PECO PL-1005 microswitch

trainspotter1948

As I am a complete novice with electrics.  I have to try the wiring out on a test bed with diagrams before committing to doing whatever on the layout. To learn how to do the electrics on my new DCC layout, I have built a simple test track with an electrofrog point which worked well with a SEEP motor and I managed to successfully switch polarity and get a loco running back and forth. Whooppee!

I was then faced with setting up 16 turnouts with SEEP motors that I had previously used on a non DCC layout.  I cleaned off the old solder and scavenged the wiring but with further thoughts of crawling around on the floor to fit them all, I chickened out and persuaded my wife to buy me some PL-1000 motors with switches for Xmas.

Trying out the first one on my test track, I fitted the motor very quickly and turned my attention to the microswitch which has 6 terminals and a diagram that just doesn't make sense to me.

The instructions would indicate that I have to "attach wires to the terminals." It doesn't say what wires to what terminal and where are the other ends of these wires going?

I have just looked at the PECO video and there is no indication of any wiring - just click into place. It can't be that simple as there needs to be a wire from the frog joining onto something.

A Google search does not reveal a more helpful diagram from someone who has already cracked it. There are no obvious electrical contacts between the motor and the switch, so how is the polarity switched? Can someone advise me please - I can't lose face with my wife as I the persuasion to buy was based on how simple it all would be. TIA

image.png

I have drawn how I think it works. Obviously it doesn't matter which switch is used for which function. I haven't drawn it but for the pedantic there should be a dotted line linking the levers to show they are mechanically 'tied'. ie work together. I have drawn in LEDs assuming the second pole of the switch would be used for indication.

Frog switching.png

The drawing supplied above isn't quite correct according to the Railway Modeller article February 2020 page 158.  Cliff has the microswitch pin numbers shown incorrect. 

The Common tabs are 1 & 4 using his drawing numbering. Therefore 1 goes to Frog  2 & 3 to the rails. While  4  has the power supply +ve and 5 & 6 to the LEDs Anodes. 

Looking at the microswitch image it appears pins 1 and 4 are slightly further way from 2&4 and 5&6.

Switching.jpg.f0cf6f3fa2cd586e4192cd2aa724c978.jpg

Edited by Brian
Drawing added

Gentlemen, thanks for you help.

I cracked it this morning - it was quite straightforward when I sat with the bits and the wires with my test bed. I confess to a bit of a panic when I first opened the box, but when I used Cliff's diagram and compared it to the switch, the only issue was which terminal was the frog. I was correct in my last guess, only one set of terminals is used for frog switching - the other must be for something else related like a signal.

I got really mixed up and confused with the power supply and of course the power polarity to be switched comes from the rails above and not the power to the solenoid which in my case is a separate supply to the power to the rails.

Really happy now I can get on and start to get the track bedded down and fitting the solenoids. I can't run any trains until all the points are wired as they are all electrofrog.

Thanks once again