Blue Grey Mk1 CK with Network SouthEast flash - help please tracking down prototype image

andyman7

I have a spare weathered Blue Grey Bachmann Mk1 CK that I'd like to renumber to one used by the NSE sector, with the NSE branding flash applied over the blue/grey livery. I need help picking a suitable vehicle - ideally one with BR1 bogies still fitted and even better if it retained inside window frames but I'm not sure if they were still around by 1986/87. I anyone able to help with images or links? I've tried a whole host of searches but this one is proving a bit esoteric......

Thanks in advance

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, brushman47544 said:

I have strong recollection of CK 7153 operating NSE services out of Paddington with the NSE branding on its blue/grey livery but I can't immediately find any photos.

Yes, 7153 was an ex-Euston coach, used on Northampton Cobbler services. I don't have any photos, but I know from memory that from 86-7 on, most blue & grey mk1' s on those services had NSE flashes.

• RMweb Gold

That said, I have no photos of 7153, and the only photo I have showing what looks like a CK in a Cobbler rake is this one:-

85028_Ledburn_1B06_02071987

The first 2 vehicles are look like TSO's, the third coach looks like a CK, but I can't confirm whether it is, and as you can see, there is no sign of an NSE flash on this side. If it is a CK, then this is the compartment side.

Edited by rodent279
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, keefer said:

NSE branded mk1s at Wolverhampton here:

http://www.railscans.co.uk/mk1ch.htm

Has M7172 with branding but on CW bogies.

These coaches were based at Euston and were for the Euston-Northampton 'Cobbler' commuter services

That's a marvellous collection of photos - thanks for posting the link.

Going slightly OT - I notice that every single carriage had window frames.  I believe most Mk1s were retro fitted with frames from the mid 60s due to corrosion.  I wish Bachmann would do a small retool to cater for blue/grey and latter liveries - after all most Mk1s would have spent well over half their lives with frames. AFAIK there are no after market etches for these coaches.