Oliver Springs Industrial Spur - BNSF Switching Layout

Liam_uk

2 hours ago, Liam_uk said:

Cement spur with the actual facility 3ft (in HO!) Away from the switch

That's one of the things I got from Lance Mindheim's writings - a layout may be simple but if the spurs are looooooong it takes more time to switch!! Just, as they say, like the real thing!! ;)

• Like 3

Something to consider, going by your track plan, is there going to be any need for point motors, as you'll be walking with the train, to switch industries.                                                                        Not sure how your going to uncouple the cars, may be a BBQ skewer, which also doubles up as point control.

Just think what you could buy with the money you saved, by not buying point motors, just saying! :scratchhead::D

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

7 hours ago, long island jack said:

Something to consider, going by your track plan, is there going to be any need for point motors, as you'll be walking with the train, to switch industries.                                                                        Not sure how your going to uncouple the cars, may be a BBQ skewer, which also doubles up as point control.

Just think what you could buy with the money you saved, by not buying point motors, just saying! :scratchhead::D

I had been thinking this as it'll only be 1 engine in steam principal.

I had been thinking of BBQ skewer if space allows between the levels. I may have to install 1 or 2 magnets

• RMweb Premium
On 18/02/2021 at 18:32, long island jack said:

you mean like this

1925776938_classyard2.jpg.96cb5b9be8c2aaee2fece055e0c26b9c.jpg

On 18/02/2021 at 18:33, F-UnitMad said:

Yes. :good:

As it looks like a curved right on the lead from the lower left, why not have two in a row, followed by a left on the furthest track - that may flow a bit better than straightening up before the crossover with two lefts?

Or - curved right/right/left?

Edited by newbryford

1 hour ago, long island jack said:

Like this, they don't tend to use curved point much states side, it's more a British thing, they got the space!!

Agreed. I recall seeing at least one trackplan in Model Railroader that actually put a label on it to show "curved switches", they are so rare over there!!!

Also re hand-operated switches (turnouts); throwing them that way rather than using point motors helps capture the 'feel' of working an industrial branch, doing the work of the train conductor. 

Edited by F-UnitMad
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

When I was initially looking at a new layout I was thinking of motorising all the switchs as it seems to be the norm here in the UK and what I've done on all my previous layouts including a very small 009 layout. However, after reading Lance Mindheim, et al and watching lots of US switching layouts on YouTube I've been sold on hand throwing. As F-UnitMad says it adds to the operational 'feel'. I'm also thinking of doing some small (literally :) ) 2-person engineer/conductor sessions with my grandchildren so this would add to it. I am tossing up between going down using a skewer from above or using bike spoke/piano wire operation from below. I've also decided not to have any magnets for uncoupling but use a skewer for the same reasoning.

It seems that here in the UK we're very adverse to having hands appear in our layouts whereas in the US they don't mind. Maybe it's that here we're more exhibition orientated?

Lee

• Like 5

8 hours ago, z4driver said:

It seems that here in the UK we're very adverse to having hands appear in our layouts whereas in the US they don't mind. Maybe it's that here we're more exhibition orientated?

Possibly. Personally I don't understand why some people get so upset about the 'hand of god' appearing, when fully automatic couplers miss out the interaction of a person with the coupling operation altogether, since on the real thing all forms of coupler need some form of human interaction at some point.

Such people may claim the 'h-o-g' destroys any illusion of watching reality. If, at an exhibition, they can blank out all the distractions of a noisy hall, the jostles from rucksacks and the inevitable whiff of certain individuals, and convince themselves they really are at the lineside of a real railway, then they have better powers of concentration than me.... :rolleyes:  ;)

• Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, z4driver said:

Lee

The skewer for Kadees is far less intrusive than someone using a short bar to couple 3-links {*}, or a "shovel" under a tension lock.

[dons flame suit, but probably not needed as lots of UK modellers wouldn't dream of frequenting a thread aimed at non-UK operations]

{*} coupling 3-links often involves more than one attempt and/or a hook on the end of a pen torch, so even more intrusive IMO. Much time can be had watching people trying to couple links under a corridor connection.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

When I built my first American layout I installed uncoupling magnets, but the uncoupling process was somewhat convoluted and the magnets always seemed to be in the wrong place. So I removed them, and didn't bother with them on my second layout. I found it far more straightforward to uncouple with a quick twist of the Kadee stick or a skewer of some kind.

I work my turnouts with push-pull wooden dowels under the layout, with a length of piano wire sticking through and upwards through a hole in the tiebar. The dowels stick out of the baseboard at both front and back for operation from either side, depending on whether I'm at home or at a show.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, newbryford said:

The skewer for Kadees is far less intrusive than someone using a short bar to couple 3-links {*}, or a "shovel" under a tension lock.

[dons flame suit, but probably not needed as lots of UK modellers wouldn't dream of frequenting a thread aimed at non-UK operations]

{*} coupling 3-links often involves more than one attempt and/or a hook on the end of a pen torch, so even more intrusive IMO. Much time can be had watching people trying to couple links under a corridor connection.

The thing I would worry about if this was my layout was banging my head on the layout above when leaning in to uncouple cars spotted on the rear spurs :scratchhead:.

It’s quite a relief for me with my own layout plans that manual switching and uncoupling is conventional on US layouts - my budget doesn’t extend to point motors, plus it will simplify the wiring across portable baseboard joints (I’ve not wired a layout for forty years).  As for uncoupling, some of the older rolling stock I’ve been donated has either metal axles or even metal trucks.  I don’t know if this would be a problem with magnets, but it’s something else I don’t need to worry about.  I just need to clean out the BBQ to justify buying a load of skewers.

Edited by Keith Addenbrooke

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, rodshaw said:

I work my turnouts with push-pull wooden dowels under the layout, with a length of piano wire sticking through and upwards through a hole in the tiebar. The dowels stick out of the baseboard at both front and back for operation from either side, depending on whether I'm at home or at a show.

I'd be interested if you have any pictures etc of this.

Cheers Lee

Thank you everyone for the feedback and conversation. It's really good to see people talking about their experiences and thoughts. 

It has really helped when building the layout and has been the most useful resource I have found to help me. 

I'm going to try with just an uncoupling stick and see how I get on. If the rear spots are difficult to uncouple due to access with cars in front and the top layout I'll revert to magnets for those spots. 

This is how the layout sits. I have used the area people would normally use for storage as an extra layout but only on 3 sides:

IMG_20210301_150311.jpg.c091dd99da7205b1bedc616fe9e74dfc.jpg

Again due to using my phone I'll have to put a few posts with various pictures of progress....

• Like 2

IMG_20210301_150304.jpg.999872960f19fc9422265cc9ac190f54.jpg

I've finished laying all the industrial area tracks now all the way to the curve that will eventually connect to the yard. I have left the lower end not pinned down sonincan move it into position when I lay the yard tracks

• Like 4

IMG_20210301_150322.jpg.a9f3d8fcecfddf4144079d78ac237373.jpg

Part of the curve from behind the cement works

IMG_20210301_150335.jpg.e85337ec6a49e45cf33c08c3dff01991.jpg

The corn syrup distributor track is now in place. This idea has been taken from another layout I've seen on YouTube. 

I'll have 2 spots here with unloading pipes and the building will be a loading facility for further distribution by road 

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

IMG_20210301_150251.jpg.46774680dc097c2cb6129e644f63fd34.jpg

This shows the curve behind the cement silos. 

IMG_20210301_150347.jpg.cfebe751eba8c73fa4bb0badd41889a7.jpg

Another view of the corn syrup distributor area. This is 22 inch wide and apart from this industry will be mainly scenic.

I'll be adding lighting under the top deck at some point in the near future...

• Like 4

IMG_20210301_150720.jpg.4cfed08a33dd07a5963b681ed080f4ca.jpg

I plan to have a grade crossing on the entrance area to the industrial area, (the lower track goes to the cement silos, the upper track to the 2 Industries). 

I have used OO gauge vehicles to get an idea of width for the crossing.

The question is, what are the rules that determines whether the crossing need just signs, or lights or lights and full barriers?

• Like 1