Oliver Springs Industrial Spur - BNSF Switching Layout

Liam_uk

• RMweb Premium

I'm in the planning stage of something similar (modern CSX switching) so having been looking around for ideas from the prototype. I would like a small yard and have found that there are some places where there is a small yard/area of a larger yard where blocking for the locals takes place. This is usually to relieve the main busy yard of the work. The yardmaster just wants the local stuff out of the way. Another thing I've come across is where the engine service facilities basically consist of spur with a track next to it and refuelling etc is done from a lorry whcih turns up when needed.

Lee

Hi

Not sure of it would be helpful but could I point you in the direction of the thread for my old layout 'Hacienda Avenue'

While a lot smaller that your project the prototype information at the start of the thread might give you some more ideas on operations and track formations esp as the prototype location used ex-BN and Santa Fe cabooses to shove down what was effectively a v long siding that is the Kimberley Sub. 

If you are in the market for an accurate Santa Fe caboose the Athearn Genesis ICC caboose is a excellent model (I had to go down the brasss route)

Cheers

Dan

• Like 1

15 hours ago, long island jack said:

If it was me, i'd do away with the fiddle yard and make it into a scenic yard with a small satellite shed( yard power, locals), i'd add a dummy mainline at both ends to connect with the rest of the world, single track would do.

Then spread the industries out over the other two sides, with room for scenery, with a run round at the far end, spurs going both way, industry with 3-4 spots each, it's not the amount of industries, it's the number of spots it has that makes it interesting, have a look on google maps at industrial parks there's lots of industries that are not rail served.

At the end of the day it's your layout, so it's what you want, but to me less is more.

look at this https://thehillsline.com/      http://www.iaisrailfans.org/gallery/MJMGrimesLine

that sounds an awesome idea.

I had wanted to make a scenic yard but I was going to have it separated by a scenic break.

Ill have to pen a few ideas as I can lay the opposite side whilst drawing the yard up. 

Ive also had a look at the links and videos you shared, and like the shoving platform to give extra operational interest.....

Thank you for the feedback.

So I have had a reconfigure and think.

I did 2 designs 1 as the end of a large yard and the second as its own local yard.

There is a single line Mainline along the rear.

Each yard has an Inbound and Outbound road (the local yard also has a run round), then 3 sidings for sorting.

The local yard also has team track/caboose road for the shoving platform.

There is also a loco area.

Hopefully for once Im closer than normal on making it more prototypical.

2131306453_OliverSprings2.jpg.416d61158607a8a946cb731aabc6e869.jpg

1915332405_OliverSprings3.jpg.e7428f0fd467f559180ea14696e3d3a4.jpg

• Like 1

Snap, was playing around in Anyrail and came up with this, very similar to your plan!!!!:o

1102375515_classyard.jpg.120f9d1106841babcc62521cb15132d1.jpg  with your plan, could you not move your team track around the corner and leave the other track for cabooses, most plans i've seen the caboose track is usually a loop, but not always.

Edited by long island jack
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, long island jack said:

Snap, was playing around in Anyrail and came up with this, very similar to your plan!!!!:o

1102375515_classyard.jpg.120f9d1106841babcc62521cb15132d1.jpgwith your plan, could you not move your team track around the corner and leave the other track for cabooses, most plans i've seen the caboose track is usually a loop, but not always.

I do like that design 

• Like 1

I've also laid the track out in the industrial area. The cars represent the number of spots per industry (apart from the cement terminal which will have 4 spots).

Again due to picture size it'll be over a few posts

IMG_20210218_133645.jpg.de8f42783fc86ccba2dd01a8ec1428a5.jpg

IMG_20210218_133734.jpg.b25c71e08d8984ede8dc4ea497a7f83f.jpg

7 hours ago, long island jack said:

re- jig to length, plus i've moved the caboose track

1954814231_classyard1.jpg.4622c2488a724d57c03f312d457dd07d.jpg

I know it would make things not quite as they should be, but I'd change the top-left crossover by 'main west' for left-hand switches, so the rear-most 'main' was accessible from the industrial spur lead. Otherwise to all intents & purposes the whole of that main track is un-useable for the layout.

I know it's a 'dummy' main with west & east going no further than the corners, but it's a shame to lose a long length of track like that to layout operations.

• RMweb Premium
26 minutes ago, F-UnitMad said:

I know it would make things not quite as they should be, but I'd change the top-left crossover by 'main west' for left-hand switches, so the rear-most 'main' was accessible from the industrial spur lead. Otherwise to all intents & purposes the whole of that main track is un-useable for the layout.

I know it's a 'dummy' main with west & east going no further than the corners, but it's a shame to lose a long length of track like that to layout operations.

Would another alternative be to keep that crossover “as it should be” but move it right a bit, so that a short train (a transfer run?) could pull into the yard from “main west”, pulling onto the second track next to “main east” if more space was needed.  It could then back up a bit into the yard arrival / departure run-round.  Would that be allowed?

Coming along with the industrial area tracks now.

Taking a bit longer than planned as I have to synchronise my banging and drilling between my partner's work meetings.

IMG_20210222_160012.jpg.5ee95173368679917fe9d837b0eebf92.jpg

The manufacturing industry from the far side has now been moved to the top corner with 2 spots.

IMG_20210222_160018.jpg.2fc6c04b569ffbba3d2fbff8e7493bdf.jpg

All laid apart from the top left road. This will now become the building supplies company with 2 spots.

IMG_20210222_160036.jpg.cb0d337a7d401ec768a9ac0a5a2da23f.jpg

Minus the cut of cars

IMG_20210222_160111.jpg.2fc802977a2d7348941129952e5a7760.jpg

The cars on the Transload road are just to see how many spots it would have.

• Like 1