Dinorwic Port Class Quarrey Hunslet Question

Good evening all.

I am building a Port Class Hunslet (based on Michael) from a 16 mm 3D printed/laser cut acrylic kit. The kit is quite generic/ basic, but provides an excellent basis for adding detail.

I am trying to find dimensions and details of parts on Port Class Hunslets. In normal times a trip to Statfold with a camera and tape measure would have been my preferred option (a good day out too!) but, alas, won't be able to do that for a while.......

In particular, I would like to find out the dimensions of the cab spectacle rings (OD and ID) and drawings, or photos and dimensions of the safety valves and whistle on the dome. Arrangement drawing or photo of the cab interior would also be useful.

Can anyone point me in the right direction please? Any information would be very much appreciated.

Thanks in anticipation 

Best Regards

Mike

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Quarryscapes said:

You Need Don Townsley's drawing, it's in Cliff Thomas's Quarry Hunslets book and I believe may have appeared in the model railway press at some point too. I've only got Alice class stuff here at the moment. 

There were three Don Townsley Hunslet Quarry Locomotive articles as follows.

"0-4-0ST Jerry M", MRN, September 1966 p.416.

"0-4-0ST VELINHELI", MRN, November 1966, p.504.

"0-4-0ST No 2", MRN, March 1967, pp.138-140.

I think I am correct in saying that "Michael" was like No 2.

CP

Edited by cp409067

Michael didn't keep its cab for very long, and I don't recall having seen a photograph with it fitted while working in the quarry, although Cliff Thomas's text says there is a 1948 photograph showing a cab fitted. It was probably removed about 1950.

Don Townley's drawing of No. 2 in Quarry Hunslets of North Wales is superb, and I recommend you either get a copy of this book or the appropriate issue of MRN. In the book it is at a convenient scale of 8 mm/ft. The cab spectacles are about 15" diameter (the apperture appears to be a little more than this, and the inside of the brass frames a little less), at 30" centres, but it is rather harder describing the whistle and safety valves.

Michael is probably the least photographed of the three locomotives, but there are plenty of photographs online of Dolbadarn (No. 2). From what I can tell, apart from the cab-mounted whistle and a mechanical lubricator, she is still in pretty much original shape (although doubtless many parts have been replaced). However, I admit I have not made a close study. No. 1 now goes by the name of Lady Joan (as it did for a time in the quarry), as I expect you know, and there are photographs of her as well.

Edited by Jeremy C

Hi Gents.. Thank you very much for your very helpful replies. I have managed to order a copy of Cliff Thomas's book - out of print long ago, so a second hand copy was quite difficult to find at a sensible price!!  Anyway, success and I am reliably informed it is worth every penny. Here by the weekend.

The kit I am building is, as I said, fairly basic, but ripe for some detailing. It is for running in the garden though, not destined for a showcase. The only things wrong with it really, are that the cab spectacles/ cab front and back don't look right and I will need to make or acquire fundamental, important details such as safety valves, lubricators, reverser lever, etc - hence the need for drawings....and the detailed info and photos in the book.

Jeremy, I have measured the kit and the spectacles and they are only 12" diameter and too far apart... so my initial thoughts were right. Should be fairly easily rectified.

My loco will be called Emily, so it won't be an exact replica of any of the 3 locos in particular - but I want it to be a proper Port Hunslet. I chose Michael as a basis because I like the rivets!! Smokebox has them, tank doesn't and all 3 have cabs now!! ( It might even end up GW green with copper capped chimney and polished brass!! )

Once again, thank you - your replies are much appreciated and have helped get me going.

Best Regards

Mike

Chritopher - will reply to your PM shortly - thanks

• Like 2

I have a complete set of works drawings for a Quarry Hunslet.

Some of them were used by Accucraft for their 7/8ths offering.

I think it's a large Quarry version, but a lot of the parts were interchangeable.