Old track-much use or value?

• RMweb Gold

I have some old Triang track, with bullhead rails and integral grey moulded sleepers and ballast, also some very similar track with black plastic sleepers but no ballast. I think it's code 100 rail. Is there mush use for this? Is it of any value?

Cheers N

I've resolved that issue with my next layout in the new house (if & when it ever gets finished).  It will include a Railway Heritage Museum. With two sidings at the back, using the old Triang track, for a static display of the oldest Triang Hornby locos my Dad bought for me (only 60 years ago).

The Heritage Museum is also a Rule One excuse to mix whatever "visiting" locos and rolling stock I damn well please. ;)

1 hour ago, rodent279 said:

I have some old Triang track, with bullhead rails and integral grey moulded sleepers and ballast, also some very similar track with black plastic sleepers but no ballast. I think it's code 100 rail. Is there mush use for this? Is it of any value?

Cheers N

Code 100 is what Hornby use now. the old Triang tracks, standard, series 3 and Super 4 used a larger rail section.

Hi Rodent.

You might want to give Silverfox17 a message in the collectable/vintage section of this site. He is putting together a layout using that style of track an probably would take the track of your hands.

Edited by cypherman
  • Agree 1

Tri-ang track is about code 150 (155 IIRC) to accommodate the then current coarse wheels. The grey track is either acetate plastic and inevitably warped and hence almost worthless. Later track is polystyrene and worth a bit more. Broken bases and/or rusty rail will negate this, however.

Edited by Il Grifone

• RMweb Gold

Value is subjective and it depends on whether you consider £50 to be a lot of money or pocket change.

I sold around 100 pieces of Triang Super 4 track (points, curves, straights etc) last year for £70.00 on Ebay so I guess it depends on how much you have, what condition its in, how you package the advert and essentially, how many people want to bid and/or what they are willing to pay.