Consent to use personal data

• RMweb Gold

For the last few attempts, each time I open RMweb the  following appears and I have to go through the rigmarole of choosing settings or consenting.  This is on my iPad, I haven’t tried it on my PC yet.   Is this an issue at my end or is it something you are working on?

09DFE692-4F8A-4640-B72F-DA5E6AC8005F.png

• Agree 5

• RMweb Gold

I don’t have an issue with rmweb, but my iPad has recently started resetting the preferences on a lot more regular basis for many sites, particularly news sites but also the met office, bbc etc.

Are you using the default safari browser?

• RMweb Gold

Yes, I’m using Safari.

It occasionally asks for preferences on other sites but no more often than it used to.  The pop-up above had only just started this evening and happens every time I open RMweb.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold

I noticed the same on my Iphone SE yesterday for the first time. It appears on my PC the first time after I reboot every week because I delete coookies on start up. Why it has started to appear each and every time on my phone is a mystery. I am not aware that Apple have changed IOS recently so I lay the cause to a change on RMWeb. 

I’m using my iPad as my default bit of kit. I haven’t updated it recently but this is now getting beyond a joke. I love RMWEB but every time I am opening or revisiting the site I am getting this pop up that wants to harvest my browsing info. 

Please can anyone advise me, I am not techy in any way. I have not experienced this on any other site. 

RMWEB is this something that the site has requested or is this likely to be my end? I would be gutted if this is going to continue every time I go to the site. 

• Moderators

You should only get that pop-up request every once in a while but the common thread above seems to be Apple devices where through whatever updates it's binned existing cookies and consents and sent you back to square one. There could be something within existing cookies it doesn't like the flavour of so it may be worth deleting any RMweb cookies, temporary files or browsing history from the browser and sign-in afresh.

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201265

• Informative/Useful 6

• RMweb Gold
43 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

You should only get that pop-up request every once in a while but the common thread above seems to be Apple devices where through whatever updates it's binned existing cookies and consents and sent you back to square one. There could be something within existing cookies it doesn't like the flavour of so it may be worth deleting any RMweb cookies, temporary files or browsing history from the browser and sign-in afresh.

Thanks, Andy but that was the first thing I tried by default. Didn’t make any difference. I checked this morning and it isn’t happening on my desktop Windows PC.
Don’t you just love Apple.

Edited by BoD
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

I have seen this but not for some weeks. In the course of 24 hours I typically use a couple of MacBooks and an iMac. Apple had a big (3GB) update to Big Sur a couple of weeks ago, but my lamentable Internet connection - copper on a roadside pole-route - means I have yet to manage a successful download, so that may explain why I am not seeing this now. Has there also been an iOS update recently - I think so?

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

Has there also been an iOS update recently - I think so?

Yes there has, but it hasn’t downloaded here and it doesn’t install until I give it permission to do so.  It hasn’t asked for that permission yet and I only discovered it was there when I went to have a look at the software update history.

Edited by BoD
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, AY Mod said:

I only seem to get this (on my phone) when I’m not already logged in (it usually stays signed in but not always).

2 hours ago, AY Mod said:

Many thanks for your help with this Andy. I’ll give it a go. 

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

Ok, this is getting ridiculous now. If I leave my iPad inactive for an hour or more and then access RMWEB, on an already open tab, it kicks up that poxy consent form. I have continually delete all cookies etc and it still makes no difference. 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, Grizz said:

Ok, this is getting ridiculous now. If I leave my iPad inactive for an hour or more and then access RMWEB, on an already open tab, it kicks up that poxy consent form. I have continually delete all cookies etc and it still makes no difference. 

I doubt it’s anything to do with RMweb as @AY Mod and the team would have resolved it quickly as they often do

It’s more likely to be something to do with Apple themselves. Apple often change things to annoy the users of their products.....but I keep buying them :rolleyes:

• Like 1

I've seen the same pop-up from other sites. I suspect the problem emanates from whichever server is supplying this content management service. 

Oh and just another thought; Since the UK has now left the EU isn't it true that the Directive that instigated this content management is no longer in force, so we should not besting any of this nonsense. 

Edited by billbedford

• RMweb Gold

Sadly all such eu directives/legislation were signed into uk law and will remain so unless repealed.

the one that confuses me is this craze of legitimate interest cookies on news sites. How can any company I haven’t heard of, and don’t know what they do claim to have a legitimate interest in tracking me....

Edited by Jonboy

• RMweb Premium

Getting the same irritating consent pop up every time I enter RMWeb from my email notifications, every single time......getting beyond a joke. Deleted cookies, restarted iPad, history cleaned.......still happening.

Edited by boxbrownie
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1

Strictly speaking under GDPR, the default should be for cookies etc to be turned off unless the the user specifically wants them, although the majority of websites appear to do the opposite.

Personally I think apart from genuinely useful cookies like those which remember your password or your search history, all other cookies should be outlawed.

Quite apart from any privacy concerns, I have no wish for websites to be dumping loads of useless (to me) information onto my computer and phone.

• Like 1
  • Agree 5
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, RJS1977 said:

Strictly speaking under GDPR, the default should be for cookies etc to be turned off unless the the user specifically wants them, although the majority of websites appear to do the opposite.

Nope

I find quite the opposite

Almost all sites have "accept all cookies" and "manage cookies"

In "manage cookies" all are turned off apart from essential ones, you have the option to turn them on.

I Just accept the "manage cookies" setting.

• Agree 2

Three times today on my iPhone. None of the suggestions provided has worked. As Jonboy says, I struggle with the idea of “legitimate interest”.

I wonder about consent and data mining. I looked up “Lord Raglan”, a Manning Wardle 18” 0-4-0T, all cookies off, and now Amazon is trying to sell me a book on the Woolwich Arsenal Railway. Still, I suppose that’s better than when they try and sell you another version of a one-off purchase you have just made (random ceramic tap cartridges most recently!).

Paul

• Like 1