Gort workbench

NoelG

Started work on Gort signal box

IMG_8977.jpg

The drawings are slightly at odds with the actual real building, but the dimensions seem spot on.

IMG_8984.jpg

One small step at a time. Enjoying this step by step process. Waiting for Glue'n'Glaze to dry now

IMG_8989.jpg

• Like 2

While waiting for glue and paint to set on other items. Made a start to the facade of Gort station ticket office building. The window surrounds will be tricky to fabricate. Guessed the dimensions as I could not find any half decent photos of this building from this angle (ie perpendicular elevation from track side). The ceilings on the RHS should be about 8ft and 10ft for the centrals section. Another micro project to chug away at.

IMG_9060.jpg

• Like 1

Juggling 3 micro projects. Taking a break from the signal box for a while. Time to progress Gort's iconic water tower. I had to guess dimensions as no access to drawings nor a photo that gave a good visual reference against other objects. But it kind of feels the right size.

IMG_9070.jpg

I made up the water tank last night

IMG_9065.jpg

• Like 4

More progress. This is such a small building in real life, but having three distinctive sections has made it challenging.

Front of building from track side

IMG_9310.jpg

Rear of building from road side.

IMG_9309.jpg

Getting the hipped roof done was a challenge, learning new tricks all the time on the go.

IMG_9308.jpg

Phew - it fits on the platform I made a year ago.

IMG_9314.jpg

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Main structure of the buildings complete. Just detailing, glazing and painting left.

IMG_9317.jpg

Gort_Station_building_Leslie.jpg

Front elevation from track side 

IMG_9319.jpg

Rear elevation from car park and road side

IMG_9320.jpg

The carved stone detailing on the window surrounds was hard on the eyes and fingers. But glad I persevered with it.

IMG_9321.jpg

• Like 1

Started painting these buildings

IMG_9333.jpg

Tried a few mixes for the roof slates before I was happy with the shade. Its so quick and easy to mix paint on the fly in the air brush cup.

IMG_9334.jpg

Goods shed is now ready for the doors, gutters and glazing

IMG_9335.jpg

• Like 5

1 hour ago, jhb171achil said:

Really enjoying watching this develop - absolutely superb.

Thank you, I'm glad you are, it was you after all who inspired this project. Its been a dream of mine ever since I read your book and saw those photos of Gort in the 60s/70s as I remember it from childhood through the hazy memory of time, but the book brought it back into sharp focus.

• Like 2