2mm Breakdown Trains / Cranes ?

justin1985

I've just been catching up with GER Society Journals from 2020 over the last few evenings, and came across a short article by John Watling based around a wonderful photograph of a Great Eastern breakdown train at Brentwood goods yard in 1911. The photo shows a C32 (LNER F3) 2-4-2 suburban tank loco with the GER's home-brew 20t crane no. 5A, one runner wagon, one high sided open, and a tool/brake van.  The GER was apparently unique in building their own cranes, rather than buying from Ransomes etc. 

IMG_20210106_112352.jpg.ec97e49468c01fc84007823bfd9718ca.jpg

(I'm not sure about rules on posting the image here? Photo of magazine page only. Original photo is credited to the LCGB Nunn collection).

This got me thinking - first of all about whether or not I'd ever seen a breakdown train modelled in 2mm? I've searched the 2mm Magazine archive, and AGM competition galleries on the website and found nothing. I'm pretty sure I do remember seeing one modelled at one point though? Perhaps by @Caley Jim or the late Steve Sykes? I also have a vague feeling that @-missy- might also have shared some experiments with a crane? Looking at the MRJ index only seemed to bring up one reference also - a Portfolio page in the 1988 compendium showing a stunning P4 LBSCR breakdown train set scratch built by Charlie Trace.

I would have thought breakdown trains would have been more popular modelling subjects than this seems to suggest! Any pointers to examples or articles I've missed?

The train looks such an attractive ensemble that I can't deny feeling very tempted to make a stab at it with a combination of 3D printing and scratch building. I've already got the high sided open in the bag, at least! 

Justin

Edited by justin1985

The June 2020 issue of the 2mm Magazine has an article on converting the Osborn's 45t crane to 2FS. I have a recollection of one of Geoff Balfour's models being a crane, but that may have been of military origin given his interest in that area (edit - there was a photo in the December 2020 2mm Magazine, and it was of military origin).

Andy

Edited by 2mm Andy
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

I'm not doing a breakdown crane as such myself, but rather an engineering train based around a Cowans Sheldon 6.5/10t hand crane. I'm not sure whether the exGE area ever had any but they were fairly common around the UK. A few separate items which have just sort of come together over time and given the idea. I am currently trying to finish off 3 grampus wagons to add to the mix.

509685315_RMwebET01.jpg.6710078ce035318733c3fbf2210dbd22.jpg

I do think your idea of a GE area breakdown crane train would be somthing nice and different, it's good to do something that isn't so common isn't it. Look forward to seeing what you come up with given your success with 3D printing your GE wagons.

Bob

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I did get a white metal kit (Fleetline?) for a big Ransomes Rapier breakdown crane and started 2mm-ing it, the supporting wagons first. However, I found I was using so little of the kit, and that I would have to produce an etch for the jib to replace the solid white metal lump, so it has ended up at the bottom of the To-Do pile.

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Ian Morgan said:

I did get a white metal kit (Fleetline?) for a big Ransomes Rapier breakdown crane and started 2mm-ing it, the supporting wagons first. However, I found I was using so little of the kit, and that I would have to produce an etch for the jib to replace the solid white metal lump, so it has ended up at the bottom of the To-Do pile.

If it ever floats to the top again Ian I'd be very interested in the jib etch. The 45T Ransome & Rapier is also on my to-do list as they have the former Exmouth Junction crane on the Mid Hants. 

Tom.  

95077206_Fig3.jpg.2e4795aff679e8c930278f0fa4ba64ef.jpg

I have the makings of a breakdown train. Here is the modified Osborn's crane that featured in the article and in the background is an Ultima Breakdown Van and an AA1 six-wheeled TOAD, so I just need to add a couple of supporting wagons.

Duncan

• Like 8

Thanks for all the great inspiration!

I've been thinking about how I might model the GER train. So far its taken me about 2 evenings to draw up the tool / ballast brake van - almost finished. Just some detailing around the windows to do. I might leave the roof off and add from brass or something this time - I can imagine the open verandah with roof above causing problems for the printer!

Fusion-BallastBrake.jpg.e01f9d2911d7dbd82706a7ac56daad74.jpg

And this afternoon I made a start on designing the jib - which turned out to be really tricky! The only surviving diagram of this crane, a very simple outline type diagram. This shows the crane jib in cut-off format. Working out how to join up the geometry of the jib when extending it took me quite a while ...

Fusion-Jib.jpg.81b4b73f945b70b615fe396b324ae282.jpg

As discussed on the "Any Questions" thread, it looks like a pair of hidden bogies inside the outside frames might the best way to make the four-axle chassis work. Its certainly going to be an interesting thing to get running!

Justin

• Like 2

• 3 months later...