Consent to use personal data

• RMweb Premium

Since this morning, when I logged in first thing using this iPad, (pop up there again!), I’ve been using my phone (a Huawei) to access the site, not had any trouble and no pop ups. 

I logged in this evening using my iPad and it worked without the pop up showing up!

Hooray.

I’ve now got adverts sliding up from the bottom of the screen as I scroll, which I think is new.

Internet adverts are a bit like listening to Radio Luxembourg as a kid in Birkenhead.  You got to hear the music, but there was lots of noise...  I do wonder how many RMWeb enthusiasts actually want to buy a fitted bedroom, presumably enough to make it worth someone’s while!

cheers

Simon

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

As regards the "Options" we are required to approve or deny.

I just came across something on a DC Thomson site and it was decidely dodgy

After I had disabled all the none essential cookies (a rather longer list than normal) I went back to the start to check I had done them all and found they had all re-enabled.

Surely that is illegal? (Windows)

Edited by melmerby

After an excellent two months WITHOUT adverts - I switched on the computer, clicked on RMWEB... and they're back! everywhere, just annoying - tried to get rid of a few - and they just pop back up again - I consider advertising easily the the most annoying evil of the modern so called 'smart' online world, it's a form of brain washing and there is no escape from it, on tv, radio and online ( I believe that Firefox has had an 'update',( that depends on your point of view - it seems to me that an 'update' is always a step backwards when it comes to computers ) , and that has carefully removed any settings that I had inadvertently  managed to install to wipe out the little *(*&^^^!). So back to square 1 - this is turning into a war...I have to say that it is certainly a strong incentive to reduce my browsing on rmweb to a minimum!!! If I could only have it back as it was previously.

Annoyed.

regards,

Sigtech.

• Agree 1

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, sigtech said:

there is no escape from it, on tv, radio and online

There isn't because that's how your usage of those mediums are paid for. Not exactly new news.

• Agree 4
  • Thanks 1

Hello again, problem with adverts is now  solved,  re-read my previous entries, along with the replies from Martin Wynne - he of 'Templot' fame, then altered Firefox security settings, regarding cookies, from Normal to Strict, along with change to HTTPS only and clearing out of cookies, Result, once more I am add free, and as a bonus the computer is generally running much faster (all that  extra rubbish now removed at source...)

Regards.  gog      ( grumpy old git )...

SIGTECH.

Steve.

• Like 2

On 15/01/2021 at 10:12, AY Mod said:

The Legitimate Interest sliders are moved to accepted by default

On 15/01/2021 at 13:38, Simond said:

I'm not sure about the Legitimate Interest sliders - there are lots of them under vendor preferences that seem to have no valid reason to be there.  I may be over suspicious but if I don't need them I'm not clear why a vendor should have any reasonable justification in placing a cookie on my device.  The details of what constitute Legitimate Interest are listed on the ICO website, as I'm sure you are aware.

IMO* having toggles/sliders for 'legitimate interest' is utter nonsense, and can only be based on either a catastrophic misunderstanding of the regulation, or some kind of misguided attempt to give users the idea that they are being given control over these things.

The regulation works like this: a data controller can decide that they have a "legitimate interest" in processing a data subject's personal data in a particular way.  As an example: an online retailer clearly has a legitimate interest in knowing (storing & using, which means processing) your name and address, otherwise it gets a bit tricky to send you the stuff you order.  The data controller should (for which read must) state that they use your personal data in this way in their privacy notice.  If a data subject believes that a data controller does not have a legitimate interest in processing personal data in the way they describe then they can tell the data controller to stop processing their personal data (exercising one of the rights of the data subject laid down in the regulation) or they can complain to the ICO about it, but they can't opt out - legitimate interest does not work that way.

The ICO web site is, as ever, a good source of information about this stuff.  Its guidance about the use of legitimate interests as a lawful basis for processing personal data is here.  Note the statement in this section: "Using this basis for processing that is expected and has a low privacy impact may help you avoid bombarding people with unnecessary consent requests and can help avoid ‘consent fatigue’."  In other words: if you can justify your processing of personal data on the legitimate interests basis you don't need to seek consent.  Thus, offering users toggles/sliders labelled "legitimate interest" is simply nonsensical.

On 07/01/2021 at 18:16, Jonboy said:

Sadly all such eu directives/legislation were signed into uk law and will remain so unless repealed.

The thing about GDPR was that it didn't have to be signed in to UK law: as an EU regulation (as opposed to a directive) it became law automatically in all EU states.  However, the UK government had a good reason to choose to enact a law (the Data Protection Act 2018) which replicates** GDPR in UK law.  It was already known that the UK was going to leave the EU.  GDPR is very strict about processing personal data of EU citizens in third countries or territories: if the third country/territory in which an organisation wishes to process such data doesn't have a data protection regime in place which is recognised by the European Commission as providing the same protections as GDPR (that recognition being referred to in the GDPR as an "adequacy decision") then life can become very awkward for businesses which may want (for many perfectly respectable reasons - as well as maybe a few dodgy ones) to process EU citizens' personal data outside of the EU.  The simplest way for the UK to gain an "adequacy decision" was to effectively replicate GDPR in UK law.

Given that the UK contributed heavily to both the 1995 Directive 95/46/EC and the 2016 GDPR, it would have seemed a trifle contrary to walk away from all that and put some of its larger corporations to a lot of effort and expense which might well have rendered parts of their business unprofitable (as is reportedly now happening as a result of other apparently "unexpected" outcomes of the UK leaving the EU).

* In a recent past life I was an information security professional trained in GDPR, and an advisor on the subject to my employer's information security management committee.

** Not word for word, but the Act and the Regulation are extremely similar in both structure and meaning - and for a very good reason.

Edited by ejstubbs
  • Thanks 2