4 Wheel Coach Livery in the 1920's

I am going to build the former Ratio set of 3 4-wheel coaches as running in the late 1920's.  I know from gwr.org.uk that this was a seldom run combination but it is really as much for display behind a K's 2361 approximation (outside framed Dean Goods).

I have some livery questions:-

Would any likely still be in crimson lake?  I assume if only painted in 1921 some might be.

Would repaints from red be to fully lined 1922 livery?  I assume this to be the case as there was no alternative.

Were mixed livery rakes ever run?

Regarding the loco, I am contemplating finishing in black per the reference in gwr.org.uk that some Dean Goods and other shortly to be retired locos were painted black in 1925/30  I assume for these some tenders were also painted black?

Any insight or opinions would be welcome!

18 minutes ago, Jeff Smith said:

Would any likely still be in crimson lake?

Unlikely.

Would repaints from red be to fully lined 1922 livery?

Possibly.

Were mixed livery rakes ever run?

In the late 1920s, 1922, 1924, 1927 and 1928 liveries would be seen. 4-wheeler rakes tended to be painted the same though. They might even be in all-over brown.

Edited by Miss Prism
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

6 liveries that would have co-existed in late 1929 assuming  that coaches were repainted on AVERAGE every 7 years:

Crimson Lake,

Spring 1927,

Autumn 1927,

Autumn 1929

(some 4 wheel coaches would have lasted more than 7 years in Crimson Lake if repainted at the end of 1922, as by 1928 they may have been considered not worth repainting as they would be at the end of their life)

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Penrhos1920 said:

6 liveries that would have co-existed in late 1929 assuming  that coaches were repainted on AVERAGE every 7 years:

Crimson Lake,

Spring 1927,

Autumn 1927,

Autumn 1929

(some 4 wheel coaches would have lasted more than 7 years in Crimson Lake if repainted at the end of 1922, as by 1928 they may have been considered not worth repainting as they would be at the end of their life)

What photographic evidence is there for any 4-wheeler in each of these liveries, particularly the later ones?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
40 minutes ago, Penrhos1920 said:

All but Spring 1927 are illustrated here: http://penrhos.me.uk/Liveries.shtml

Bingo!

I have to confess I hadn't found that page on your site previously. 

The 1904 change to more profligate use of transfers below the waist is a subtlety of which I hadn't previously been aware.