Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Pocket Planet London - Just Like Miniatur Wunderland, Only In London.

Hi Everybody, 

I couldn't find a thread for the progress of Pocket Planet, London so I thought I'd start one.

Pocket Planet was announced in August 2020, and was said to be ready by August 2021 and open to the general public. 

Their website is here; https://www.pocket-planet.com/ and they are working with Gaugemaster to source all the required items and there is an article on this here; https://www.gaugemasterretail.com/magento/news/article/view/id/213/ Their commercial manager of Pocket Planet is from Gaugemaster, so this must be a serious venture. 

Anybody have any more news?

Thanks, 

Nick. 

Mmmmmm Hamburg or London......Hamburg is much Much Better than London IMHO plus cheaper. Fab Boozers, Gigs and nosh , coupled with being dead cheap to get around and loads of interesting things to do which are reasonably priced. London just ain't the London I used to love anymore...

Interesting to see Ireland as part of the scene too, I wonder will some Murphy Models stock run on it too.

Good luck to them.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Georgeconna said:

Mmmmmm Hamburg or London......Hamburg is much Much Better than London IMHO plus cheaper. Fab Boozers, Gigs and nosh , coupled with being dead cheap to get around and loads of interesting things to do

Yes, but, in theory at least, I can get into London for free with my OAP bus pass 

• Like 1

On 06/01/2021 at 10:24, toolongtoremember said:

Hi Everybody, 

I couldn't find a thread for the progress of Pocket Planet, London so I thought I'd start one.

Pocket Planet was announced in August 2020, and was said to be ready by August 2021 and open to the general public. 

Their website is here; https://www.pocket-planet.com/ and they are working with Gaugemaster to source all the required items and there is an article on this here; https://www.gaugemasterretail.com/magento/news/article/view/id/213/ Their commercial manager of Pocket Planet is from Gaugemaster, so this must be a serious venture. 

Anybody have any more news?

Thanks, 

Nick. 

Before people get too excited making plans, it is scheduled to open in 2022, not 21

6 hours ago, Suzie said:

How big is 37 000 square feet compared to other similar venues? At least it will have parking.

Given it's location, "under Hyde Park and adjacent to Park Lane and Marble Arch", I'd guess not anything very cheap, I assume it's within the existing Q-Park at Marble Arch which is £7/hour to use.  The trouble is I suspect the car park fills up pretty quickly with commuters / shopper.

There is another carpark behind M&S in Oxford Street, only £10/30 mins. 

Thankfully, it's outside the congestion charge zone, but if you pass through that add another £15.

I'd advise using the tube / bus.

jch

Edited by John Harris
  • Agree 1

• 5 months later...

I work for a company who were working with these guys at the initial concept stages. I know that originally they were trying to lease an upper section of the curved fronted building next to London Eye but this never came off. The Architectural drawings and layout concepts looked great though....

We were in talks to supply 3d scanners to enable the 3d scanning of visitors to then be printed and inserted into the 'land' and also the possibility of printing the visitor to take home. At that stage colour 3d printers could not print in a strong enough material to confidently ship out (potentially) worldwide. Since then we have full colour 3d printers that print in a plastic material which is much more suatable.

Ultimately there was a lack of understanding from the developer that to offer this there would have to be a substantial investment in technology but even then the possibility to 3d print 'while you wait' just didnt exist due to the print times and also the fact that almost all 3d scans would have to be post processed before printing. The other issue is that to make 3d printing say 1:64 scale figures would require hundreds of individual figures to print at a time to make it financially viable.... So, this side of things (with us) never took off.

After speaking to one of the directors recently i know that they DO have a new home for the attraction under hide park. And we are told that they DO have a partner for the scanning and printing side of things however i an very skeptical about this.

Originally they had hoped to open July of 2020 but..... COVID.

My understanding is that they also have financial backing from some big players from the leisure industry.....

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Just thought i'd have a look, and the website doesn't appear to be working. Is this still going to be a thing?

• 1 month later...
On 24/06/2021 at 16:03, Bassetmetrology said:

I work for a company who were working with these guys at the initial concept stages. I know that originally they were trying to lease an upper section of the curved fronted building next to London Eye but this never came off. The Architectural drawings and layout concepts looked great though....

We were in talks to supply 3d scanners to enable the 3d scanning of visitors to then be printed and inserted into the 'land' and also the possibility of printing the visitor to take home. At that stage colour 3d printers could not print in a strong enough material to confidently ship out (potentially) worldwide. Since then we have full colour 3d printers that print in a plastic material which is much more suatable.

Ultimately there was a lack of understanding from the developer that to offer this there would have to be a substantial investment in technology but even then the possibility to 3d print 'while you wait' just didnt exist due to the print times and also the fact that almost all 3d scans would have to be post processed before printing. The other issue is that to make 3d printing say 1:64 scale figures would require hundreds of individual figures to print at a time to make it financially viable.... So, this side of things (with us) never took off.

After speaking to one of the directors recently i know that they DO have a new home for the attraction under hide park. And we are told that they DO have a partner for the scanning and printing side of things however i an very skeptical about this.

Originally they had hoped to open July of 2020 but..... COVID.

My understanding is that they also have financial backing from some big players from the leisure industry.....

This is good to know, but they have gone VERY quiet recently :(

11 minutes ago, Denbridge said:

According to Companies House one of only two directors has resigned. I hope that isn't a bad sign.

Thats not good, I note also that Gaugemaster have changed the opening date on their article to first quarter of 2022. Also I have messaged Gaugemaster, so if they reply we'll know, if not I guess their silence would be deafening which would be a sad outcome. 

Edited by toolongtoremember

Never mind, there's still AIMREC which you may have seen being promoted at a number of major shows over the last few years.

It isn't going to be as initially envisaged either (a very large venue on the site of Ashford works), but in a suburb a few miles away, and not as handy for international travellers as originally hoped, but it's still a decent size.

https://aimrec.co.uk/about-us

latest update 

https://aimrec.co.uk/aimrec-news

• 11 months later...
  • 11 months later...