Passing contact switch control for Dapol signals

angus1

This has probably been discussed before but I am a new member.

I want to, (can I use), a Peco passing contact switch to activate a Dapol GWR home signal. In the new installation instructions it shows a switch diagram with the two switch wires appearing to go to one of the outer contacts and the centre common contact, leaving the other outer contact not connected. Is this correct or is it wired differently?  I want to use a pc switch to match the point switches on  my mimic diagram. Should I just use a push to make?

1 hour ago, angus1 said:

This has probably been discussed before but I am a new member.

I want to, (can I use), a Peco passing contact switch to activate a Dapol GWR home signal. In the new installation instructions it shows a switch diagram with the two switch wires appearing to go to one of the outer contacts and the centre common contact, leaving the other outer contact not connected. Is this correct or is it wired differently?  I want to use a pc switch to match the point switches on  my mimic diagram. Should I just use a push to make?

What is a 'pc' switch?

The diagram is correct as long as you don't use a Peco passing contact switch - the wiring for a Peco switch is sightly different.

Here is a drawing for both Peco PL26 and Hornby R044 Black lever.

I haven't shown the two power wires for the signal for drawing clarity.

851869767_Dapolsignalwithpassingcontact-1.jpg.012e72f93892a02c98bd063101337a85.jpg

Edited by Brian
Drawing corrected

Correct re ink wire on the Hornby R044 lever   It should have not been shown!  Just the Yellow wire in either narrow sides port and the middle hole for the other yellow wire .  Drawing above amended. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

I am about to fit 3 Dapol motorised signals to my GWR EM layout but their wiring system doesn’t suit my method of operation. All of my points are operated via DPDT toggle switches so that the position of the toggle always shows the direction of the route chosen and I would like to operate the signals the same way. So, I don’t want to use Push buttons or sliding contact switches where the toggle springs back to centre off. Neither indicates the position of the signal after firing it.

I also do not want switches like the Peco and Hornby ones as they aren’t practical with my control panel.

My first thought was to use a standard toggle switch together with a push button so that you could set the position of the signal with the toggle switch and then fire it with the push button. The only problem with that is that if the push button is accidentally pushed for a second time it will operate the signal again and you finish up with the signal and toggle switch set in opposite directions.

My current thought is to see if I can find toggle switches that have a sliding contact each way but stay in their designated position after firing the signal motor. That way I get the best of both worlds and don’t have to worry about push buttons.

Any thoughts anyone?

Regards Mike

Is adding some electronics acceptable ?  

If so, pretty simple stuff.   
For those going from the bottom, various circuits offer a single pulse output from a few components (my antique book on 555 timer circuits will have something).   

Or if into newer digital electronics, then its pretty simple Arduino stuff - taking the normal change-over switch as inputs, and generating a pulse on the output to a transistor (or similar) and that transistor briefly grounds the Dapol signal, thus changing its aspect.   One Arduino (Nano or Uno) has more than enough inputs/outputs to cover three signals and their switches.  

- Nigel

You can get 3-position double pole ON-ON-ON type toggle switches which can be wired to create a pulse each time the switch passes through the central position. This is the best hope you have of achieving what you desire. 

17 hours ago, roythebus1 said:

Try a DP spring loaded centre off switch and wire a 2 colour LED on the 2nd set of contact. That will show a red or green light when the signal operates.

Won't the LED go off when the switch reverts to centre/off?

15 hours ago, Nigelcliffe said:

For those going from the bottom, various circuits offer a single pulse output from a few components (my antique book on 555 timer circuits will have something).   

Or if into newer digital electronics, then its pretty simple Arduino stuff - taking the normal change-over switch as inputs, and generating a pulse on the output to a transistor (or similar) and that transistor briefly grounds the Dapol signal, thus changing its aspect.   One Arduino (Nano or Uno) has more than enough inputs/outputs to cover three signals and their switches.  

I'm no electronics expert but I do have friends who are so I'll pass that idea past them and see if they can help me.

Regards Mike

7 hours ago, Suzie said:

You can get 3-position double pole ON-ON-ON type toggle switches which can be wired to create a pulse each time the switch passes through the central position. This is the best hope you have of achieving what you desire. 

I've not heard of those before. Do you know where you can get them?

I thought the Dapol signals were push to make to select, then push again to select the other way. They are not directionally controllable, just sequential, i.e. next, next, next.

Oh, how to wire these switches. It is quite easy, link the two centre contacts, then connect the two Yellow wires to the outer terminals which are linked when the switch is in the middle position.

Every time the switch passes through the middle position the signal will move, and the position that the switch ends up should correspond with the signal position.

If you need to resync just move the switch to the middle position and back again.

As is always the case with these Dapol signals the solution is never completely ideal, but that is squarely the fault of Dapol.

23 hours ago, RAF96 said:

I thought the Dapol signals were push to make to select, then push again to select the other way. They are not directionally controllable, just sequential, i.e. next, next, next.

But that doesn't leave any indication of the signal position and that's what I'm trying to avoid!

On 09/04/2021 at 15:16, Suzie said:

Oh, how to wire these switches. It is quite easy, link the two centre contacts, then connect the two Yellow wires to the outer terminals which are linked when the switch is in the middle position.

Every time the switch passes through the middle position the signal will move, and the position that the switch ends up should correspond with the signal position.

If you need to resync just move the switch to the middle position and back again.

Oh Suzie, so far you seem to have the simplest option. I'm a mechanical engineer but not electro mechanical. Can you advise: -

1. do you connect the yellow wires to opposite sides of the terminals, i.e. top left and bottom right? otherwise I can't see what the link does.

2. what would happen if the switch was accidentally knocked to the centre position. In my head it would seem to make a permanent connection between the 2 yellow wires and fry the signal!

10 hours ago, Suzie said:

Connecting the two yellow wires for an extended period will not damage the signal.

I'm sorry, but I think you'll find it does. That's why this operation is such a tricky one and why they say you must only have a momentary connection between the 2 yellow wires.