bit. However the brake blocks on both loco and tender do need some serious chamfering back to avoid fouling so it was a case of chamfer and try but got there in the end.

Crankpins trimmed and motion painted and blended in and there we have it. I've got another conversion set for a Drummond 700 having again picked one up as an impulse buy, this time a the Hornby factory sale.

IMG_20210209_155239.jpg.1f95f604e3760d0072881147048d3383.jpg

IMG_20210209_155259.jpg.732e1fb69cc098359d76d01f79e061ef.jpg

IMG_20210209_155348.jpg.fb8c247080240f89cd07670a8be2abe3.jpg

Thanks for looking

Stu

• Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• lapford34102 changed the title to Lapford34102's Workbench - Hornby Q1 EM conversion
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi,

A couple of things. Firstly a 3 way in copperclad. During the last lockdown I did a single slip simply to see if I could and thought then that I’d have a go at a 3way.  The advantage of doing it like this is there is no pressure. If it all horribly wrong then no-one else would be the wiser. Use Templot for the template. Really excellent programme except I can’t seem to get my head around it. Can do points on their own but start to put a few into a plan!! It’s certainly me, not the programme and yes,  I have tried the tutorials. Perhaps I need to do it on two screens or perhaps at some future show there’ll be a demo somewhere.

1817111543_3way-1.jpg.2cfc0cd04e4c79ff2f7c0a1167cb2bdf.jpg

1436201660_3way-3.jpg.9f8d93d185004c5212dfff145d1e8565.jpg

One of Bachmann’s first run 08’s has been languishing in bits in an ice cream tub at the back of one of the storage boxes so dug it out, checked it was working and pondered what to do with it. I’ve got 3 Hornby ones in green and early blue thought I’d have a go at a weathered faded TOPS one. For what little it’s worth this is my take on doing faded Rail Blue.

Airbrush the shell using your preferred  Rail Blue as if you were doing an ex-works one, when done tip any unused back in the pot and put a small measure of a light neutral colour such white or pale grey in with whats left, add a measure of thinners to get it back to sprayable consistency. You should be looking a a very pale version of blue. Spray to taste but with an 08 there are plenty of panels which you can lighten carefully from the middle out. Here’s a couple of pics to give you an idea of the result.

1117228549_Faded08-1.jpg.36ac8e275e810baecb14dfd5644c2a77.jpg

104883923_Faded08-2.jpg.c289dfce7bcbda9c9198b253e5937c95.jpg

Decalling up and a bit more weathering next. I’ll pop a couple of pics up when this is done.

Thanks for lookinjg

Stu

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• lapford34102 changed the title to Lapford34102's Workbench - Copperclad 3-way + Fading a Blue 08
  • RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, lapford34102 said:

Use Templot for the template. Really excellent programme except I can’t seem to get my head around it. Can do points on their own but start to put a few into a plan!! It’s certainly me, not the programme and yes,  I have tried the tutorials. Perhaps I need to do it on two screens or perhaps at some future show there’ll be a demo somewhere.

Hi Stu,

There was a live demo tonight, but I've just finished, see:

https://85a.uk/templot/companion/live_screen.php

I will do another one soon. If you ask on Templot Club at https://85a.uk/templot/club when it will be and what you are stuck on, I will show you how.

cheers,

Martin.

• Thanks 1

Steve, the 3 way was scary but there's a good post I bookmarked that gave a few tips on what the best order to do things might be. Helped a lot.

The 08, now with a thinned wash of MiG dark wash to accentuate the panels etc plus a bit of exhaust staining with powders. The wash wasn't used straight out the bottle but thinned down a bit, that's waffle for try a bit and see how it goes, and applied with a OO brush. Like all weathering it's as much art as a science though methods are shamelessly nicked out of the aircraft/afv weathering playbook. There's now a bewildering range of weathering aids and book aimed at that market such as here https://www.migjimenez.com/en/8-weathering-products  and that's just one manufacturer.

368996283_Faded08-3.jpg.088742201f852493a9723a6593dfc817.jpg

1235264947_Faded08-4.jpg.72cf9b792688acb403a9f00a1533789a.jpg

Thanks for looking

Stu

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• lapford34102 changed the title to Lapford34102's Workbench - Fading a Blue 08

There are SO many weathering products now, and I do like looking at the military modelling stuff, though some of the resuls are really extreme for railways I think. 

There's a usefull set of magazines by MIG on dust, rust, fading etc that are worth checking out.

The 08 looks great, I like the fading, all very subtle. Grear stuff :)

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 19/01/2021 at 16:03, Fat Controller said:

There were some all-planked Shoc-Vans, Stu; David Larkin's 'Pre-Nationalisation Freight Wagons', from the old Bradford-Barton series, has a photo of W139556, built in 1940, and photographed at Hoo Jct in 1970. They weren't common though. There doesn't seem to be a model of the all-ply ex-GWR type- perhaps a Red Panda one with Parkside underframe and scratch-built ends?

Looking at those Fruit vans reminds me of going to your home town on a Mystex in about 1970- there were a number of them in the sidings for the Quay line.

Fat Controller Indeed there is. I used it to make a model using the Bachmann release with the same number. 

Cheers Trailrage

Screenshot_20210325-095730_Gallery.jpg.2149e93c09c7c8775f97701544387046.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Getting a bit introspectiveanyone looking at any of my posts probably realise my interests are all over the place. I’ll admit to three exhibition layouts that cover a few areas and and projects I write about are quite random to put it politely. I admire the many who doggedly pursue a single theme but I’m obviously not wired for that but it can make life interesting !  One thing I’m certain of is that modelling was an important part of my work/life balance when I was working and I’m damned certain it’s helped me in keeping both oars in the water over the last year and as a possible bonus dive into various aspects of modelling I might well never had time for.

My latest stuff wasn’t really planned. Earlier this year I had an idea for a few projects but sadly the covid effect on certain products rather scuppered that. No problem as I can hopefully come back to them so had a look round for something to do. Stuck away in a box in the garage was a Hornby “dutch” Tope bought sometime but no recollection. Also had some other  dutch era stuff laying around plus the aforesaid Bacchy 08 that was doing nothing. Have subsequently found a Hornby 08 stuck in he back of a workbench cupboard. I looked for it a couple of years ago and failing and convincing myself I’d got rid of it. Old age......!!  So with a few wagons and one (maybe 2 now)  loco what do you do? Go out and get more obviously. Well not so much go out as get disapproving looks for spending  to much time apparently on the internet and muttering darkly about availability, prices, do I have the transfers and what buffers to use.  All good to distract onefrom life’s vicissitudes.  So got some decals, a couple of wagon kits and bits and a loco. Now today for anything under a £100 seems to get you  little more than a nice small tank engine with the wheel arrangement of a recycling bin but I did eventually find an eminently suitable Dutch 33/2 for a similar price.

As this had the original sideframes they’ve been modified   plus some etched arrows and crew added but otherwise OOB. I have though had a go at the translucent glassfibreroof. Not really a coincidence that Pete Johnson has had a go over on EMGauge70’s but I have tried before as seen on Sheepcrofts blue 33. I discovered I had a plan of the loco showing the pattern to guide me masking up. Had a few attempts with different colours as no two pictures looked the same varying with the shot angle, lighting conditions plus they seemed to have aged over time. Finally settled on a grey/green base colour darkened down for the translucent panels. Not totally convincing but I’ll live with it for the moment though a different approach did occur to me after to might try a test with that.

Modifying the sideframes, pretty self explanatory.

IMG_20210311_141102.jpg.a5170485c92d4995d6ba7b6a5bfc708a.jpg

IMG_20210311_141408.jpg.f7a40369f33356ffe3ef51605de53f55.jpg

IMG_20210311_142556.jpg.2cb708c03ab64651b3b212812a855a96.jpg

A view of a 33's roof - Photo ©Paul Wade

129509077_L-293TWY11-4-9133202.jpg.fdd6b19870552758e3f0646b4c65e4f0.jpg

My attempts

IMG_20210316_192115.jpg.7ad551abc7af5d2a5fdd625c76ff88f9.jpg

IMG_20210320_183424.jpg.18391b8d7f66d8af536ef2a78844bb5d.jpg

You can debate amongst yourselves whether I've succeded or not :-) I wanted the loco to be not quite ex-works so have done some light weathering to tone down the OOB look, I'll put some pictures up later.

The two wagons were a Cambrian OBA and OCA. Bachmann do a decent OBA but the OCA is rather let down by it’s Panzer IV armourthickness sides. The kits were built largely as intended though the W irons  were split into 3 parts then reassembled a plasticard strip to reinforcethe join. Removed the coupling and centreing arms and fixed them in place with the help of some chassis/W iron spacers to make sure they’re correctly lined up. If you’re  doing EM you’ll need to carve a bit out the top toget free running. If I do more like to try some etched W irons such as the Stenson models ones. Replacement buffers improve things as does some small  fettling to the underframe. All primed up and waiting for a paint job.

IMG_20210402_111223.jpg.c174d0dc92f146a4931cbef31f6ca1a6.jpg

I've enjoyed doing all this as some bits are new to me so it'll keep the interest going. SWMBO and I recently visited the garden centre. As went in I dutifully picked up a basket only to be told we'd need a trolley so off I trotted to get a supermarket sized one. This got the reply "we'll need a bigger one"......... I'm sure my credit card company will soon be offering me a substantial upgrade! Well if it's good enough for her it's good enough for me so got one of the two remaining Dapol Dutch 73's they had on offer :-)

Thanks for wading through this.

Stu

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• lapford34102 changed the title to Lapford34102's Workbench - Going a bit Dutch

Always good to see your projects Stu. I too have some "dutch" stuff including a Bachmann class 37, although it's a bit out of the era I remember I really like the look of it. 

Does this mean we'll see a new layout to run it on? ;)

They woud look good running on Portwey though! 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, sb67 said:

Does this mean we'll see a new layout to run it on?

Possibly, Drove to visit the MiLaw for the first time in months end of last week. Had a few jobs to do at her place so before we went was sent to local DiY store for new doorbell, lightbulb, etc etc. Came home with some timber as well :-)

Gone EM with this stock, partly as I might get away with it on Sheepcroft and partly because of the pointwork I'd built so something new? Quite possibly!

Cheers

Stu

• lapford34102 changed the title to Lapford34102's Workbench - Going a bit Dutch + 33 roof
  • 2 months later...

In my typically erratic fashion gone of at a bit of a tangent as browsing the Wizard Models site for something and found the old Mainly Trains  Airfix/Dapol/Hornby 14XX improvement bits were back in stock. It's a loco I always wanted to have on Drewry but was always somewhat lukewarm about the Airfix version though do have the Hornby version and was disappointed with the DJM/Hattons effort. So having a gash body on hand got the kit and decided to get on with it.

Did a bit of searching around to see how others had handled it and eventually found this which helped and actually inspired me to go a bit further. https://www.scalefour.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=6987&sid=2f824c3d6c994fd6ed6fe44bc2c31276

Now I'd quite like do a High Level Chassis but as they're on Furlough that side may have to wait though I do have a Comet chassis that I bought when I got the spare body. I'm going to do 1453, have the plates, so inspired by Mr Willis's efforts have been hacking the body around. Orginally didn't intend to remove the top feed or move the tool boxes but as 53 is top feed free and has offset tool boxes decided to go for it. This is progress so far.

1732009683_14xx-1.jpg.a108afc97d7ea3114d6ce2b67c58b679.jpg

1038084290_14xx-3.jpg.c7158e25f4f64a8f3c35e0877baa90ce.jpg

Will update as and when as we're due to have the grandkids to stay...... 'nuff said!

Stu

• Like 6

• lapford34102 changed the title to Lapford34102's Workbench - Hornby 14XX hack
  • 2 weeks later...

Earlier this week the weather wasn't exactly good so the weeds got a reprieve andtrip to see the Sand Martins postponed so I got a bit more time at the workbench. The pictures pretty much explain themselves. Have attched all the boiler bits plus some homemade lamp irons and fire iron hooks. One thing that came up was epoxy adhesives. Sometime last year ran out of my two tubes mix it yourself stuff and had to replace it with the double syringe setup. Anyone else find these difficult to use? In the end separated the handle to become two and mixed in the oild fashioned way, one part at a time. The chassis is coming together but with the wheels simply plonked in to see how it's looking. Ended up using some recycled Romfords, not strictly correct as the crank is in the wrong place I'll live with that.

Looks a bit of a mess

20210629_105304.jpg.078baac92776fc8ee3b8a6765549310e.jpg

20210629_105323.jpg.37ade4a3770fbb68cc72c0dcf53e2d7a.jpg

After a coat of paint

1853400302_14xx-4.jpg.2d32b7f57234992bfddbd830f4c3a694.jpg

1896983985_14xx-5.jpg.9876ec88c2b55ad507058d9720b68fcd.jpg

Thanks for looking

Stu

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1