YORK for York Show 2023 and beyond

kirmies

Thanks for the positive feedback, likes etc.

Yes, John (of the Aldrick) variety is already being encouraged (temporarily) away from the chocolate & cream straight and  narrow but then the fiddle yard I’ve built is for both this and Ivybridge so I’m owed a favour or two there. Also, one of the advantages of York is that trains from all 4 grouping companies were seen there so some of his GW stock will be welcomed. 

Tim, it had already occurred to me that This is York and CF would make a good ‘double act’ somewhere sometime. Depending on how stock building goes this year I may need to enter into discussions about whether the ‘CF stock library’ does short term loans!

More soon.......

• Like 1

22 hours ago, kirmies said:

The view is the one you get when standing on the platform by the entrance to the station. The roof will be 'peeled open' (as seen in the photo) to allow this view. The open air parts of the platforms will be visible through the ends of the roof which will be modelled uncompressed.

Fascinating! 

By "unpeeled", am I right in interpreting your photo as meaning two of the arch spans have been combined through the central part, but left "as nature intended" at the ends (pillars visible)? To my eye, the transition from two spans with pillar to single wide span gives it a very contemporary look - like some kind of architectural project by Zaha Hadid !

Or will the central row of columns be represented/suggested in some other way?

• RMweb Gold

........ about as far removed from a GW branch terminus in West Cornwall as you can get! A fabulous project Pete. I'm looking forward to seeing it almost as much as getting back to York itself - sans Brigantes:-(

I have a Midland rake .......... :-)

Jerry

• Friendly/supportive 1

Justin 1985 - you are exactly right in your description and it prompts me to describe it in a bit more detail as it's clear to me what I'm aiming for but it might not be so clear to others.

Here are a couple more pictures of the mock up:

451761045_mockup3lores.jpg.abbd78c5324f6ad620cb9195b880d3f7.jpg715696407_Yorkmockup2lores.jpg.f6dd8d04f26948e1b4b8341fe93b7ef3.jpg

As you say, the roof is as in real life at either end and peeling up in between to enable a view in (the pillars are only 15ft tall so a viewing window through those would be a little too narrow in 2mm). The taper down from the open middle to the ends is not quite right on the mock up (and this is about the 3rd attempt) but, once I've nailed it, it should be immediately apparent to the viewer what's going on.

I've only built about 1/3rd of the roof beams for the mock up - enough to satisfy me that the idea works. These were cut from plastikard with a craft cutter but for the actual model will be etched - much stronger and better detailed.

The similarity with modern architecture isn't something I'd thought of but I'll take a comparison with of Zaha Hadid's work any day!

Here's a plan of what's being modelled laid over a plan of the real roof:

1552106040_Stationplan.jpg.c18f26f62650dfbee12f55973a039939.jpg

The 'viewing window' is the length of the overall roof and the 'open air' parts of the platforms either side will be seen only through the arched ends of the roof. Baseboards will be high (as on Laramie) - about 54" so you'll be looking in rather than down (I'll carry a periscope - as I do with Laramie - for anyone who finds this difficult height wise).

The footbridge and signal box will definitely be modelled and the hotel and foyer area definitely won't. I'm tending to think I won't model the parts of the entrance building on either side of the footbridge as they would block the view. Likewise the columns between the outer 2 arches won't be there though I may end up representing both of these in outline on the platform surface - not sure yet.

Edited by kirmies
re-adding photos
  • Like 16
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 2 weeks later...

Two of a batch of 17 Gresley coaches I've just finished - Brake 3rd D114 & Composite D137 - built using Chris Higgs' Masterpiece Models replacement sides. This process has taught me 2 things:

• Building coaches using replacement sides is definitely quicker than building complete coaches
  • Whilst batch building saves time, a batch of 17 is FAR too big - at virtually every stage I reached a point (around coach 6 or 7) when the will to continue started to fade!

IMG_7671.jpg.2c18e1f38433d5610fbd3fdaf820d7dd.jpg

Edited by kirmies
Re-adding photos
  • Like 14
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

The big (and blindingly obvious) advantage of batch building is of course.......you end up with a whole batch of stuff built.

You also get a great feeling of achievement when they’re finished!

I reckon a maximum batch size of around 6 is more manageable (and better for the sanity!).

And, in case anyone was wondering, these were etched replacement sides on Dapol Gresley coaches. 

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
On 27/01/2021 at 14:32, kirmies said:

The big (and blindingly obvious) advantage of batch building is of course.......you end up with a whole batch of stuff built.

You also get a great feeling of achievement when they’re finished!

I reckon a maximum batch size of around 6 is more manageable (and better for the sanity!).

And, in case anyone was wondering, these were etched replacement sides on Dapol Gresley coaches. 

Youre absolutely right Pete. I recently did thirty odd North Somerset PO wagons. I kept telling myself it might be lots of wagons but it's still only one train!

cheers Jerry

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Your mock-up gives the impression of perspective as seen through an ultra-wide camera lens. I can imagine that there will be a certain viewpoint where you will have the feeling of actually being inside the the train shed.

Happy modelling.

David

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Looks good. 
I was struggling to work out what some of the shapes were for but I think I have worked most of it out. 

looking forward to seeing it assembled.

I am also waiting for etches for bits for the engine works. Hopefully they will arrive next week. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Trams and Locos said:

Looks good. 
I was struggling to work out what some of the shapes were for but I think I have worked most of it out. 

looking forward to seeing it assembled.

I am also waiting for etches for bits for the engine works. Hopefully they will arrive next week. 

Just worked out who this is. Hello dear boy, look forward to catching up when we are allowed out to play again,

Jerry

• Friendly/supportive 1

On 11/02/2021 at 16:36, kirmies said:

Quite an exciting day for 'THIS IS YORK' - the first test etches for the roof beams have arrived:

596809941_Rooftestetch1.jpg.21596aff3643cb52bcd9e8bd34cbfabe.jpg

I love getting a new sheet of etches - having spent hours drawing it up, sent it off, and then waited,  suddenly, and slightly magically, there it all is crisp, shiny and jewel like. 

Usually, with me at least, there are some errors and today's sheet is no exception. So far, I haven't spotted any serious ones and, anyway, I was expecting to have to do a couple of test etches to get these beams right - they are quite complicated and, as can be seen, not the easiest to fit onto a rectangular sheet.

The aim with this first test was to establish proof of method and correct any errors. Then, in theory at least, a second test etch before sending a bulk order for the whole of the rest of the roof.

Photos of test build to follow!

I'm I alone in my view that shiny etched in brass or nickel that when done right have a fascination all on there own in the 2d true works of art...is it the modelers fascination/ asperation of models to be made why etched are almost a collectable!

Oh just me them....I'm off to look in my etch brass draw !

Corrr lovely etch!

• Agree 2