Drum Roll - newsletter tease

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, Covkid said:

The wagons I was thinking of were the Trailer Train units with their rubber tyres. IIRC they use to pass on a Mossend-Wembley class 4 which detached them at Rugby.  I think this was in Transrail days before EWS took over. Again, I think there were 4 wagons and they were owned by an American company - Trailer Train may have been a brand.

I think the wagons had a centre spine and the specially constructed trailers were loaded onto the railway vehices wit hthe road wheels still attached. 

Wasn't aware of that. Think I've found a link to some blurb about the proposal. Babcock/Transrail/Thrall were the partners. https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://railwaymatters.files.wordpress.com/2018/07/a-new-face-for-rail-freight-in-britain.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwjY-o24sZHuAhXExYUKHU1gCrYQFjABegQIBhAB&usg=AOvVaw2mTQ0HexYSqFPEYNojyEf9&cshid=1610282610557

14 hours ago, Covkid said:

The wagons I was thinking of were the Trailer Train units with their rubber tyres. IIRC they use to pass on a Mossend-Wembley class 4 which detached them at Rugby.  I think this was in Transrail days before EWS took over. Again, I think there were 4 wagons and they were owned by an American company - Trailer Train may have been a brand.

I think the wagons had a centre spine and the specially constructed trailers were loaded onto the railway vehices wit hthe road wheels still attached. 

There were two separate concepts.

Trailer-Train was a road-railer where the lorry trailers were coupled together to form a train. They ran between the Aberdeen area and Southern England with paper traffic.

The spine wagons were four-wagon sets, which could carry ISO boxes, or specially-designed road-trailers, which had to be lifted on and off. They worked a regular service for Parcelforce from Mossend to Willesden.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, Fat Controller said:

Trailer-Train was a road-railer where the lorry trailers were coupled together to form a train. They ran between the Aberdeen area and Southern England with paper traffic.

The spine wagons were four-wagon sets, which could carry ISO boxes, or specially-designed road-trailers, which had to be lifted on and off. They worked a regular service for Parcelforce from Mossend to Willesden.

There was another piggyback concept used by Charterail for their Pedigree Petfoods contracts which was based initially on loading trailers via a swinging side ramp. 

• RMweb Gold
On 08/01/2021 at 12:05, rembrow said:

Unlikely I know, but would love a BR Anhydrite wagon, another wagon operated in multiple in a single load flow and route for much of their lives, but used more widely in their later lives. But based on other Accurascale wagons, this would encourage multiple sets.

If all else fails you could always break the soldering iron out and beat a path to McGeordies door!

Mike.

8 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

Whichever kit exists in the largest numbers, unbuilt, in everyone's 'stashes'.

If it were me, I'd opt for a Herring or two.

Funnily enough my stash of five Cambrian Herring have recently surfaced - ideal for a Winter lockdown week !!!

4 hours ago, Fat Controller said:

Thanks.  

It was the latter I was thinking of. Was there another customer before Parcelforce though ?  Not sure if it was a regular problem but I recall a spate of C&W callouts to this train at Bescot for brake issues. 

Fabulous concept but the engineering has to be right, and worst of all competing against ultra low cost European truckers on motorways.  

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Fat Controller said:

There were also some single wagons Babcock Mega-3 coded KAA (although it may have been a prototype)

Used with Blue Circle road trailers amongst others.

(If it wasn't alone) The last one to remain in the UK (NR96801) was used internally at the Derby RTC site, but was recorded as being moved to Barrow Hill in late 2016.

Genesis did a kit for one in 00.

• RMweb Gold
On 09/01/2021 at 13:40, richscylla said:

This logic is pie in the sky though. No one knows if Accurascale are doing HAAs for sure. And certainly no-one knows the price. I'm not saying that they won't announce them or the price won't be the same as some of Accurascale's wagons but at the moment how can anyone say?

Hi @richscylla

I think it's quite clear. Perhaps you missed this post?

Great guesses everyone, but nobody has predicted correctly yet. Maybe we should be worried lol. However, you will all find out tomorrow!

Cheers!

Fran

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Great guesses everyone, but nobody has predicted correctly yet. Maybe we should be worried lol. However, you will all find out tomorrow!

Cheers!

Fran

Can I be the first to say "nothing in it for me"?

• Agree 1
  • Funny 9

10 minutes ago, newbryford said:

Don't think this has been mentioned before.

To complement the PFA/KUA.

The newer WH Davis FNA-D

Very good shout (and one I am amazed I didn't say actually as I have suggested that to AS on here and Facebook before).

Given what the Bachmann ones are like on eBay those would do very well I think.

I'd certainly have a few I think.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Covkid said:

Thanks.  

It was the latter I was thinking of. Was there another customer before Parcelforce though ?  Not sure if it was a regular problem but I recall a spate of C&W callouts to this train at Bescot for brake issues. 

Fabulous concept but the engineering has to be right, and worst of all competing against ultra low cost European truckers on motorways.  

IIRC the challenge with these were 2 fold:

~The UK loading gauge

~The need to have swap body road trailers (heavier & more expensive than pure road).

For box bodies, this meant lower capacity than a pure road trailer would hold which for general logistics is a problem.

For liquids though, it posed less of an issue and no loss of capacity and there were trials with tankers of Milk from the West Country.

Its a shame they didn't succeed. IIRC EWS built a lot of the spine wagons which mostly stayed in store and never ran.