YORK for York Show 2023 and beyond

kirmies

21 minutes ago, bradfordbuffer said:

I'm I alone in my view that shiny etched in brass or nickel that when done right have a fascination all on there own in the 2d true works of art...is it the modelers fascination/ asperation of models to be made why etched are almost a collectable!

When I got my first sheet of etches back I was almost tempted to frame it and hang it on the wall!

Jim

• Like 3
  • Agree 3

12 hours ago, Caley Jim said:

When I got my first sheet of etches back I was almost tempted to frame it and hang it on the wall!

Jim

Cutting up a shiny new etch sheet into the component parts is still one of the least-favourite parts of the process for me.

Andy

Edited by 2mm Andy
grammar
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

What a fantastic project!  Those people are surprisingly convincing. Lovely work on the sides as well. It's a shame Dapol marred an otherwise good model with those incorrect bogie centres.

Regards

Simon

8 hours ago, kirmies said:

Coaches really need passengers: even in 2mm their absence is obvious and their presence definitely adds something. With over 100 coaches to build for this project, populating them could be a daunting task - even if there's only a figure at most window well over a thousand figures will be needed!

Enter the recent Model Railway Journal article by Alan Webber on building a Gresley quadart populated with 2D paper people printed on his home printer. I got in touch with Keith and he as very kindly shared his artwork with me. Here's the first 'occupied' coach:855740235_2Dpeopletestcoach.jpg.8200b5f15a26a52cf659809493571dd4.jpg

There are 2 people per compartment so 16 in total. Cutting out and glueing them in took about an hour with VERY favourable results. I can't see myself painting 16 people in an hour so a huge amount of time will be saved and a considerable cost saving - well over 200 figures will fit on a single sheet of A4.

So....thank you Alan. I gather he is hoping to make his artwork commercially available via download soon.

Well that looks so well, next you will be saying another famous 2d driver will be at the head of the train!....'Jones the steam' come along ivor!

The populated coaches look brill

Looking forward to more content

On 20/02/2021 at 23:15, kirmies said:

Enter the recent Model Railway Journal article by Alan Webber on building a Gresley quadart populated with 2D paper people printed on his home printer. I got in touch with Keith and he as very kindly shared his artwork with me. Here's the first 'occupied' coach:

There are 2 people per compartment so 16 in total. Cutting out and glueing them in took about an hour with VERY favourable results. I can't see myself painting 16 people in an hour so a huge amount of time will be saved and a considerable cost saving - well over 200 figures will fit on a single sheet of A4.

So....thank you Alan. I gather he is hoping to make his artwork commercially available via download soon.

Looks very good from side on.   Can you show us a view from an oblique angle like 45 degrees to the coach?

• RMweb Gold

The passengers look really effective Pete. I bought a bag of several hundred seated figures very cheap from China which are crude but fine inside a coach but they do need a lick of paint -  the fashion for pink, lime green and luminous yellow was far less prevalent in 1920s Britain!

Jerry

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

The passengers look very good.  I missed reading about them in the MRJ article.  As you say it is a quick method.  I have painted passengers in the past and found it slow and fiddly for something which cannot be seen properly.  Since my coach interiors are representations (structural partitions  and basic seating forms painted the approximate colours) detailed painting of people is not needed.

I presume the idea will work equally well in 4mm.  I have a 3 coach EMU needing passengers so I will try the idea.

Lofty

• Like 1

932711866_2Dpeopletestcoach45degree.jpg.259147776c0edf3c9c2378dfb6fe11ae.jpg

In response to 2mmkiwi - here's a 45 degree shot of the same coach. It's perhaps slightly more apparent that the passengers are two dimensional but still, I reckon, far from obvious. Alan Webber (whose artwork I've used) recommends touching in the white paper edges with a pale grey felt tip - he reckons this works better than trying to match the printed colour. I now have one of these so will make this improvement when further coaches are populated.

Lofty - the article was about some 4mm coaches so they'll definitely work in that scale. I suspect any larger than that  (e.g. 7mm) and their paper thin nature will start to become a bit obvious.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, kirtleypete said:

Peter is happy for me to post some pictures of the signal box and footbridge I am building for him. 

The laser cut parts arrived from York Modelmaking (very appropriate!) yesterday. As an 0 gauge modeller I was a bit taken aback by the small bag of bits! 

SC1.jpg.83961393177928f033ed982ca15e830a.jpg

SC2.jpg.df11cdab5bdb6fa57b3f4891b41ca183.jpg

I would not have wanted to make the window frames from scratch, one bar at a time!  The walls of the box are 2mm clear Polystyrene as although it's small it does need some strength. 

SC3.jpg.2c1e79b7b8c8b8f4186db58852b0b410.jpg

Although the windows are plastic (0.5mm thick) they won't take styrene solvent so I used Evostick, very carefully!

SC4.jpg.926dbd099cc563e0416f8460e783b275.jpg

Peter might want to detail the interior so the roof is being made removeable. 

SC5.jpg.fc61d161577dd55410ed7ac7c8dbd07a.jpg

The WH Smith's bookstall was built onto the signal box which was still in use in 1938, the period Peter has settled on. 

SC6.jpg.c4c2bfda887312b1afac56a2056e3978.jpg

SC7.jpg.2712be9a3ac293026cbf5b26de6e185b.jpg

SC8.jpg.d51b38bb1b4ce820f74f571dcea4d261.jpg

SC9.jpg.75d1d869ecb391dfd042123c316c4696.jpg

The whole model is 95mm long, and I thought building it in 4mm scale a couple of months ago was small!

Peter

Cracking model.....in 2mm too very intricate..lovely

Dont know why but seeing model makes me fancy a coffee an a slice of over priced cake!!

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, ivybridge said:

To show a little more activity for This is York.  You can't have York in the late 30's without the Silver Jubilee - so i have been building it. Worsley Works nickel silver etches, and 2mm scale Association LNER bogies. Waiting for its test outing around Ivybridge.

20210212_121532.jpg.361106c8385d8aee63c352f057535f99.jpg

The twin firsts

831271287_SilverJubilee1sttwins214-01-2021.jpg.5ff71a4cc7f697ab9a22b67f9dc3e509.jpg

and the triplet restaurant, along with the twin firsts. The triplet thirds  are behind.

1485372186_TripletrestaurantandFirsttwin27-01-2021.jpg.2959ec659ea1af24a200dafb03420366.jpg

No problem in providing the GWR trains that ran through York, but a number of LMS coaches are on the workbench

John

Hi John

I would be interested in a blow by blow account.  I have a set of the etches but intend building them as they were in the 50’s.  May I pm you so we don’t clog up Kirmies’ thread?

John

The footbridge and signal box are about ready for painting. 

yk1.jpg.8e7e33d28fbe4352d4341b5eed1256f9.jpg

The handrails had to built up one piece at a time....the real thing had four rails but as I value my sanity the model only has three! 'm sure when it's all painted brown it won't be obvious. 

yk2.jpg.ae5a0419a3138693e75e05154ceb58ca.jpg

This is the finished bridge, all of 235mm long.

yk3.jpg.2d606af498ead431b6d66d8f7eaf9124.jpg

yk4.jpg.0223fc17f2218bb05bd08b642c7c67b8.jpg

yk5.jpg.1e1eea1e96905658701829782b29c48f.jpg

Now that I'm looking at the pictures I can see where I've missed off some uprights on the handrails, which will be added before I paint it.

Peter

• Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 7

• RMweb Gold

Pete 

Although the rear arch wont be visible will it not need to have something there to represent them and more importantly the roof lights so that when you light it the shadows etc. will not look out of place. 

Just a thought!

Andy  

The only bit that won’t be there is the width of the roof lights. Separating these two parts makes fitting the roof into the baseboard a whole lot easier and saves a considerable amount of etch area for no visible difference from the front. 

• Like 2

The step risers did indeed have adverts on them in the 30s - an O. S. Nock photo I have (which was used in a September 1934 Railway Magazine article) shows them. The print isn't quite clear enough to be able to read what they're advertising so we've gone for the ones known to have been there in the 50s.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

On 28/02/2021 at 11:13, kirtleypete said:

Some pictures of the finished model, apart from a bit of tidying up of the paintwork in places.

You can actually read the adverts!  The width of the steps is 24mm.

Some strings from the glue need removing. 

802878620_2mm4.jpg.a247173194e9b5bed927563c14734dbc.jpg

I decided against making the clock work! 

Peter

All very nice. Occasionally threatened with replacement with escalators but the companies running the station change so frequently it is never done - Non Yorkies tend not to realise there are lifts and underpassages available so instead struggle up these stairs, not least when there is a platform alteration. 

I hadn't realised before, that when entering the modern Smiths the back of the store is in the signal box locking room. I'll have to look more carefully next time I'm down there. 

Paul

• Informative/Useful 1

21 hours ago, hmrspaul said:

All very nice. Occasionally threatened with replacement with escalators but the companies running the station change so frequently it is never done - Non Yorkies tend not to realise there are lifts and underpassages available so instead struggle up these stairs, not least when there is a platform alteration. 

I hadn't realised before, that when entering the modern Smiths the back of the store is in the signal box locking room. I'll have to look more carefully next time I'm down there. 

Paul

Shhhh dont tell every one about them there a secret...once stood on 9 for a xc Edinburgh train...last minute platform change to 11 every one (platform full)headed for stairs up.. I headed for lift down on No 9 ( behind Costa cabin) for north subway ...along under passage I could hear the arrival of voyager only to find lift to 10/11 out of use! And subway has no stairs access!! Back to No9 lift up stairs to over bridge and back on to 11....then again no rush as train wouldn't leave with out me.....I was driver for it!!

Edited by bradfordbuffer
  • Like 2
  • Funny 11

• 2 weeks later...

More coaching variety for 'This is York': this time, Pullmans.

When planning the layout I was disappointed to find that for most of the inter-war years the ECML Pullman trains (Queen of Scots, Yorkshire Pullman) were routed via Leeds rather than York. But then I discovered that, in the late 30s,  the Harrogate portion of the latter went via York and joined up with the other bits at Doncaster.

But how to model Pullman coaches well in 2mm/N-gauge? Light bulb moment (thanks to John Aldrick) - the all steel Brighton Belle coaches were to the same basic design as the ECML ones and Hornby/Arnold produce a VERY good BB model.

Addition of more underframe detail - the 3rd rail BB didn't need battery boxes, dynamos etc. - results in something that, I think, really looks the part:

IMG_7705.JPG.703ba6cccc4d9f151262071d93ba5cb0.JPG

Although the Arnold models are far from cheap they are superb quality. The only snag is the Brighton Belle had driving and trailing cars rather than brake vans. Eventually I realised that a bit of good, old fashioned butchery was needed: the driving and trailing cars were the same basic design as the brake vans but with a cab end.

IMG_1478.JPG.c4e748b68e36a7368a97609ecfeaed0a.JPG

Carefully sawing off the cab of the trailing car and the end of a 'sacrificial' coach, some gentle filing and gluing and the result is pretty good. This may seem brutal (and expensive) but only one brake van is needed for the 5 car Harrogate - Doncaster set and the powered driving car was sold on to offset the cost. Also, how else was I going to get a brake van that didn't stick out like a sore thumb compared to the other coaches?

IMG_7707.JPG.ee84c70dd9cb23d44e3710740aa7b318.JPG

This set may not be entirely 100% accurate - for example both 3rd class coaches are saloons with no kitchen so 3rd class passengers would have a long wait for lunch.

At some point I'll get some custom decals done to correct the 1st class car names (and the duplicate 3rd class car numbers!) but, overall, I reckon this is a pretty presentable Pullman train.

IMG_7708.JPG.fb33377c86a9adda2fa282d328e90816.JPGAll I need now is a D20 to pull them.........

IMG_7706.JPG.6cd3e565d96203c7655b22883da65a31.JPG

Edited by kirmies
Re-adding photos
  • Like 15
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3