Gort workbench

NoelG

Gort goods shed nearly finished, skylight windows in, gutters, doors, just downpipes left and some gentle weathering done today. Will have to have another look at it tomorrow in natural daylight before adjusting. But its getting near the end.

IMG_9575.jpg

Water tower got a little aging done

IMG_9579.jpg

Now back to the station ticket office building before starting the south east platform shelter.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Patrick Davey said:

A masterclass in the art of constructing railway buildings.

Patrick, You are very kind with your comments, but I consider myself a relative novice and newbie to scratch building with much to learn, but its such fun doing the journey. I'm just slow and methodical, but hopefully will get these set of buildings complete in the end.

• Like 1

Few more pics. Got the guttering and down pipes done. Used a ratio guttering kit. Now just need a fews sacks of produce and a few wooden barrels outside. No pallets in this era, no fork lift trucks. This was before modern era, bogies and containers. All manually loaded produce in the CIE golden era.

IMG_9583.jpg

The ratio guttering accessory kit was handy, saved me forming realistic gutters from heated plastic strips. A bit of fiddling here to figuratively ensure water would flow downhill from the overhang into the main roof down pipe. Will have to put drain traps on the ground below these.

IMG_9580.jpg

Overall pleased to have a unique scale model of a real building as it was back around 1970. The basic structure of this building still exists but its all boarded up now.

IMG_9582.jpg

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

9 minutes ago, kirley said:

The drain pipes and guttering really set it off, well done Noel, worth all your time and effort.

Cheers Kieran. Just a little moss and green mould to put on the base of the walls once the building is in situe on the layout

• Like 1

Platforms under construction. Gort's platforms had edging stone, but no over hang nor recess, just a right angle vertical side to platforms from rough stone. This will be the goods yard platform, loading dock and cattle dock. Cattle pen to be constructed shortly.

IMG_9608.jpg

Platform structure starts with Peco platform edging kits, plastic card sheets bought from graphic design art suppliers, and faced with greenstuffworld smooth stone embossed card as well as being packed out to the edge of the platform. MHO Peco platform edge kits are the easiest and most accurate way to make model platforms at correct height and without meandering edges.

IMG_9610.jpg

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Robert Shrives said:

Good looking work , I guess at some point the "lovely" task of ballasting will have to undertaken - possibly easier now platforms are finished. 

Robert 

Yes Robert ballasting will probably be the very last thing done. Will need to use grease proof paper to isolate platform edges while ballasting so that they remain removable afterwards using magnets.

• Craftsmanship/clever 1

1 hour ago, jhb171achil said:

The light weathering on the loco looks MOST realistic.

Thanks Jonathan, I subscribe to the notion less is more. I was never a fan of weathering locos to the extent they looked like scrape line rusting hulks. In the 1960s the locos were kept in reasonable condition, it was only the 1990s diesel locos were allowed to get into a state.  The 141/181 and 071s didn't lend themselves to the washing plant due to the walkways between cabs, whereas the A class and 201 class with their smoother curved profile did.

I went a little grimier on this Super Train. No 182 was my first every Murphy Model loco and was responsible for rekindling my interest in this hobby. Bought it at the Fry museum at Malahide Castle back in 2007 or 2008. (I accidentally broke the lamp irons when taking the cab off)

IMG_0013.jpg

• Like 3

On 10/03/2021 at 11:26, Robert Shrives said:

Good looking work , I guess at some point the "lovely" task of ballasting will have to undertaken - possibly easier now platforms are finished. 

Robert 

Thanks Robert, yes but ballasting may be one of the very last things to get done. Lots of other stuff still to do like get the point motors wired up and working, a lot of telegraph poles for the station area, scenic landscaping, etc. But it will be ready when its ready. At the moment just designing the possible loop extension so that instead of being 10ft x 2ft in size it could end up 15ft x 4ft in size with a loop running behind the back scene and a fiddle yard. But I need to get this 10ft x 2ft section finished first.

• Informative/Useful 1

• 4 months later...

I needed a line side hut on Gort. Temporarily I used an old airfix shed that was part of their loco shed kit, but its time to make Gort's own a plate layers line side hut.

1) make a kit

IMG_1827.JPG

2. Assemble it

IMG_1829.JPG

3.Prime it ready for decoration

IMG_1831.JPG

4. Test fit it in situ before decoration and weathering

IMG_1830.JPG

The corrugates roof will have to be somewhat rusted.

These endless little tasks needed to add some character to Gort Model railway.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Patrick Davey said:

This really is a superb project Noel - well done!  My own creative mojo has left me for the moment so I might drool at your pics here and hope it comes back!

Thank you Patrick, your very kind. It happens to me regularly, switched off for weeks at a time, then convince myself to just do 10mins and sometimes that can be the trigger to making some progress. This is new territory for me so loving the learning experience, testing, experimenting and probing what's possible. Getting the sequencing right tripped me up and few times and I've had to learn to take it easy, one brick at a time.

New Lineside hut weathered with a little moss growing up the sides

IMG_1846.JPG

Now to spend some more time on the Ennis board end, station yard and car park, etc, as it would have been around 1970ish.

• Like 5