PWA Fertilizer Wagons

On 05/02/2021 at 07:13, Darius43 said:

Made a start on the last of the original 8 Lima wagons.  I have run out of Jon’s etched trusses so scratch built them using plasticard.

2DCCC550-B54D-45E7-AFF1-549421EB4040.jpeg.aeeb2e5cbdaf368a1e4e6ccc27e88e3d.jpeg

BB452959-15E7-4C99-8D82-41DB117830FE.jpeg.d26e2e105755c7f23b673272af588ec3.jpeg

B2634A04-B225-41D3-9028-CFE0EEA3F2D5.jpeg.d57cfb7dce778185f325d8ecc5cc5052.jpeg

The plan is to finish it like the heavily weathered BRT example as per the photo on HMRSPaul’s website.

Cheers

Darius

Darius - pretty cheeky ask...

RETRACTED

Steve S

Edited by SteveyDee68
Perhaps it was ...

6 minutes ago, SteveyDee68 said:

Darius - pretty cheeky ask, but do you have a drawing of the side trusses you made that you might share, please? I assume you took dimensions off the aforementioned (and used up) etches as per your earlier builds?

Steve S

FFS

28 minutes ago, jonhall said:

FFS

In light of your above comment, I have retracted my request.

I did not mean to offend anyone with my request, and in light of the above comment I can see that it might be construed as a cheeky ask too far.

As Darius had mentioned running out of etched trusses,  I assumed that meant that they were no longer available.

Apologies to JonHall who I now realise was the originator of the etches, and so - quite rightly - was offended by my request.

I shall now assume that etches are still available, and will purchase them for the several wagons I have (if Jon is willing to sell them to me after my appalling faux pas)

The adage runs true - when I ASSUME it makes an ASS out of U and ME.

Steve S

Edited by SteveyDee68
apology to JonHall
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

For the record, the trusses on this wagon are based on a photo on HMRS Paul’s website.  I used Jon’s excellent etched trusses on the previous wagons but thought it churlish to order just one more to finish this wagon - hence the scratch building.  The truss gusset plating is slightly different to match the photo.

If you are planning on adding trusses I would highly recommend Jon’s product as scratch building lots of them is not what I would call fun.

Cheers

Darius

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

As it happens I'm waiting on a cheque that will account for the last of this batch of etches, there will be more, but I'm waiting until I order something else to save on the postage from the etcher to me. I'll probably have more stock in 6-8 weeks time.

Jon

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

23 minutes ago, jonhall said:

As it happens I'm waiting on a cheque that will account for the last of this batch of etches, there will be more, but I'm waiting until I order something else to save on the postage from the etcher to me. I'll probably have more stock in 6-8 weeks time.

Jon

Excellent, I'll be looking at least a set or two if you want to pop my name down. Don't mind paying upfront if it helps?

Gentlemen - thank you, I have learnt two things:

1) That there are differences in Darius's model that I simply don't have the expertise to spot! (Again, I assumed ... oh dear!)

2) That Jon is still producing the etch, which as Darius points out are a preferable method of upgrading several wagons than trying to replicate scratchbuilt replacements multiple times.

As I am probably definitely not competent enough to scratch build one set of frames, let alone several, I will be more than happy to purchase from Jon in due course.

For the record, I do try to support small suppliers on RMWeb, such as being the first, only and last customer for Locksley (of this parish) with his experiment offering downloadable STL files for 3D printers (despite not owning a printer myself!) and my pre-order and deposit for Planet Industrial's forthcoming Victory class loco (the first time I have ever done so) - I would never knowingly try to avoid paying for the time and expertise needed to produce such valuable resources - after all, as a musician I am used to having to fight to get recognition for the skills involved when being paid for my services!*

Meanwhile, I look forward to improving my Lima pallet/fertiliser vans sometime in the future, at the same time knowing full well that I shall be adding ferry cleats so they (unprototypically) represent ferry wagons and will probably have folk screaming for me to be hung!

Ah well, they look a bit like what I think a ferry wagon should look like! :D

Steve S

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, SteveyDee68 said:

Gentlemen - thank you, I have learnt two things:

1) That there are differences in Darius's model that I simply don't have the expertise to spot! (Again, I assumed ... oh dear!)

2) That Jon is still producing the etch, which as Darius points out are a preferable method of upgrading several wagons than trying to replicate scratchbuilt replacements multiple times.

As I am probably definitely not competent enough to scratch build one set of frames, let alone several, I will be more than happy to purchase from Jon in due course.

For the record, I do try to support small suppliers on RMWeb, such as being the first, only and last customer for Locksley (of this parish) with his experiment offering downloadable STL files for 3D printers (despite not owning a printer myself!) and my pre-order and deposit for Planet Industrial's forthcoming Victory class loco (the first time I have ever done so) - I would never knowingly try to avoid paying for the time and expertise needed to produce such valuable resources - after all, as a musician I am used to having to fight to get recognition for the skills involved when being paid for my services!*

Meanwhile, I look forward to improving my Lima pallet/fertiliser vans sometime in the future, at the same time knowing full well that I shall be adding ferry cleats so they (unprototypically) represent ferry wagons and will probably have folk screaming for me to be hung!

Ah well, they look a bit like what I think a ferry wagon should look like! :D

Steve S

Evening Steve, Jon's etches are great and very much the easiest way forward to add the variety. The PWA's are a bit of a minefield with differences between the builds

This thread started by Jon has lots of details and discussion on the various elements. Also it's very worthwhile to invest in some of the Stenson Models fast freight bogies to replace the Lima efforts. 

I'm currently out of transfers already printed up but can send over the artwork if you fancy or if you hang on for a bit I'm working on some transfers for something else so could print a few more PWA bits if you or anyone else wants.

Cheers

James

Edited by jessy1692
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Nuts!!  I wish I had found this thread earlier, or never at all  ;-) I just spent £20 on a UKF one, when I could have picked up any of the other types for cheaper and modded it.

If you really want to go nuts on it, C-Rail sell individual locking bars ;-)

https://shop.c-rail-intermodal.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&path=72_74&product_id=145

Edited by Esmedune
Forgot the link.
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1