Where does our interest lie in the 2021 Hornby Range?

The Stationmaster

• RMweb Gold

The 4-wheelers have  caught my imagination. I earlier mentioned about the remodelling ability  that these will allow.  It pays to remember that outside of the larger railway concerns, companies such as Cravens, Gloucester and Metropolitan dominated the private carriage market. Research awaits! 

The old Rovex re-hash is a bit unexpected, but it had (has ) its merits. I can see the old Rovex track increasing in value as a result. I can see people rummaging in lofts, digging t out:- Upgrade your Playtrains today!

I'm a bit of an 'as & when' modeller. I didn't expect to buy a Peckett, but Efail Fach & Efail Fawr are stowed away, awaiting the call. I'm extremely loath to say " there's nothing here for me' because there is always next year, and anyway, tastes change. 

I'm saddened to see these sub-standard wagon models. Saddened because we all know that Hornby can achieve so much more.  I'd be very interested in seeing a sort of Playtrains Plus, to provide a bit of clarity  ( in this case, fidelity ) between the ranges.  Quality, as always, sells.

If I get the opportunity this year, it'll be a set of Western Suburban coaches.  I wouldn't expect to see any major Western releases, because we've had some good Hornby models in the past 2 years,  and you can't expect Hornby  to cover the  entire  range. 

To sum up, Hornby roll out a goodly amount of wares every year. Some will say yes, and some not. Alienating them serves no purpose at all.    Remember too, that Hornby won't know everything; it's down to us to lead the manufacturers to where these 'rich pickings ' exist.   

Cheers,

Ian.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

On 06/01/2021 at 14:25, The Stationmaster said:

While it is clearly not an indication of the wider market the sort of attention to each thread dedicated to various parts of the 2021 Hornby rangem,ight  illustrate of where interests  lie among us.  Obviously not an attempt at market research because the reason for interest in a particular announcement can be varied and not necessarily wholly positive.  So this is how it looks just ove 24 hours after the announcement went live.

Top of the poll are the new generic 4 and 6 wheeled coaches - with some very mixed reactions which no doubt has helped boost the numbers to 280 posts and 19.8k views.  The next nearest for views is diesel and electric locos with 7.2k views and, by a fairly slim margin, at 67 it also has the second highest number of posts.  But the overall 2021 steam range isn't far behind with 63 posts and 6.2k views.

It might not be illustrative of Hornby's love of the subject but 'big steam' doesn't seem to float the boat of many RMweb members.  At 61 posts the 9F is equal fourth with the new Maunsell coaches in number of posts and in a clear fourth place with 4.6k views.  But the new A1/A3 is well down the scale with only 23 posts and 2.1k views while the P2 is even worse at 18 posts and 2.0k views - there are only three items below it in terms of number of posts and only two below it in terms of number of views (and one could perhaps hardly expect the trainsets and new BCK to have done much better on RMweb than their lowly placing.  Also among the 'big steam' the new Hornby Dublo 2 rail doesn't score too well either with 36 posts (eighth from bottom) but a fairly respectable 2.8k of views which at least puts it ahead of HST Mk3 coaches with only 26 posts and 2.7k views and Playtrain which has 2.6k views but a far better 62 posts.

I won't bother with a full league table this early in the game but it's already fairly clear where RMweb member interests lie and LNER 'big steam' in particular hasn't really stirred much interest so far.  But HST/Mk3 coaches aren't particularly well placed either lagging quite a way behind the interest in Mk4s which have 57 posts and 3.5k views.  Will these numbers reflect in purchases - almost certainly not because the market is far wider than RMweb so I doubt they'll worry anyone at Hornby.

I haven't trawled the whole thread, Mike, so apologies if this has already been said.

But I don't think that your breakdown is either representative or fair. But only because it represents the thread topics as laid before us.

'Big steam' is fairly…generic, no pun, or otherwise, intended. But we also have specific threads on the 9F, A1/A3, P2 etc., which add to the general steam enthusiasm but split the vote. So I'm not sure what's achieved.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
On 07/01/2021 at 07:21, Enterprisingwestern said:

Where does our interest lie in the 2021 Hornby Range?

The staples holding the catalogue together for me, could probably make some lamp irons from them.

Mike.

You may be out of luck there. The Catalogue hasn’t been stapled for years.

• Like 2
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
On 06/01/2021 at 13:25, The Stationmaster said:

While it is clearly not an indication of the wider market the sort of attention to each thread dedicated to various parts of the 2021 Hornby rangem,ight  illustrate of where interests  lie among us.  Obviously not an attempt at market research because the reason for interest in a particular announcement can be varied and not necessarily wholly positive.  So this is how it looks just ove 24 hours after the announcement went live.

You’ve made me hesitate on reading some of the threads just to see what’s being said, in case it’s taken as interest in the subject matter...

• Funny 2

• RMweb Gold

My main Hornby interest this year is concentrated on the BR(s) RCO (×2) and GLV (also x2, maybe 3). Plus a crimson/cream RK.

Loco-wise, I really like the look of the NCB blue Peckett B2 and I have two or three pre-orders outstanding from last year. Still waiting for air-smoothed MNs in 1957-9 condition unless I can pick one up cheaply to work over.

My loss is the LNER fans gain, though and 2022 (or Bachmann's announcements) will hopefully bring something with a motor in for me!

Can't really see me wanting a 9F unless it turns out to be significantly better than my three Bachmann examples. I'd have thought those and Hornby's Railroad ones already had that market pretty well covered between them.

Oh, yes, the Tri-ang / Pedigree Conflat, but really only for the container!

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 2

BR IC Mk4s and DVT are the highlights for me. I'll definitely be getting some to go with the newly tooled Class 91.

Will also pick up some Mk3 sleepers.

Other things I like the look of but less certain to buy:

BR IC Ex Class 87

BR Blue Class 56

Also like the Midland Pullman and "Farewell" HST sets but don't really fit with my era.

Oh, and maybe a P2 for (fictional) railtours.

• Like 1

I'm interested in it all. Even stuff I don't want. It's still interesting....  :D

Still plenty from last year to come yet so I'm not going mad pre-ordering things this year. That's quite a few hundred pounds worth, including a Coronation Scot set.

I'll get the GWR Terrier pack. But mostly the interest has been in the SR coaches and van for my planned SR layout, Ruston diesel and Clans.  Possibly another Sentinel or Peckett.

Jason

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Thank heaven for the Mk3 sleepers,   I can't see anything else in there I would consider worth buying.    May be Hornby could make non powered locos for the collector market so we could push them along and see the valve gear working.

• Like 1

In terms of purchasing, there is nothing in the 2021 range for me, even in OO I would be looking at small GW locos and I've enough Panniers, 14xx and 45xx locos for a small branch which generally come in a blue box.  The Southern locos I am left with are more than enough and about half of them are Hornby.

Do I expect lots more Southern and GW stuff from H, probably not, they did a good job a few years back producing lots of LSWR stuff and there are plenty of other bits of the country crying out for models.

The masses of 47s in anticipation of the new Heljan model plus Bachmanns own offering is not a surprise, nor are the HAAs - good to see a return of blue and large logo 56s to pull them.  The Mk4s are not a surprise either and the Midland Pullman HST is going to please anyone buying for a modern railway to run alongside their new Mk5s, 68s and 800s.

LNER continues to be the main big loco development area for Hornby, are there any Gresley coaches missing, I do wonder if 2022 will see some coaching stock to go alongside the A1s, A2s, A3s, P2 and W1s that people will be buying this year and next.  The A4 is a gap, is there actually an A4 in the catalogue this year?

All in all the announcements looked sound, nothing wrong with the 4 and 6 wheelers coming out, it's an open market after all.  I think Hornby will have another good year with a spread from young childrens toy market up to people who want a lovely model of a W1.  I am pleased they are doing well and remain ambitious, the other companies may produce lovely models but really it is only Hornby who have the wide spread of model types, age groups and brand name that everyone knows, we need Hornby to continue as they are doing, it is good for the hobby.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

The A4 is a gap, is there actually an A4 in the catalogue this year?

None last year either IIRC.  I think you may have identified next year's re-tool.

• Like 1

A4s?

Last year and still available.

60022 Mallard in BR Blue

60028 Walter K Whigham in BR Purple

4498 SNG in LNER Blue in the train set

The twin tender Bittern wasn't long ago either.

There is also a Railroad version of Mallard, normal and with TTS Sound.

Expect a new one at some point seeing as the A1/A3 has a new chassis. It must be getting on for being about 20 years old. 

Jason

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

A4s?

60022 Mallard in BR Blue

Expect a new one at some point seeing as the A1/A3 has a new chassis. It must be getting on for being about 20 years old. 

Jason

Who said anything about a new chassis? This years slight retooling extends to a new die cast footplate and flickering firebox. Nothing more. The A3 is 15 years old. Not sure how they could increase the weight of the A4 without adding more mass to the chassis block. There isn’t a running board or anything, this alone makes me think the A4 will be next years addition to the Dublo range. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 4

With Bachmann and Hornby funnelling their versions of the 9F to the same market, I was hoping Hornby would spend a bit extra and include  the rebuilt Crosti 9F ( actually an 8F) to the retooled 2021  9F s, it would be a unique selling point for Hornby  inevitably there will be a retailers  discount price war. I recall the price war when Bachmann released their 9F,  Hornby were selling the very agreeable  Chinese loco drive Evening Star for £49.95 at Signal Box Rochester, I can only conclude it was a below-cost loss leader promotion to spike sales of the Bachmann product. Does anyone else agree?

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

A4s?

60022 Mallard in BR Blue

Jason

TBH, with all the new LNER stuff that's never been done before, I'd think Hornby are probably expecting a fairly slack year for the locos that have been available for ever. 

I doubt they had much choice over retooling the A3, going on the number of wonky ones that seemed to be coming out of the old tooling. If that many were getting through to customers, how many more were getting binned in the factory?

There'll be loads of the new, straight, A3s to shift through this year and next, so maybe we shouldn't expect a new A4 until 2022/3.

John 

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Pandora said:

With Bachmann and Hornby funnelling their versions of the 9F to the same market, I was hoping Hornby would spend a bit extra and include  the rebuilt Crosti 9F ( actually an 8F) to the retooled 2021  9F s, it would be a unique selling point for Hornby  inevitably there will be a retailers  discount price war. I recall the price war when Bachmann released their 9F,  Hornby were selling the very agreeable  Chinese loco drive Evening Star for £49.95 at Signal Box Rochester, I can only conclude it was a below-cost loss leader promotion to spike sales of the Bachmann product. Does anyone else agree?

Yes. Didn't work on me though. I was so delighted with my first Bachmann 9F that I bought two more, including Evening Star. 

Some years on they are still up there with most of the new stuff on detail and the only locos I have that compare for haulage are Hornby rebuilt West Countries.

I'd have jumped at a "de-crostied" Crosti, even on the semi-Railroad base, but the new Hornby one will have to be very special indeed to tempt me.

John

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Pandora said:

Yes, and with Bachmann's tooling having long-since covered its costs, might the boot  be on the other foot this time?

John

• Like 1

Shunter 20 looks rather nice, although despite passing through Reading from 1972 onwards, not to mention having worked there for over 3 years, I have no record or memory of actually seeing it ! It does occur to me however, has there ever been a more geographically-limited model ? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, caradoc said:

Shunter 20 looks rather nice, although despite passing through Reading from 1972 onwards, not to mention having worked there for over 3 years, I have no record or memory of actually seeing it ! It does occur to me however, has there ever been a more geographically-limited model ? 

Probably not,  to "cop" RS Works 20 you had to know where to look as your train passed through Reading.

The other Rustons were also orphans, the Ian Allan books were not quite right in their allocation details, many spotters had little idea as to their existence,  my memory is one of the Rustons attempting to shunt a dead (stored/preserved ) A4 in York Roundhouse,  the A4 won the tug of war! 

Edited by Pandora
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Hilux5972 said:

Who said anything about a new chassis? This years slight retooling extends to a new die cast footplate and flickering firebox. Nothing more. The A3 is 15 years old. Not sure how they could increase the weight of the A4 without adding more mass to the chassis block. There isn’t a running board or anything, this alone makes me think the A4 will be next years addition to the Dublo range. 

The A1 and A3 does say new tooling. Not "slight retooling".

They will be daft not to make a new A4 up to the same standards.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

The A1 and A3 does say new tooling. Not "slight retooling".

In this month's (Feb 2020) Hornby Magazine the only change mentioned is a new diecast footplate "to improve the tractive effort" - oh and adding the current favourite steam loco gimmick / essential detail "firebox flicker"

Edited by spamcan61
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1