Loch Doune - a micro based on Loch Tay

JohnR

• RMweb Gold

The Really Useful box for my new layout project has arrived. "Loch Doune'" will be a micro Layout, loosely based on Loch Tay on the Killin branch.

Loch Doune is at the end of a short branch from Bridge of Doune station on one of those picturesque lines in the Highlands of Scotland. Trains are usually just one coach, with the occasional van added for fish traffic. I have a Standard 4MT which will find a home here, but I might be tempted to acquire a green 26 too. Points will be electrofrog (my first layout with these - eek!).

This isn't the final plan - might see if I can squeeze in a small radius RH point at this end of the loop to create another siding.

I had in my head having one of Hornby's fish wagons, but on checking I was surprised to see that they wernt 'Fyne Fish' from the loch of the same name but just regular 'Fine Fish'! 

Hope to build the baseboard this weekend, so subscribe to my YouTube channel to get notified of new updates as they happen, I'll post some pics here too. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCf3DxRHx6epFfXdlPdD-QgA

PXL_20210106_144413966.jpg

Edited by JohnR
  • Like 3

• JohnR changed the title to Loch Doune - a micro based on Loch Tay
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Spent a pleasant afternoon turning the Hornby platform shelter into something a bit more suitable.

It's surprising how much difference a lick of paint can make!

PXL_20210318_172548882.jpg

PXL_20210318_172501695.jpg

PXL_20210318_172511784.jpg

Edited by JohnR
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Here is an update on the latest work on Loch Doune, my Micro Layout built in a Christmas Tree Box. I show how I made platforms cheaply and easily, how I turned a Hornby station building into a prototypical Scottish halt, and discuss Backscenes as well as the next steps. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_6amDTp8Eg&ab_channel=MessingaboutwithModels

Having visited Loch Tay about 6 years ago and booked a holiday to visit again next year I'm excited to see this layout develop! Even with modern traction, watching the railway snaking through the valleys and along side the streams and hills was always impressive and a sight I've always wanted to model!

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Gold

A few pictures to show off Loch Doune - its off to the Cupar Exhibition (in Fife, Scotland) at the end of the month (Saturday 23rd and Sunday 25th July), but I'd really appreciate it if someone could help me operate it as I will be on my own. If you were planning to come along any, that would be really great. If you've seen my other thread about advice for a first time exhibitor, you'll have seen the post from Phil Parker about having a second operator.

Its fairly small, so nothing complicated about the operation, with usually only one engine in the station at a time, DCC operated (using an NCE PowerCab), and tension lock couplings. 

If anyone thinks they can help (even if only for part of the day) then please let me know. 

Loch Doune is a OO gauge 'micro layout' designed to fit into a 'Really Useful' box. It is set somewhere in the Highlands of Scotland in the 1960s and 70s, with a track plan based on Loch Tay on the Killin branch. It is DCC operated, and several locos used are sound fitted.

Passenger traffic is a single coach train (replaced by a DMU in the 1970s), while freight is comprised of fish from the Loch, and coal for the boats as well as grain and coal for the (off scene) distillery. Cement arrives bagged in trains of vans, for use in construction of a nearby hydro-electric scheme. In the 1970s, the coal has been replaced by oil, and various diesel locos of classes 26, 27 and 37, seen across the Highlands of Scotland replace the steam locos.

The layout was started during the Covid lockdown, hence the name, and while there is no specific history, it is imagined that locos of both Caledonian and North British origin appear in BR days on the line. The baseboard is from Scale Model Scenery and is of laser-cut MDF. The scenic area measures 1.1m x 0.225m with a fiddle yard 0.9m long and shows that no matter how little space you might have, anyone can have a model railway.

IMG_20220606_152002.jpg

IMG_20220606_153110.jpg

IMG_20220606_153538.jpg

Loch Doune.jpg

• Like 5

• JohnR changed the title to Loch Doune - a micro based on Loch Tay - Operator Needed!
  • JohnR changed the title to Loch Doune - a micro based on Loch Tay
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Just discovered this cracking layout and exactly the sort of layout I’m looking to build. It looks like a fun layout to operate with a decent mixed traffic timetable. There’s something fascinating about single coach services too! 

Two quick questions if I may, do you have an image of the any rail track plan you could share with the peco parts numbers please? (It might have been the 1st pic on the thread but it’s disappeared). Secondly, how long is the fiddle yard? 

Thanks in advance.

• RMweb Gold
On 28/01/2023 at 21:09, RateTheFreight said:

Just discovered this cracking layout and exactly the sort of layout I’m looking to build. It looks like a fun layout to operate with a decent mixed traffic timetable. There’s something fascinating about single coach services too! 

Two quick questions if I may, do you have an image of the any rail track plan you could share with the peco parts numbers please? (It might have been the 1st pic on the thread but it’s disappeared). Secondly, how long is the fiddle yard? 

Thanks in advance.

Thanks for that - the fiddle yard if 0.9m long - it could have been any length, and to be honest might have been better a little longer, but equally no reason why it couldnt have been shorter. I had a Peco 3-way point lying around, hence why I used that - a Y or left/right point would have been just as good. 

Here is an AnyRail image with the part numbers for you. 

Loch Doune3c.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1