YORK for York Show 2023 and beyond

kirmies

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, kirmies said:

This weekend has been a key moment in the gestation of 'This is York' - putting together the baseboard and the etched roof sections with two key questions:

• Will they fit?
  • Will it look as I imagined/hoped it would?

Given that this is the culmination of work that has taken up most of my modelling time  this year the prospect of doing this was quite exciting and decidedly tense at one and the same time.

So......how did it go?

Day 1: fit the 9 sections of roof previously mounted on the test section of baseboard:

1734065565_RoofbuildRMweb1.jpg.fa092a8872d58b86d0a93a6b801e04ce.jpg

On the whole pretty good - one or two minor adjustments needed but nothing too serious or catastrophic.

Days 2 & 3: gradually adding on 15 more roof sections (each one consisting of three cross beams - all that soldering!).

This can best be summarised in a kind of time lapse video:

I am well chuffed! Here's what the final position at the end of the 3 day event looks like:

1355496714_RoofbuildRMweb2.jpg.07293cc9cc0cc9090acd753f25cfbe57.jpg

This leaves the 4 column section of taper at this end to build and then the back wall (oh, and everything else that remains to be done!). 

Magnificent,

Jerry

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• AY Mod changed the title to THIS IS YORK for York Show 2023

THIS IS YORK for York Show 2022 2023

Confucious when he wrote 'May you live in interesting times' had clearly not lived through a pandemic!

So many things haven't happened as planned since March 2020 and, I'm afraid, 'THIS IS YORK for York Show 2022' now has to be added to this long list. As of today, it has become THIS IS YORK for York Show 2022 2023

It was always an optimistic (some said foolish) plan to attempt to build a layout of this size and complexity to an exhibitable state in around 16 months. And so it has proved.

As is always the case, everything has taken longer than expected but also, as a result of Covid as much as anything else, considerably less time has been available to spend on the layout than was anticpated and this has led over the past couple of months to the inevitable conclusion that there simply wasn't going to be time to get done everything that needed doing before Easter 2022.

A quick chat with Ken Gibbons (the late Mal Scrimshaw's successor as York Show manager) a few weeks ago rearranged 'This is York''s exhibiton debut from Easter 2022 to Easter 2023 and, now the decision is made, it is a considerable relief.

On reflection, I'd far rather do it well than do it quickly and progress will continue to be reported here as and when there's something worth reporting.

Wishing everyone the very best for 2022.

A photo update will follow in the next few days......

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 14

3 hours ago, kirmies said:

THIS IS YORK for York Show 2022 2023

Confucious when he wrote 'May you live in interesting times' had clearly not lived through a pandemic!

So many things haven't happened as planned since March 2020 and, I'm afraid, 'THIS IS YORK for York Show 2022' now has to be added to this long list. As of today, it has become THIS IS YORK for York Show 2022 2023

It was always an optimistic (some said foolish) plan to attempt to build a layout of this size and complexity to an exhibitable state in around 16 months. And so it has proved.

As is always the case, everything has taken longer than expected but also, as a result of Covid as much as anything else, considerably less time has been available to spend on the layout than was anticpated and this has led over the past couple of months to the inevitable conclusion that there simply wasn't going to be time to get done everything that needed doing before Easter 2022.

A quick chat with Ken Gibbons (the late Mal Scrimshaw's successor as York Show manager) a few weeks ago rearranged 'This is York''s exhibiton debut from Easter 2022 to Easter 2023 and, now the decision is made, it is a considerable relief.

On reflection, I'd far rather do it well than do it quickly and progress will continue to be reported here as and when there's something worth reporting.

Wishing everyone the very best for 2022.

A photo update will follow in the next few days......

York wasn't built in a day?

• Funny 2

I've just updated the layout's website home page (link at the bottom of this post):

642333742_screenshotofnewhomepage.jpg.3e139ab98fa2a347f2845924ddef6741.jpg

...and amended the 'Days to go' countdown from 106 days (to Easter Saturday 2022) to 463 (to Easter Saturday 2023).

Far from feeling like an admission of defeat, it felt very positive and MUCH more comfortable!

Reference by Bradfordbuffer to Eboracum reminded me of the latin saying:

Festina lente - Make haste slowly.

Whilst checking that my latin spelling was correct I stumbled across this:

Hâtez-vous lentement, et sans perdre courage,
Vingt fois sur le métier remettez votre ouvrage,
Polissez-le sans cesse, et le repolissez,
Ajoutez quelquefois, et souvent effacez.

(Slowly make haste, and without losing courage;
Twenty times redo your work;
Polish and re-polish endlessly,
And sometimes add, but often take away)

by the 17th century French poet Nicolas Boileau (who I have to say, I'd never heard of):rolleyes_mini:

Although writing about composing poetry, this sounds like good advice to me - must try to remember it!!

Edited by kirmies
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, kirmies said:

46097567_2022-05-01A4slores.jpg.2260673789532447336e0ded818a13af.jpg

Shame 4491 isn't one of them - but given what we are doing in the cricket....

Stunning looking model - hopefully I will make it over whilst it is out on the circuit to see it.

43 minutes ago, Sithlord75 said:

Shame 4491 isn't one of them - but given what we are doing in the cricket....

Stunning looking model - hopefully I will make it over whilst it is out on the circuit to see it.

More A4s are planned - 4491 could be one of them perhaps with custom made nameplates 'DOMINANCE OF AUSTRALIA' and a decal of the Ashes urn on the cab side :rolleyes:

• Like 3
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
30 minutes ago, Caley Jim said:

An invitation to a gentleman's club Christmas dinner included the line 'Members may bring their wife or girlfriend, but not both!'.

Jim

That's similar to the old naval toast: "To wives and girlfriends - and may they never meet".

• Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 1

3 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

That's similar to the old naval toast: "To wives and girlfriends - and may they never meet".

That would be Saturday .  Fortunately, my parents are married, so I'd not know all the custom of the wierdroom :)
PO2 James Powell, RCN  (Retired)

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• 4 weeks later...

Finally the batch of 4 A3s and 4 A4s is completed.

I've posted on here before how batch building is a double edged sword - one the one hand you do end up with a whole batch of stuff built but......it takes ages.

When I first started building 'This is York' I divided the work up into 'modules' with a target completion date for each. This felt very efficient and positive at the time.

So first the good news: the 8 Gresley pacifics are completed......

And now the bad news, the target date for completion was the end of March 2021.

The best laid plans etc.

• Friendly/supportive 4

So, having gone to all this effort and built 8 replacement 2FS chassis for my Dapol Gresley pacifics, was it worth it?

Or perhaps the broader question is:

Now that there is N-gauge Finetrax, is it still worth modelling in 2mm/ft finescale?

First of all, what now looks similar whether N-gauge or 2FS?

• N-gauge trackwork (if using Finetrax) is now ALMOST as good looking as 2FS track. The main difference being the size of the flangeways
  • With diesel locos, coaching stock and wagons looked at from a distance it's hard to tell the difference

So what about steam prototypes? Let's compare a Dapol A4 staight out of the box:

IMG_1955.jpg.0bd4c04592b471b8cab4b7d3bed33220.jpg

With one of my newly finished 2FS converted ones:

1128473646_IMG_7998cropped.jpg.252ce167778077178eda35bdc9b48271.jpg

(Please, for the purposes of this comparison, ignore the missing rear pony wheels on the 2FS version - I had forgotten to put them back on when the photo was taken!).

Fairly obviously, the main difference is the finer scale wheels and valve gear (although the much improved hand rails also make a big difference). Having tried fitting finer valve gear onto the Dapol wheels I can report that this is NOT a job I would recommend!

To me this demonstrates that all the time and effort is very much worthwhile and roughly equates to the difference between the Triang-Hornby Flying Scotsman I had as a boy and a finescale kit built A3 or one of the very best modern ready to run models.

Or, to put it another way, the first photo couldn't really be anything other than an N-gauge model whereas the second just might be a photo of a 4mm model.

Edited by kirmies
Re-adding photos
  • Like 6
  • Agree 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4