Garden Railway - Station Platforms

• RMweb Gold

Evening All

Not sure which forum to place this in......

I have built a garden railway and it has got to the stage that I would like to add some station platforms on the layout. Previously I had built these from 3-5mm plastic and they lasted probably 2 years until the weather got to them, especially the sun. Then I rebuilt the platforms out of wood and covered this with roof felt but no matter how careful I have been the damp / wet gets to it.

When the sun shines my garden is a great sun trap and when the temperatures rise they have an effect on the platforms so I thought about aluminium angle as the platform fronts but I don't know what is best to use as the platform hence why I am looking for some , excuse the pun, some constructive pointers.

Jim

• RMweb Premium

If they're straight, my first thought would be to use solid plastic deck boards - something like this would seem ideal -

Screenshot_20210106-085757.png.1a74e4f261ccb2098bbdde0742766267.png

Use smooth side up, rout or cut off the lower portion of the groove to leave an overhang. 25mm thick, weather resistant, and doesn't even need painting!

You could even cut/scribe some flagstone detail into it if you wanted.

• Thanks 1

On a garden railway with a concrete track bed, it's hard to find anything more durable that cement, cast in simple wooden formwork. 

Indeed, even without a concrete trackbed to bond to, I'd seriously consider cast concrete if at all possible. 

• Thanks 1