Class 86s off region

125_driver

I am a fan of the 86s (childhood memories etc), but was wondering if there have been occassions of them coming well "off" region, ie down to the south west say for a depot open days. I cant recall any during my driving career, however those with longer memories may recall something? Or any other possible instances when an 86 may have been dragged off the wires for whatever reason?? 

• RMweb Premium

86213 was dragged up to Burnley Central to be named "Lancashire Witch" in 1981

I will have pics somewhere in my collection.

edit - number correction.

Edited by newbryford

• RMweb Gold
37 minutes ago, 125_driver said:

I am a fan of the 86s (childhood memories etc), but was wondering if there have been occassions of them coming well "off" region, ie down to the south west say for a depot open days. 

86609 (together with 90132) at an open day at Laira on 15th September 1991 according to this website;

BR Open Days - Laira 1991

... and there's a photo here;

86609 at Laira

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, 125_driver said:

Or any other possible instances when an 86 may have been dragged off the wires for whatever reason?? 

If you're wanting a recent example, here's Freightliner 86632, in the company of 90049, being hauled by 66590 along the Calder Valley near Brighouse on 17th December 2020.  The pair were returning to Crewe Basford Hall after attention at Freightliner's Midland Road depot in Leeds.

1560897721_8663290049665900M86Brighouse171220202-RMweb.jpg.fdf4ffd79c9e8ef6abf19d436136939a.jpg

• Like 3

Don't forget he once quite common Nuneaton drags. Often a class 58 dragging a West Cosst set from New St to Nunezton via Water Orton due to engineering works.

Andy

• Agree 1

One has worked to Redditch on a railtour in recent years , also one went to Barnt Green on a test run following AWS repairs at Saltley (no wires) in Virgin days, and finally the only one known to have worked a passenger train on the Cross City south was when an 86 went to assist 47726 that failed at Kings Norton one summer saturday and dragged it into New Street.

• RMweb Gold

In the book "BR Electric Memories- E for Electrics" there are some photos of E3115 and E3088 at Darlington shed, taken on 26th June 1965. Apparently they were there in connection with " Torsion Tests"., these involved placing one bogie on the turntable , the other on fixed line and then turning the table slightly to test the strength of the bogie pins, which were attached to various measuring devices. Some diesel locomotives were also tested. E3068 and E3174 were also reported to have been sent to Darlington. The tests took place on the turntable behind the signal box at the south end of Bank Top station. Perhaps this could also be included in the "Prototype for everything" thread as well. 

• Informative/Useful 1

Not really "off-region" but certainly "off usual territory", here's 86417 at Chester for a naming ceremony (from https://flic.kr/p/bUnqgi ). As was done with the 90s and 390s in later years, they were also occasionally dragged through Chester on WCML diversions. Sometimes you'd even see one on a late-running Holyhead where it was presumably decided to keep the electric loco on at Crewe rather than spend time detaching it, but I suppose the above two cases are a bit off-topic... I seem to recall seeing a photo of one looking a bit out of place among the diesels and DMUs of Chester shed at some point in the late 80s / early 90s, but can't remember where I saw it I'm afraid.

Alan

spacer.png

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
17 hours ago, DY444 said:

In 1992 86208 was used to test the ole at Dollands Moor yard after it was first commissioned.

Similar to this, I'm sure I read somewhere that the first electric loco under its own power into Edinburgh Waverley was a class 86.

Since then, there have been various visits but don't think the 86s have ever been that common - particularly down the ECML (maybe more chance on trains from Carstairs)